"The Blue" - 06 Tundra DC Limited - Backcountry Camping Build/Adventure Thread

ns7i

UUfjJI4.jpg

I'm getting pretty excited. These go on with the lift next week!

Kpack

Adventurer
I've been really happy with my SCS wheels and KO2's. Nice road manners on the KO2's and so far have been just fine off road. However, I don't like that they KO2's have no "protection" around the rim. My wheels have so much rock/trail rash now it's not funny. Duratrac's would have offered far more protection.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I really enjoyed your video. Awesome truck. How do you like the twin Engels? I'm thinking about a National Luna dual zone fridge. That'll be a little ways down the line though. Maybe spring 2021 at the earliest. Thanks for sharing!

I just ripped out the Dometic 75L dual zone and put the Engel 40L back in. I have an Engel 22 quart arriving on Friday that will be a freezer. Those Engels are very durable and low-power draw.

I don't have any experience with Nat'l Luna but have heard they are very good.

smokeysevin

Observer
I've been really happy with my SCS wheels and KO2's. Nice road manners on the KO2's and so far have been just fine off road. However, I don't like that they KO2's have no "protection" around the rim. My wheels have so much rock/trail rash now it's not funny. Duratrac's would have offered far more protection.

I had not noticed the lack of a "rim protector" until you pointed that out. I really liked my duratracs but I majorly chewed them up with a bad alignment and they were due for replacement. Goodyear didn't offer the 295 size I went with this time so I went BFG.

Sean

ns7i

I had not noticed the lack of a "rim protector" until you pointed that out. I really liked my duratracs but I majorly chewed them up with a bad alignment and they were due for replacement. Goodyear didn't offer the 295 size I went with this time so I went BFG.
This is my second round of KO2s and I too hadn't noticed that issue. For me they provide a great balance of off road/on road/snow/rain/ice performance. I don't like how they tend to accumulate gravel (and then throw it). I do like how long they last. I had my last set for 40k before I sold my 4Runner and they had plenty of tread left.

longtrail

Curious how the wheels/tires fit, was 4.3 in backspacing intentional? I'm looking to put 285s on my 06 dblcab as well, but not interested in wheel spacers and want to minimize rubbing. I've read that 4in bs is the sweet spot...

ns7i

Curious how the wheels/tires fit, was 4.3 in backspacing intentional? I'm looking to put 285s on my 06 dblcab as well, but not interested in wheel spacers and want to minimize rubbing. I've read that 4in bs is the sweet spot...
My research indicated that between 4 and 4.5" BS was the sweet spot. My current wheels are actually Tacoma wheels the previous owner put on. They have over 5" of BS and are already very close to the UCAs so I knew they wouldn't work for an oversized tire. The 4x4 shop that's putting on my lift said they'd do some minor trimming to make them fit. I'll post back next week after the lift and wheel/tires are installed.

odonekanobe

Observer
I just noticed the power inverter switch in the background of this. Was that a factory option on the Limiteds? I didn't realize the first gens ever got such a thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's factory. My '04 Limited DC has it as well but the switch is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. The outlet is at the bottom rear of the center console.

ns7i

Just put down a deposit. In 12-13 months, "The Blue" is getting a Vagabond Nomad camper.

Last edited:

ns7i

Picked up the truck from the shop last week. Icon Stage 2 suspension, SCS Stealth6s wrapped in 285/70/17 KO2s, SPC UCAs, new OEM CV joints & LCAs, new steering rack bushings. Finally had a chance today to take her up into the mountains. This is on the lesser traveled side of Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Range Mountains.
C1UuALt.jpg

Sk19AnX.jpg

We're headed to Ouray/Silverton/Telluride in about two weeks so this served as a bit of a shakedown.

ns7i

Earlier in September we headed to the San Juan Mountains of Colorado to drive the must drive trails there...

We started in Ouray and took the Mineral Creek Trail to Engineer Pass. Mineral Creek seemed to challenge the long wheelbase more than any of the other trails we rode. Tight switchbacks requiring careful tire placement were tricky, especially with the common narrow shelf roads with exposure made it a great introduction to 4x4 with this truck. The Alpine Loop can be made much easier by avoiding Mineral Creek and entering from Lake City or Silverton.

uTcwaFL.jpg

8FCUQZe.jpg

vtiRjLD.jpg

2ZpvEtN.jpg

Camping in mid September with a 16mo kid, 2 dogs, and a pregnant wife proved to be more challenging than the trails. For us it was still worth it to keep our adventurous spirit alive despite a rapidly growing family. Here we are on the Eastern side of Engineer Pass at one of the many camp spots along Henson Creek. I can't recommend camping so close to a stream with a very curious toddler.

zsm3ATb.jpg

After enjoying some creature comforts in Lake City, we headed towards Cinnamon Pass, but first we spent some camping at Grizzly Gulch, hiking towards Sunshine and Red Cloud Peaks, and summitting Handies Peak (14058ft) via American Basin.

QQWDgdL.jpg

VcpUxkz.jpg

8ucmGWO.jpg

PaixC44.jpg

HdM2VvF.jpg

Despite getting snowed on at the summit, it proved to be a great hike and the perfect first 14er for our little guy.

The next morning we headed up Cinnamon Pass

wqAC0rY.jpg

After a night in Silverton, we took a ride over Ophir Pass which was gorgeous. Not the most technical trail but scenically was one of the most beautiful.

uJyUasQ.jpg

LctaJ1N.jpg

Telluride definitely doesn't carry the same vibe as Ouray, Silverton, and Lake City but it was nice walking the trails in its majestic valley. The trip wouldn't be complete without a drive over Imogene which fortunately reopened just a few days prior.

DpwiEmq.jpg

1sN5fjR.jpg

TURIMOL.jpg

We'll definitely be back to the San Juan Mountains to explore more. It felt good to get a feel for what the truck can do and what it needs. I had one uncomfortable moment backing up a steep switchback where the brakes were lacking power. I'm thinking about doing the GX470 caliper swap. The lift/tires got it done just fine. Sometimes the longer wheelbase meant backing up once on switchbacks but generally was fine. Definitely a capable truck as one would expect from a Toyota. I haven't posted about it yet but I did install the OVS 270 awning but I actually had to remove it mid trip because the tracks on the topper were poorly installed by the previous owner. It was very nice to be able to have so much awning coverage so easily and it seems to be very well built.

Next up, White Rim Road in early November!

Antwon412

That is a good looking truck. I had an 06 double cab for a while as well. Got it from my father in law. Unfortunately it was only 2WD. I was very tempted to build it up into sort of a pre-runner but decided I really wanted to have four-wheel-drive so ended up selling it.

Looking forward to following your build!

ns7i

Been a while since I posted here. Things have been quiet on the adventure front since we had another baby in February. I'll add some White Rim Trail photos later from Nov 2020. Added White Knuckle sliders. Sold Vagabond Nomad spot because it seemed like it was never going to get built and ordered an OVRLND camper for delivery probably in June. I'm pretty immersed in what that build out is going to look like.

smokeysevin

Observer
Any recommendations for traveling with younglings?

Our first is almost 9 months old and I am trying to convince my wife to let me drag them along to Big Bend in March.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier