"The Blue" - 06 Tundra DC Limited - Backcountry Camping Build/Adventure Thread

ns7i

Any recommendations for traveling with younglings?

Our first is almost 9 months old and I am trying to convince my wife to let me drag them along to Big Bend in March.

Sean
My oldest was about 17 months old on the Alpine Loop trip. Things went generally well here. One thing I can't recommend is 4x4ing with your pregnant wife. That was harder than the little guy.

I think my general advice regarding little ones in the outdoors is don't just all of a sudden take them on a trip like this. Do little trips here and there. My kids have been going on hikes since they were a week old.

Other than that, lower your drive time plans. I think 3-4 hours per day is reasonable with the occasional longer haul. We thought we'd be clever and leave here at 7pm (roughly bed time) and drive through the night to the hotel in Montrose, CO (about 7hr drive). Well it was all good and fun until we woke up the 17mo at 2am and tried to get him to go back to sleep without screaming in the hotel. Definitely plan out stops along the way.

Big Bend is definitely on the (very long) list of places we'd like to visit.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
I’ll second the limit driving time per day. Also reduce expectations. If you think you’ll do a hike of x miles or Y time, reduce by half. The reciprocal rule applies as well, double expected time to get ready for anything.

All of that said, I love our travel buddy. He’s 6 now and has been on camping trips/road trips since he was about 3mos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ns7i

I'm going to play a bit of catchup on this build thread because things are quickly escalating with the build so expect a lot more posts.

Moab 2020
Hot off our trip to the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado, we headed to Moab to drive the White Rim Trail (and see some of the other sites in this area). It's kinda crazy to me that this amazingly different spot of the world is only 400 miles away and I'm surprised I haven't explored the area before. We broke the drive out with a night in Glenwood Springs and took the scenic route on highway 128 that follows the Colorado River into Moab. It was the perfect appetizer for our many course desert southwest meal.

c277Nj8h.jpg

We found time to quickly check into the hotel and head out to Dead Horse State Park.

w8MF3D6h.jpg

Me2n63oh.jpg

That night was election night. Given the tumultuous nature of the 2020 Election and its unsettled results, we were really curious what we were going to return to after 3 days on the wildernesslike White Rim Trail. We were pretty excited to escape the madness of civilization for the solitude of the desert. Long ago I gained an affinity for Edward Abbey and was so excited to explore Canyonlands, a national park that truly seems to embody his spirit and philosophies about public land. We were headed counterclockwise on the WRT so we took Mineral Canyon road down to the Mineral Bottom and entered Canyonlands. By late morning we were to our first campspot in Taylor Canyon at the site of Zeus and Moses. We walked for a while down the Alcove Springs trail and headed back to camp for dinner.

EB2yyLXh.jpg

SZhpdZSh.jpg

ve1QWuTh.jpg

We got up early and hit the road. We backtracked down Taylor Canyon road to the typical White Rim Trail and made our way to Upheaval Bottom which is often where people have to turn around. It was uneventful for us in November. The drive over Hardscrabble was a fun one. After many stops to take in the beauty we camped up high at the top of Murphy's Hogback. The stars were spectacular that night. We walked toward the Island in the Sky via the Murphy Trail and then headed back for dinner and a good night's rest.

QwPQ2yDh.jpg

QdbE9j5h.jpg

The third day was a rough one. I definitely made some mistakes on this trip and they really reared their head on the third day. First mistake was taking my pregnant wife on a 4x4 trip like this in the first place. Second mistake was not airing down out of fuel range anxiety (we finished with almost half a tank). These mistakes compounded into having a very unhappy trip partner but I guess we live and learn. At this point in the trip, we'd fully absorbed our palate for absolutely gorgeous views and we became rather complacent of the beauty. It'd be like "oh look, another amazingly beautiful canyon, ok cool, let's get going." With that said, our hike up much of Lathrop Canyon was the finest hiking we'd done all trip and was a much needed reprieve from the bumpy roads. We made our way up the Shafer trail to the top and headed on back to civilization to enjoy a warm shower and some asian fusion takeout.

aNixtAeh.jpg

AGwgplwh.jpg

VnHm2Och.jpg

yl3lBHXh.jpg

ducehgeh.jpg

1W5YqQSh.jpg

After the White Rim Trail, the crowds of Arches ruin the experience. It just doesn't seem as special. All the same we hiked to Delicate Arch and Panorama Arch but wish we were in a wilder version of the desert. We enjoyed some of the awesome Quesadillas at Quesadilla Mobilla and browsing the awesome selection of books at Back of Beyond Books. From there we got one more night of sleep in and packed the truck up and made the long drive back to Wyoming.

KoYPIybh.jpg

cZqQ7vSh.jpg

As a new parent, I find myself testing the boundaries of what the new family situation is capable of and this trip was no exception. It's important to test those boundaries and also remind yourself that just because you've got small children, doesn't mean you can't go on adventures the way you used to. Of course, you might want to leave the 100 mile bucket list 4x4 trail for when your wife isn't pregnant.

Last edited:

ns7i

Let's fast forward a little bit more than a year. It was a busy time with a newborn kid and not as much time for adventure. Any adventure we had was via airplane and mostly to share the new baby with the family. But in late 2021, I sold my spot for my Vagabond Outdoors Nomad wedge camper. I just got tired of waiting and was fed up with the lack of communication. I'll keep my rant short with a simple piece of advice. If you're making a low 5 figure investment in a camper and you've already paid half of that in deposit and you can't get any kind of communication from the company, you should not only be concerned about getting your camper anytime soon but you should also be concerned about the support you're going to get AFTER you receive the camper. So, I ordered an OVRLND Camper. I actually got really excited about having a square bodied camper with a full poptop for my family of 4 (6 if you include the dogs). Jay at OVRLND was incredible to deal with. He operates a tight ship that not only is very communicative but also delivers their campers on time. They're tanks and lightweight which is exactly what I wanted.

I paid the final balance on the camper and setup a pickup date for early May. So, I quickly ditched the topper, sealed the bedrails, made a baseplate out of 1/2" baltic birch, and began the whirlwind trip to Flagstaff. After a 10hr drive and a great night of sleep, I dropped the car off at 8am with the fine folks at OVRLND campers. From there I ubered to the airport where I had a cheap rental car waiting for me. I figured while they take the day to install it, I'll go check out the Grand Canyon. I hear it's a site to see. Went for a quick trail run along the rim and down part of the South Kaibab trail and returned the car to the airport and eagerly went to OVRLND to see the camper on the truck for the first time.

9nggHFRh.jpg

36wJbrAh.jpg

fiptKbFh.jpg

PIFuoXQh.jpg

BhCjaLNh.jpg

After a quick walkthrough of maintenance and safety, I got on the road and made the 4hr drive to Valley of the Gods. Arriving at darkness, I just picked the first available pullout for camping. In the morning I woke up like this and found myself full of energy for the long 9hr drive home.

bwBLJ3eh.jpg

ns7i

Which brings me to this week. The OVRLND camper comes as a shell. There's really nothing but a platform for a bed in it. This was part of the allure to me. I look at it as an awesome blank canvas to build out the adventure rig of my dreams and that's exactly what I'm working on now. I mocked up some ideas in Sketchup

qopg3Nxh.png

I ordered the 80/20 extrusion from TNUTZ along with a myriad of insanely priced connectors. I'm going to quickly deviate to go through some tips for ordering 80/20 for buildouts like these:
  1. It very likely might be cheaper to have the supplier cut the extrusion for you. I went into this planning on cutting it all myself and found out I'd save hundreds of dollars by having TNUTZ cut it for me to save on shipping.
  2. The end fastener is one of the cheapest and strongest ways to connect these. Everyone focuses on corner brackets which are great because you don't need to do any machining but these brackets are so stupidly priced and DIY is not easy and not nearly as accurate. I had TNUTZ tap the ends and add access holes to the ends of the pieces where it made sense. If it wasn't for a few midpoint access holes I needed this would have turned into assembling IKEA furnuture.
  3. But that's never the case. I'd recommend ordering on the prouder side of lengths. You will realize truck beds arent perfect rectangles and you probably mismeasured something or neglected some area. I realized there was a 2" difference of the length of the truck bed at the top versus the bottom. So, my last tip is even if you have your extrusion precut, pretapped, and predrilled, make sure you have the tools on hand to cut, tap, and drill because you'll likely need to make modifications on the fly.
Et8MVKTh.jpg

6OXvB84h.jpg

Still a lot more work to go. I'm building it up, seeing how it can be improved, recutting where necessary because I am a perfectionist. Eventually I'll be happy with it and I'll add some loctite to every bolt, drill holes into the baseplate to mount Teenuts (the kind that hammer into the bottom), cut the wood for the paneling and the top of the benches and then electrical and insulation. I've got a ways to go but as someone who's been thinking about this camper build for almost 2 years, it's so exciting to finally be there.

Other next steps: 700lbs springs. 650lbs springs really aren't enough to lift a 1st Gen Tundra Double Cab in the first place. Adding the camper meant i was rubbing more than I'd like and I was down to about 0.5" lift over stock. Also trip planning for this summer!

antsobrils

Looking really good. Did you end up putting anything underneath your plywood sub floor.

In the middle of my build plan so all this is extremely helpful!

ns7i

@ns7i Love a good FGT camper build. What size bed does the ovrlnd camper have? Are you able to sleep E-W or is it only N-S?
My bed is 65x80". I'm 6'3 so it's more of a N-S setup for me. With that said, one of the perks of the OVRLND is that it's built for the truck so there's no excessive overhang on any sides and I appreciate that when wheeling (my truck is already big enough)

dirtnsmores

I noticed it's been over a year since you posted here. Do you still have the camper? I've been searching for somebody with this first gen double cab Tundra and the OVRLND camper built. I have almost the same exact scenario as you. Two kids and a dog, the wife and I were thinking with the kids get too big for this camper they could sleep in a tent outside. How are you liking it? Would you do anything different? The only concern I have is if they build it to the exact size of the first gen Tundra, the resale might be a little bit difficult if I decide to get rid of it. Any recommendations for ordering like must have features or things you would have changed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94