The "bird feeder" snorkel head - what's it's purpose?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
I had originally posted this under my build up thread but did not get too many answers so I'll try it again here.

Can anyone tell me if there is a useful purpose to the snokel "mailbox" or "birdfeeder" type cover over the snokel head as seen here:

IMG_2150-fixed.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

From another angle, where the birds can feed...:elkgrin:
IMG_3124.jpg

Underneath the cover, is the standard OEM Toyota snorkel head as seen here:
635699502_dTvLc-M.jpg

Photo credit: Hltoppr (Hope you don't mind)

The reason I ask, is that after a minor issue recently involving new rear springs and a garage door being too short I've been investigating the possibility of removing the "birdfeeder" cover. The only reason I have not removed it, is that I trust the Toyota engineers way more than my own engineering judgment. I'm sure they had design calculations and test data to support installing one of these, I can't take it off without undertanding why it was put there in the firt place and what effect it will have if any. For the record, no garage door or snorkel was harmed during the incident just a few scuff marks on top of the snorkel...:sombrero:

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
From what i understand the standard cyclone style precleaners only work at low speed, example earthmoving equipment etc, so may be they put the shield around them to improve filtering.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
My understanding is that is that the cover is a sand pre-cleaner. Genunie Toyota part designed for vehicles who encounter desert sandstorm conditions.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
My understanding is that is that the cover is a sand pre-cleaner. Genunie Toyota part designed for vehicles who encounter desert sandstorm conditions.

Mountainpete,
Thanks for the input, I was thinking that it would be something along those lines. The one thing that suprises me, is that brand new Toyota 70 series vehicles that come with a snorkel direct from Toyota don't have these "birdfeeder" covers. I see lots of these rigs on the dealer lots or going arround without the additional cover.

I'm going to have a look to see if I can remove the cover for normal use then re-install it for Outback travel or if I expect excessively dusty condidtions.

Cheers,
P

P.S. Nice pics on your website.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Don't mind at all...I didn't know that the OEM cover was underneath....learn somethin' new everyday about land cruisers...

I'd assume it keeps sand out by limiting the intake....

-H-

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but have you tried removing the cover?

I'm debating whether to get the 7x hat or the 80 series birdfeeder for my 80.

For some odd reason, birdfeeder version is actually cheaper :confused:

If the cover can be removed and it really is a standard hat underneath, I don't see why I should pay more for less :eek:

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
Sorry to rehash this thread again, but I'm still confused as to how the bird feeder actually works :confused:

Here are a few pix of my current 7x series mushroom snorkel head (FleaBay knockoff)

dorkelemblemstick2.JPG

dorkelemblemstick5.JPG

newfjscubasnorkel5.JPG

newfjscubasnorkel6.JPG

newfjscubasnorkel8.JPG

newfjscubasnorkel7.JPG

And a few pix of an OEM style bird feeder (also a FleaBay knockoff)

OEMBIRDFEEDERHAT1.jpg

OEMBIRDFEEDERHAT2.jpg

OEMBIRDFEEDERHAT3.jpg

Both heads appear to only ingest air from the bottom through the ring of fins.

The top of the 7x series mushroom is practically sealed, so I don't really see the purpose of the bird feeder housing for anything other than being a bird feeder :confused:

What am I missing here?

Another thing that boggles me is the pricing.

The OEM 7x series mushroom sells for $20 bucks more than the OEM 80 series bird feeder through dealerships :confused:

doug720

Expedition Leader
Snake,

What finish is that on sheet metal? Looks good!

Hi jack over.

I have the old fashion snorkel top and it works well for me. Did Toyota use the bird feeder on the diesels also? It looks restrictive if it only draws from the bottom, but Mr. T and friends seem to know what their doing.

Doug

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
Snake,

What finish is that on sheet metal? Looks good!

Thanks

It's bedliner (Raptor Black/Al's Tan)

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-t...like-giant-oreo-cookie-bedliner-lots-pix.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/553930-ok-im-ready-weekend-more-bedliner.html

Hi jack over.

I have the old fashion snorkel top and it works well for me. Did Toyota use the bird feeder on the diesels also? It looks restrictive if it only draws from the bottom, but Mr. T and friends seem to know what their doing.

Doug

I didn't notice any difference in power after installing the dorkel, even with the 7x series mushroom.

I never tried using the supplied Safari style standard scoop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz