The Big Meander, Summer 2011

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I think we all took about 400 pictures of this..

i-dq29zSj-XL.jpg

:drool: I'm sad I missed out on that when I was in that area, next trip for sure! Awesome photo. Glad you and your family are enjoying the trip.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Where's Colin?

i-dZQhSP6-XL.jpg

Sometimes there's just nothing like kicking back on a big rock in the sun.

DSC2462-XL.jpg

i-4QTcGn3-XL.jpg

So much to see.

i-T5NdNV3-XL.jpg

i-qc3mvQC-XL.jpg

There are a few nice overlooks along the road out to the big one.

i-M9QkQQT-XL.jpg

Beautiful.

i-fwcmbct-XL.jpg

I really enjoy owning a Jeep.

i-RpvV8mC-XL.jpg

i-vZZ2tcC-XL.jpg

Back toward the main road and civilization..

i-9v9GmBr-XL.jpg

Big vistas..

i-NX2Dz5m-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
We didn't need jackets, heading into Moab. The ambient air thermometer is pretty accurate once we've been underway for a bit, and we'd been on the highway for a while..

i-LPMkJsK-XL.jpg

Saw this pair of nicely-outfitted KLRs outside the Visitor Center in town. Never happened upon the riders though. Really made me wish we'd been able to bring motorcycles along..

i-cK2bVf8-XL.jpg

We putzed around a bit, had some ice cream. We'd already rented a spot at the KOA south of town and setup the tents, so we took a drive along the river to see some petroglyphs..

i-VKGgJTt-XL.jpg

Of course, it had gotten even warmer in the shade down by the water..

i-DCsz9Vq-XL.jpg

Where there isn't art, there are slings and bolts for climbing. I need to come back here in November with the shoes, harness, rope and a belayer..

i-jPfQSGL-XL.jpg

Neat area, and shade!

i-NXNwgJL-XL.jpg

DSC2478-XL.jpg

It's everywhere..

i-b3Zmxz5-XL.jpg

i-FDVRGTh-XL.jpg

John

K.C.

Wanderer
Looks like a great time. Can't wait to get out there on longer trips with my kids (2 y/o and 2 m/o). Never thought about the KOAs either, great stuff.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Looks like a great time. Can't wait to get out there on longer trips with my kids (2 y/o and 2 m/o). Never thought about the KOAs either, great stuff.

Thanks. The beauty of the KOA campgrounds is that they're a very, very easy known-quantity. The adventure aspect is certainly lacking, but for a family trip, doing one of those every two or three nights sure can be something for everyone who is only luke-warm on camping to look forward to. Clean, hot showers and flush toilets do have value. Obviously we're car-camping, but at least we do interesting stuff between sleeps (or try to).

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
i-RCKXCV9-XL.jpg

DSC2483-XL.jpg

DSC2489-XL.jpg

DSC2491-XL.jpg

Just around the bend are dinosaur footprints.

DSC2505-XL.jpg

DSC2510-XL.jpg

And just slightly beyond is the downhill end of Long Canyon..

i-ndkMMq5-XL.jpg

i-h8VzchX-XL.jpg

Before too long the route starts climbing..

i-p2vK8dn-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Beautiful blue skies, even with the heat. Something we're not used to back East..

i-xdG2CZC-XL.jpg

DSC2523-XL.jpg

i-jHKsmjf-XL.jpg

Just a fun, easy road..

i-4kQPKWX-XL.jpg

i-Jbc7pML-XL.jpg

i-b2rnw8R-XL.jpg

i-5tjRcZW-XL.jpg

Yeah, it fit..

i-ntDSKPS-XL.jpg

Some sand..

i-4bpz65S-XL.jpg

DSC2536-XL.jpg

DSC2538-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Great photography!

Thanks. I've got, like, 2 different things (possibly more) going on in my head at the same time and haven't been able to catch this thread up to where it needs to be (finished) and still have a boatload of photos to sort through. Thanks for bearing with.

John

B.L. Sims

Observer
I enjoyed reading your story but one thing that seemed to stick with me was your comment about the "allure of the plains".

It is hard to explain and its something to different people. I lived in the panhandle for a while and have burned more than a few thousand miles across them. While we always joked about the lack of trees and the extreme flatness of it all thats almost what makes them interesting. That there is a place so wide open and you can see for miles and miles. There isnt anything to crowd you in. Its as much of a wonder as a mountain peak.
People sought them, and crossed them to get away from the constrains of life back East and its that history of adventure that adds a good ammount of character. You cant help but wonder what took place out there. Its like being out there all alone- its scary if you think about it, but peaceful at the same time. It, and the mountains are the only places that havent been almost completley swallowed up by urban sprawl.

But thats me.

And good on you for getting your son out there.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I enjoyed reading your story but one thing that seemed to stick with me was your comment about the "allure of the plains".

It is hard to explain and its something to different people. I lived in the panhandle for a while and have burned more than a few thousand miles across them. While we always joked about the lack of trees and the extreme flatness of it all thats almost what makes them interesting. That there is a place so wide open and you can see for miles and miles. There isnt anything to crowd you in. Its as much of a wonder as a mountain peak.
People sought them, and crossed them to get away from the constrains of life back East and its that history of adventure that adds a good ammount of character. You cant help but wonder what took place out there. Its like being out there all alone- its scary if you think about it, but peaceful at the same time. It, and the mountains are the only places that havent been almost completley swallowed up by urban sprawl.

But thats me.

And good on you for getting your son out there.

Yeah. Almost Zen perhaps.

If I ever get the DSL working again at home, I'll update some more. Not too pleased with Frontier Communications this week.

John

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier