The best kind of hard decision - Advice

mikebmrx

Finally decided to give in and get a discovery, the rig I've been wanting for years. With that, I'd love some advice. Tonight I'm looking at a 2004 S at a lot with only a carfax for history. It's been regularly reported to be serviced at the local LR dealership but that's it. Or, there is a 2002 SE from an owner that has had the heads recently done and seems to have taken good care of it through the years.

My question is this, which one? Everything I've read says the 2004 is the best. But, service history seems more important. Will I be missing much going from the 2004 to the 2002? From what I've read I'll be missing the CDL and the 4.6L. Are those to options worth the gamble?

I'll be buying this rig as a daily driver and family offroader. It won't be for hardcore offroading. My style is more about not letting an obstacle stop my exploring rather than searching out the hardest challenge.

Thanks guys

NCLR015

Adventurer
CDL makes a big difference. Me and another guy went on a trail run years back. I had an 01 I left unlocked, he locked his 01. He had way less trouble getting up things.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Always diff lock. I have been looking for the shifter from a 04 to install in my 01. After having 2 D1's with CDL I won't wheel without it.

TyScot

You didn't say what milage either one has, what's the overall condition of them both? Take a poke around them both very well. They're Disco's so they will both have an oil leak that's a guarantee :) Take note of the drive shafts and and such. If the heads were redone on the 2002 recently you should be able to tell as they'll be pretty clean compared to the rest of the motor. Honestly, I own one of each, and 02 and an 04. My 02 has obviously had a much harder life, I bought it cheap with a blown head gasket, did the work myself and I'm in it for very little. I paid a lot more when I bought my 04 (have had it longer), It had higher mileage then I was really looking for at the time but it had been pampered, I keep a good eye on things with it and honestly I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. My 02, even though it runs great now I seem to have to deal with small demons here and there which I'm sure is because it was not maintained nearly as well as my 04. I don't do any hard core off roading but from what I do or have done, the 04 hands down is the better one. I'd say if you go with the 02, keep and eye out for an 04 at a wrecking yard and grab the T case and shifter to get the cdl, I believe you can grab the module also to make the computer "cdl" aware, other's would be able to tell you more then me on that subject though. Happy shopping!

MLu

Adventurer
All things being equal, 04 any day of the week. Coming from personal experience, most of my problems have been to do with more or less spectacular leakage from various high-pressure systems. In retrospect, here's what I would do: Take a flashlight, a screwdriver to get rid of some of the plastic covers and a good few minutes to really poke around and under the engine bay. Follow the ACE lines, the power steering lines, the cooler lines for the automatic transmission and check for rubbing, signs of leaks, crappy-looking connections and any temporary-permanent DYI-type quick fixes. You could always ask the dealership where the 04 is supposed to have been serviced, they'll have records. My D2 came from an owner who really seemed to have taken care of it, but there still turned out to be a whole bunch of things that reached the end of their tether within a year or so of ownership.

mikebmrx

I checked them both out, the 2004 actually twice, and ended up with neither one. The 2002 was simply beat. The 2004 I looked at had the knock at operating temp that lead me to believe a liner had slipped, the front shaft hadn't been replaced and there was seepage behind the heads. All things that just couldn't justify the price. In the end, after driving them and getting to play with the CDL, my mind is made up to hold out for a 2004. So now the hunt is on.

Thanks for the advice guys.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I checked them both out, the 2004 actually twice, and ended up with neither one. The 2002 was simply beat. The 2004 I looked at had the knock at operating temp that lead me to believe a liner had slipped, the front shaft hadn't been replaced and there was seepage behind the heads. All things that just couldn't justify the price. In the end, after driving them and getting to play with the CDL, my mind is made up to hold out for a 2004. So now the hunt is on.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Good luck with the search. Depending on your price MAYBE keep your eyes peeled for a D3 in okay shape. Not that I don't love the D2 :)

bri

Adventurer
I contemplated 2004. Until I found a low mileage 98. IMO better engine and easier to work on and modify.

Ray_G

Explorer
I contemplated 2004. Until I found a low mileage 98. IMO better engine and easier to work on and modify.

Biased but without question concur with this; the one place Dii's are a bit more user friendly is if you're using it to haul people on the road a lot. Not that a D1 is bad (till you start modifying it).

In the grand scheme of things between headgasket issues and thin frames, I will always think the D1 > Dii. Just hard to find them these days unmolested.

bri

Adventurer
Yeah. I have a wife and a dog, so D1 is easy decision.

You can find plenty that are unmolested. There are quite a few out there always. Just need to search craigslist and not be too picky on location. If you are lazy and want a turn key setup, the person to go to is Elias Christeas.

use this google or omit the year.

1999 land rover discovery site: craigslist.org

https://www.searchlock.com/search?q=1999+land+rover+discovery+site:+craigslist.org

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
The hp/tq difference between the 4.0 and 4.6 is very noticeable.

I would pick the nicer one. Personally I hate the duragrain in the S models. Real leather trucks have the captains arm rests on the front seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles