The best camping pillow I've found...

M35A2

Tinkerer
...is not a pillow at all; it's a blanket.

Almost as useful and versatile as a towel, this inexpensive polyester blanket has proven to be the most comfortable camping pillow I've ever used.

In terms of flexibility it can attain almost any shape or arrangement desired, from neat scroll to wadded lump. It has the perfect amount of squishiness. It is adjustable. It is easy to clean. And, amazingly, it is still a blanket and blankets are, well, almost as handy as a towel.

Shown here in compact form:

Pillow Blanket.jpg

BTW, for those of you whose sensibilities demand a pillowcase, the best camping pillowcase I've found is...

...a T shirt.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
after trying all manner of air pillows, water bags, soft gear, etc;
I use a travel pillow from walmart when using the cot (Jeep camping).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Travel-Pillow/17047745
and a Slumber Jack camping pillow when travelling lighter.

The travel pillow compresses relatively well and is bigger than the camping pillows (fits along side the sleeping bag in the wet weather bag).
Enjoy!

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Seems like the problem would be if you needed to use the blanket then you wouldn't have a pillow lol. Plus it's bulky; but I also don't think there is any one way, always do what works for you and pillows are definitely a personal preference!

I'm pretty much in love with my STS Aeros pillow
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Aeros+Pillow+Ultra+Light+&o1=0&o2=0&o3=574-48

Folds up tiny, inflates to however tall you like it. I've been taking it not just for camping but for hotel/vacation stays since you never know what you are going to get there. At 2.5 oz's, it goes anywhere.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
When car/truck camping I bring my down pillows from home, if backpacking I wrap my Polartec fleece pullover around a down jacket and it is quite comfy. Whenever space/weight are an issue I would never pack a separate pillow when you have plenty of sensible clothing that work just fine.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've been eyeing my kids memory foam toddler pillow lately... A little expensive... But I think it might end up in the camp gear.

Anyone else try those?

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
When I'm really tight on space I use a rolled up blanket like OP advised and also putting your clothes in your sleeping bag stuff sack works. I do the stuff sack when I'm bicycle touring.

M35A2

Tinkerer
Seems like the problem would be if you needed to use the blanket then you wouldn't have a pillow lol. Plus it's bulky; but I also don't think there is any one way, always do what works for you and pillows are definitely a personal preference!

For sure!! :) My solution to the blanket dilemma is - bring another blanket! I actually usually have several ranging from period wool WWII Army blankets (my fine linens) to newer iterations of the classic Army blanket. The newer ones are wool/polyester blends and the newest, like the pillow blanket pictured, are 100% synthetic.

This gives me a lot of flexibility and they do not take much space. I like the versatility of Army blankets. I usually also have a moving pad or two.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I use a Nemo Fillow on top of my duffle bag of clothes.

fillo.jpg

JohnRobinson

When car/truck camping I bring my down pillows from home, if backpacking I wrap my Polartec fleece pullover around a down jacket and it is quite comfy. Whenever space/weight are an issue I would never pack a separate pillow when you have plenty of sensible clothing that work just fine.
I agree with your opinion, my wife likes these pilows.

otis24

Observer
For a long time I was into backpacking only and would use a thermarest compressible pillow that I bought in the late 90's.

Now that I'm using my truck to camp I bring a couple pillows from home.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
after trying all manner of air pillows, water bags, soft gear, etc;
I use a travel pillow from walmart when using the cot (Jeep camping).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Travel-Pillow/17047745
and a Slumber Jack camping pillow when travelling lighter.

The travel pillow compresses relatively well and is bigger than the camping pillows (fits along side the sleeping bag in the wet weather bag).
Enjoy!
I have a couple of Walmart travel pillows as well. After a trip, I just chuck 'em in the washer with the rest of my clothes, and good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior