The Best Big bear has to offer in 2 days....Dishpan,Holcomb,John Bull, Lower larga ..

m3pedro

Observer
The guys from Como Chingas Offroad (CCOR) announced they were going to do a pre-run for the annual CCOR Big bear fest ..... I had always wanted to do these infamous trails in big bear so I jumped at the chance to bash some rocks with the best.

....and bash rocks I did. My skid plates never took such a beating!

2 days full of dirt and rocks, great weather......and new friends.

On saturday we started in Lake Arrowhead, running DishPan Springs,
followed by Lower and Upper Holcomb and then ending the day with John Bull. Then on sunday a bit more relaxed run thru John Bull connector, Upper Holcomb, followed by Lower Larga.

Hawk lead the group expertly thru the trails with Bajatoy running cleanup and taking notes for thier pre-run planning.

We started of at Dish pan......with a group of 7. My FJ, Bajatoy, Bobby's Land cruiser and Hawks 4runner and 4 other jeeps.

IMG_9387_zpslmcetdp5.jpg

Things started to get rocky real quick

PBG_4841_zpsgxwtovrw.jpg

PBG_4843_zps4kkqptp8.jpg

arriving at the first major waterfall obstacle.

PBG_4845_zpspbuhmuh7.jpg

Hawk went for the big boy line and was not able to get up but his attempt was spectacular ( I missed him burying his rear bumper with his front wheels in the air)

IMG_9388_zpsvmrzh2c5.jpg

IMG_9389_zpsun1yi51k.jpg

PBG_4849_zpsq4mtzdeo.jpg

Bobby was successful in getting up the big boy line but then was kinda stuck in a predicament at the top with no way safely down.....
IMG_9393_zpsfs5safko.jpg

IMG_9391_zpskr9utucz.jpg

Meanwhile....I tried to squeeze by him as they winched him to safety.....

I got stuck by the tree on the left....and failed to pick the right line....and unfortunately started the trip with a rock on my door..... I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. My first trail tattoo....damn.

The tree and the rock (by the base) that decided to take a paint sample.
IMG_9394_zpsehrti6sk.jpg

all said it could of been worse....it scraped and mostly didn't push in much. Less of a dent and more of a scratch..... ow well.......chicks did scars right?

IMG_9395_zpsezrccuam.jpg

seams so easy from up here

IMG_9396_zpsjwr1dyco.jpg

--

Hawk Flexing out his 4Runner.....such a clean ride! I dont know how he does it!

IMG_9397_zpstnwx2lpd.jpg

PBG_4861_zpsln8ssq3v.jpg

As we got higher the weather closed in....
PBG_4862_zpsepmf2hwd.jpg

Soon after a small break for lunch we got to the gatekeeper for Holcomb. This first obstacle (where the yellow jeep is.....caught me out....highcentered...damn!

PBG_4863_zpsw4gycrfk.jpg

I tried a few lines thru it but always ended up highcentered. Finally they tried unsuccesfully to tug me out....

IMG_9398_zpsusvobjci.jpg

Later hooked up my winch to a tree and pulled myself over the rocks.

Traveling thru Holcomb valley still with eerie sight of all the burned trees from the massive butler fire 8 years ago or so...

PBG_4866_zpslhdsasba.jpg

IMG_9399_zpsfm5wess2.jpg

PBG_4871_zpsv2a0da3e.jpg

drove thru a bunch of boulder fields along the way...some wet which made things intresting...

pulling over to let by some traffic...

PBG_4872_zpst0ulxaii.jpg

IMG_9400_zpsmmwvk0p9.jpg

The famous boulder stream crossing....I managed to get by this one.....it's much easier going down...

IMG_9401_zps2wxnzbhy.jpg

m3pedro

Observer
Finally we arrived at the gatekeeper for the infamous John Bull trail. Although we were running it in "reverse" which is a bit easier....

PBG_4874_zps0tutn7dv.jpg

PBG_4875_zps0jhvxrui.jpg

PBG_4878_zpsbzqwp34c.jpg

PBG_4880_zpsrtzciwlt.jpg

Took this one while we waited at the top of the trail for many backed up trucks to get thru the waterfall section of JB. We had to wait to close to 1 hour!!

IMG_9402_zpso8uwdcwj.jpg

The payoff? The light was falling but we made our way down the tricky sections.....Bobby showing us how its done on 37"'s

IMG_9403_zps1i703ixq.jpg

IMG_9404_zps5fd1fijv.jpg

IMG_9421_zpsrn807rug.jpg

My turn!!
IMG_9413_zpswf5skyfk.jpg

IMG_9380_zpsalptwvfw.jpg

Had to stack some rocks to get down this...
IMG_9405_zpsv3anpk3r.jpg

IMG_9406_zpscck8cpzk.jpg

IMG_9407_zpseatqysqk.jpg

by the time we got done with John Bull it was dark and we made our way back to town to turn in for the night....

PBG_4882_zpskdslny3k.jpg

PBG_4884_zps2ba8phji.jpg

Bajatoy splashing some nighttime mud...
PBG_4886_zps7w3eoo9e.jpg

I made my way to Pine knot campground and got my camp setup and started to unwind and enjoy the beautiful night....

PBG_4894_zpseioruodw.jpg

....and enjoy my well deserved cold beer....under the starry night.....

PBG_4902_zps2gctmpnw.jpg

PBG_4904_zpsetpngruy.jpg

The night sky above......

PBG_4909_zpsjdfimdzu.jpg

Had a great time taking some pictures....made me wish I had done a timelapse....

PBG_4911_zps0bhv9xyu.jpg

IMG_9416_zps4kk1swtj.jpg

m3pedro

Observer
It's a new day! Day 2

Time for more trails.....

PBG_4915_zpsrbhxcaim.jpg

The Rock squeeze in the beginning of the day was good fun....

Dimitri aka...FJ Bruzer? Came out and joined us for day2

IMG_9452_zpsdqf2pcxf.jpg

IMG_9453_zpsng3katb8.jpg

IMG_9451_zps68pcsyvf.jpg

IMG_9430_zps9w4nrvnq.jpg

IMG_9455_zpsmx1fjlbx.jpg

IMG_9456_zpsuioxao1d.jpg

IMG_9454_zpsbmn4xfzy.jpg

Sunday the sun came out at it was a lot warmer....

PBG_4917_zpsk5jlbni2.jpg

Back in the holcomb trail we had to go past the same river crossing obstacle....except now in reverse....much harder!! Try as we might we got highcentered......

IMG_9457_zpsurofygub.jpg

First Hawk tried to tug him out.....not even a budge.

IMG_9458_zpssfsfrlut.jpg

Then we got smart and I pulled up behind him and tried to winch him by using a snatch block off of Hawk's car!

IMG_9459_zpscoarqfes.jpg

No luck!! still firmly stuck on the rocks.

Then I backed up and finally was able to winch him out from behind and pull him back off the rocks.

IMG_9460_zpshajxp0fx.jpg

I was up next and got stuck almost in the same position! Winched myself out once again....

Then we drove towards lower larga thru the burnout forest valley...

PBG_4918_zps81p2s7ca.jpg

I could imagine this all with trees I wonder how long it will take to grow back?

PBG_4922_zpsw6agfgpp.jpg

Towards the end of lower larga which is a trail maintained by the SoCal FJ Cruiser forum we came up on a massive fallen tree blocking the trail.

We managed to get around it......Bajatoy looking good.

IMG_9461_zpsqbifhvje.jpg

The tree was easily as long as 4-6 FJ's....

IMG_9462_zpscgzu0wht.jpg

IMG_9463_zps9gqkbc3t.jpg

So Hawk and Bajatoy quickly came up with a plan to winch the tree off the trail so they got to work....

PBG_4923_zpsotziunuf.jpg

Hooked up a choker chain to his winch and slowly pulled most of the tree off the main trail.

PBG_4925_zpsuontk7e3.jpg

We took the chance to break for lunch......which I once again cooked up on my DaMello bumper.

IMG_9464_zps38udv0jz.jpg

mmmm.my favorite.....bratwurst.

IMG_9465_zpsiaodce8n.jpg

Airing up, saying our good by's and heading home...

IMG_9466_zpsltw3usc0.jpg

All that's left now besides the good memories is to clean up the mess and plan the next trip.

IMG_9474_zpsaqei542h.jpg

Thanks to the Como Chingas crew for the invite and for baptizing me on a weekend full of adventure and fun.

see you all soon I hope.

v_man

Explorer
Very Nice TR ! Holcomb Valley is one of my favorite trails , makes you feel like your far away from So. Cal .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles