The best adventure travel boots.

grobinson

Adventurer
Love my Muck Boots. Although, they can be tough to drive in sometimes if you're pedals are somewhat close. Very warm if you get the sub zero winter boot.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I scored a pair of the Zamberlan Trek Lite GT's last May and have been breaking them in slowly over the Summer & Fall. I've become a huge fan of their design and build quality. I think they look great too. The Italians really know what they're doing.

Thumbs up for a top shelf product!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I also like Zamberlains but I highly recommend getting a boot that naturally fits from the start if at all possible. I bought my first pair from REI and literally wore them in the store walking up and down their fake trail for ~30min to make sure they fit fine. For me, no break in period was required.

I've also found their other shoes fit me the same.

This is because all shoe makers build their shoes using a foot form called a 'last' & Zamberlain's last happens to fit my foot perfectly. This is why I highly recommend trying to find the best fitting shoe above and beyond all other factors.

For me its Merrels. I've completely worn the soles off of 2 pairs of them and working on a 3rd with no cuts, busted stitches, etc. And each boot lasted about 3-5 years on the soles. I've had comparably priced work boots fall apart in just a few weeks using them for work, hunting, play. I'm rough on my shoes to. Remember how Steve Irwin would just go blasting into the muck with whatever she he was wearing?

Bear Grylls wears Merrel too.
13752ecuador33.jpg

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
I just recently bought a pair of Lowa Ranger GTX boots and love them. In fact they are hands down the best boot I have ever worn. I have used everything from Moon Boots :sombrero: Military issued Jungle boots to Cabelas extreme outfitter boots and these are the cats meow for sure. Obviously they are not boots for either heavy snow or extreme hot weather, but seem to be great for everything in between.

Mogwin

I have broken almost every boot REI has

Ok now they are a little expensive, but I swear by the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Boot.
Background: I am a 6'5" 285lb surveyor who spends everyday rain snow or shine outside on his feet in Northern Idaho. Also take them elk hunting in the Frank Church and they have yet to let me down. The only complaint I have is that the sole seems to be wearing a little faster than your typical Vibram sole.
Just a nice quality product, spendy but the company will basically rebuild them for you indefinitely for about a third of the purchase price.
Broke the toe cover off the Rei gtx boots in two weeks.
Do have a pair of LaSportiva's that are pretty nice summer boots.

Just my .02
Cheers
Edwin

haven

Expedition Leader
Just to keep this in perspective, Nepalese porters carry 100+ lb loads
to Everest base camp wearing flip flops. Nobody _needs_ $400
hiking boots.

The most experienced South American traveler I know wears Converse
All-Star High Top sneakers, regardless of the conditions. If it's really
cold and wet, he will slip a plastic bag between two pairs of socks.

Chip Haven

hiking boots.

Chip Haven

Yep. Chip. I've worn my Converse ASHT on moto trips.
IMG_0240.jpg

Just enough support, light, packable. :sombrero:

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Yeah, I did Kilimanjaro wearing my takkies(tennis shoes), but the little piggies got a bit cold nites. And there were some low obstacles that beat up the feet a couple times in the rain forest. I admit it, I will never make a good porter wearing flip flops on Everest or any other mountain. Good boots for me everytime.

Mogwin

hiking boots.

Chip Haven

Ok said they were expensive but they were 300 not 4 and they are just the first pair of boots I haven't broken....have shredded everything, your nepalese porters must be much lighter on their feet.....of course no one NEEDS them but damn it's a lot nicer when you have them.
I actually bet I walk more than they do on a daily basis, building roads is my specialty. Slope staking, reds, bluetops, all a lot of walking, figure for every two lane road you have at least 5hubs across on a 50' interval at least three times before asphalt drops.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
hiking boots.

Chip Haven

There is a lot of crap touted around this forum that no_one_needs.... What's your point?

Some Sherpa decides to summit Everest in thongs and therefore I'm supposed to be ashamed of my choice in footwear? Please... :rolleyes:

And don't forget, according to the Executive Editor of Overland Journal, quality boots are more eco-friendly than $2 disposable flip-flops or old Chuck Taylor's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles