The "B Team" or backup gear

Arclight

SAR guy
Here's something I thought would be worth sharing: My backup equipment bag.

On our team, we don't have a specific list of things we're required to take at all times. Instead, we generally put our packs together once we know what our mission/assignment is going to be. Our team covers of lot of different terrain (San Bernardino County, CA), so we don't always know what to expect.

Over the years, I've noticed that certain things have a high potential for causing misery in the field if they fail or don't make it into your load-out. So I came up with this:

sar_backup_kit.jpg

It's a small nylon bag. In it, I have:

-Spare Headlamp (Princeton Tec Byte, 2xAAA)
-Spare GPS (Garmin Gecko 101, 2xAAA)
-Spare Radio (Baofeng UV3r)
-Spare Compass
-Old pocket knife+fire starter on a lanyard
-Cotton balls soaked in antibiotic ointment (fire starter+can double for wound cleaning)
-Signal mirror
-Water purification tablets
-Spare pen+paper (Pilot mini-G2)
-Small tube of sunscreen
-Spare AAA batteries (6)

The common theme here is that all of these items are lightweight and inexpensive. I have better versions of pretty much everything already. But this case contains duplicates of the things I need the most. I've had radios fail before (battery went dead, got dropped, etc), I had my high-tech headlamp go down due to the battery wire freezing and cracking, and I've had to give up gear to others.

For these reasons, it's been really nice to have this in my bag at all times. It's not exactly a survival kit, though I will take it with me as-is when I go hiking outside of SAR. It's more of a minimalist set of what I need to operate effectively.

Would love to see comments or suggestions from other folks!

Arclight

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Great idea. Especially a second radio. Always sucked when they died in the middle of a mission.

Might add a set of thick socks. You probably always pack a set anyway, but that time your in a hurry and forget, then are out way longer than expected they will be handy!

Arclight

SAR guy
Great idea. Especially a second radio. Always sucked when they died in the middle of a mission.

Might add a set of thick socks. You probably always pack a set anyway, but that time your in a hurry and forget, then are out way longer than expected they will be handy!

Come to think of it, the socks could be used to pack the radio/GPS from damage.

Arclight

86tuning

Adventurer
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. The cotton balls/ointment, did you make that or is it commercially available? How do you store it?

My essentials kit for backpacking is very similar. Just grab n go. But since I'm backpacking I skip the GPS, radio, and spare batteries. My "A kit" is your B kit.

I have a tiny plastic pill case with four advils and two benedryls. A tiny Bic lighter in a tiny ziploc bag, plus a gerber LST pocket knife. Toothbrush, plus a 1/4oz eyedropper bottle with some liquid soap. Insect repellent in another 1/4oz bottle of a different shape and color. Both bottles clearly labelled.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks!

This information is very helpful. I'm in the "Prospect" phase with a Mountain Rescue Group here on the Front Range and still have a year before being eligible to apply for membership so I'm learning everything I can about basic personal gear and gear needed to survive up to 24 hours in the the back country.

Arclight

SAR guy
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. The cotton balls/ointment, did you make that or is it commercially available? How do you store it?

My essentials kit for backpacking is very similar. Just grab n go. But since I'm backpacking I skip the GPS, radio, and spare batteries. My "A kit" is your B kit.

I have a tiny plastic pill case with four advils and two benedryls. A tiny Bic lighter in a tiny ziploc bag, plus a gerber LST pocket knife. Toothbrush, plus a 1/4oz eyedropper bottle with some liquid soap. Insect repellent in another 1/4oz bottle of a different shape and color. Both bottles clearly labelled.

The cotton ball trick is pretty standard. You take cotton balls and saturate them with Vaseline. I put them in an old pill bottle. The trick here is that Bacitracin or Neosporin ointment are mostly petroleum jelly, and burn just fine. So it's a 2-for-1.

Arclight

Arclight

SAR guy
Thanks!

This information is very helpful. I'm in the "Prospect" phase with a Mountain Rescue Group here on the Front Range and still have a year before being eligible to apply for membership so I'm learning everything I can about basic personal gear and gear needed to survive up to 24 hours in the the back country.

The basic equipment list that everyone takes to their SAR Tech II training is here:

http://www.sbsar.org/documentlinks/

Search the page for "24 hour pack."

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier