The "Az Crew" Thread

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
A 50% hit in MPG going from 31" to 33" tires? This I have to see. I understand that the 97+ platform is geared incorrectly for larger tires, and even my 95 would benefit from going to 4.88's with the 35's I'm running, but that particular statement has me wondering what else is going on.

Got the front end of my 95 blacked out today after work; thanks HoseB and Jorge! Need to reassemble the front bumper/grill guard and remount it and that part is done.

Helped (a little) to get Jorge's 99 washed off from the trip home, then with the sun fading, saw some wax soak into the paint with Jorge's efforts.

We're planning on a little camping this weekend. The destination is south of Sedona, north of Cottonwood and along Oak Creek. Any takers?

John B.

City mpg almost doubled. Highway increased decently but it wasn't as drastic as the city mpg. Try it and see! It's just money, he can make more!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
No religions intended...only that we're getting back together.

I hope it works out, maybe i can get a trust worthy source to represent my support on the facebooks for 4x4wire.com or i can just contact John directly to help out with the wire.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
My 95 broke again. The front main seal let loose on the highway at 4200 RPM and there was a massive smoke show. It is currently parked in the woods near the junction of 260 and 89A. To be continued...

John B.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Sorry to hear that johnny. Hopefully an easy fix once its home. Let me know if my assistance is needed for a rescue mission.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Hopefully an easy fix once its home.

It'll be easier to get it home than it will be to fix it, I'm afraid. Basically, it's another timing belt job, but without as many parts. Obviously a new front main seal. Will I need to put a new tensioner on it or can the one that was just installed (it's got 3,000 miles on it since the OEM one went in) be reused? Should I put a new timing belt on since this one is oil soaked? What else?

John B.

monte3

Endeavor
JB, If you need to move it to my place, just let me know.
Sometimes the USFS gets funny about off road parking...

RyanY

Adventurer
It'll be easier to get it home than it will be to fix it, I'm afraid. Basically, it's another timing belt job, but without as many parts. Obviously a new front main seal. Will I need to put a new tensioner on it or can the one that was just installed (it's got 3,000 miles on it since the OEM one went in) be reused? Should I put a new timing belt on since this one is oil soaked? What else?

John B.

Damn John, you deserve a break - that truck has given you far more crank pulley issues than any one vehicle has any right to.

I'd reuse the tensioner but replace the belt.

I'm interested in seeing what caused your new crank seal to fail - did it move out of place, is the sealing surface that it rides on boogered up in some way, or did something go wrong with it?

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Well jb, it sounds like an afternoon job to get it done, probably wouldnt hurt to use a new belt, but tensioner should be fine. Just make sure you compress the piston and pin it back as it was when it was brand new. I've found that those front main seals can be funny. Had I not had the motor out on the first one I did, I never would have noticed the back lip of the seal starting to push through the front. Seem like it went on just fine when I first did it but noticed it as I was putting the timing gear back on. Probably not the case for you this go around but could have been the pesky leak that you delt with before the timing job and the one that haunts Monte3.

I'm sure josh warranties his work.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I'm not holding anyone to their work, especially for what I (didn't) pay. He did a great job; this was just kind o' freaky.

I called the Coconino Forest District - Mogollon Rim Section office and confirmed that the truck is in a good location, out of the way, yet still accessible for the retrieval, and that L.E.O.'s are aware of it and looking after it. They actually thanked me for letting them know about it and said it posed no problem for them.

Back up to the camping trip...access has been barred to Oak Creek off the previously mentioned forest service road by a brand new serious-duty gate, making a fairly long hike necessary to get to the site we intended to use. The struggle is real, friends, and access denial has affected me as well (Shovel and others have spoken of this before, but it did not hit me until this weekend). Try to stay in the loop for meetings that only hikers/bicycle riders/celery eaters attend and give a voice to the contrary. Pick up your trash and that of others and try to keep this stuff open!

Thanks for the advice on the truck. I'll order up some (more) parts.

John B.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I'm not holding anyone to their work, especially for what I (didn't) pay. He did a great job; this was just kind o' freaky.

I called the Coconino Forest District - Mogollon Rim Section office and confirmed that the truck is in a good location, out of the way, yet still accessible for the retrieval, and that L.E.O.'s are aware of it and looking after it. They actually thanked me for letting them know about it and said it posed no problem for them.

Back up to the camping trip...access has been barred to Oak Creek off the previously mentioned forest service road by a brand new serious-duty gate, making a fairly long hike necessary to get to the site we intended to use. The struggle is real, friends, and access denial has affected me as well (Shovel and others have spoken of this before, but it did not hit me until this weekend). Try to stay in the loop for meetings that only hikers/bicycle riders/celery eaters attend and give a voice to the contrary. Pick up your trash and that of others and try to keep this stuff open!

Thanks for the advice on the truck. I'll order up some (more) parts.

John B.

We might need to pop that motor out and get real deep into this thing to see why seals keep dying. sorry about your luck homie, I'm happy to help in any way I can, starting with the rescue mission. It's cold as ice in the murder mitten, can't wait to get home.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
It's cold as ice in the murder mitten, can't wait to get home.

I have volunteered Jorge to help on the recovery mission. Please let me know if his services are required, as I have to work on Saturday. Key, directions and oil will be delivered to the walled compound Friday after work and we should plan on taking the CreeperVan to the fueling station for a top-off.

John B.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Overland expo is in 2 weeks, for those who would like to join. The plan is to camp out several miles back off of forest rd 535, which is a few miles south of flagstaff, towards the oak creek area. Most of us are leaving the 20th after work and won't be up there until really late Friday night. Wake up saturday and make the long drive out to Mormon lake for the expo and all of its festivities for most of saturday. Then head back to camp saturday afternoon for our own festivities. Pack up sunday and head home. It will be a fast trip up but it's usually a grand time. Let me know if you are interested in going, I can text you the map clay or pat made. Those who want to camp and not attend the expo are welcome to. If you plan to do the expo make sure you buy and print your tickets in advance.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Ok, I guess you CAN NOT pre purchase day passes online anymore. Day passes can only be purchased at the gate. $25 per person or $45 per family. One day passes purchased at the gate only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles