The "Az Crew" Thread

lordtrunks

camp loser
WHEELING!

alright this sunday and monday(9th-10th) john "bullworker" hughes is leading a trip into the bradshaws to explore some old mining roads.
expect easy to moderate with a spot of tough here and there.
so far john toasty and my self will be in full on mode for this we'll see YOU THERE!:Wow1:

jms_brns

Observer
Well it wasn't in the Montero, which is very slowly being made trip-worthy again, but a buddy and I went up to SP Crater in my 4Runner and messed around with his drone... really cool area, and we didn't see another soul.

On a side note, anyone know of any good mechanics in the valley worthy of working on Monteros? Preferably Tempe or Chandler area. Wish I was more mechanically proficient myself, but I am not... :confused:

Last edited:

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Depending on his schedule, IncorpoRatedX is set up for all your mechanical needs, located near Power and Main in Mesa.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Well "Bad Luck Schlumprock" HoseB struck again, this time while driving Jorge's '86 Dodge Power Ram. The engine has apparently seized and he left it on the west side of town. WHY he was on the west side of town is anybody's guess, but that's where it just made a seizing sound and the engine locked up. Nice, huh? He's been The Terminator of Mitsubishi products for over ten years now, having put his own '87 Raider on its side in the I-10 tunnel, driving my '95 when the 1/4" coolant hose broke, driving my '86 when the transmission overheated and left him stranded miles from home, having his crank bolt break in his '90 SWB and now this. It's safe to say it's not a good bet to let him drive your truck.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
HoseB has purchased another SWB, this time an '89 V-6 5-speed Raider. The interior is actually pretty nice (tan), just needs a radio surround, a seat belt receiver and some light bulbs. Exterior is gold-ish, which means it has the Dodge black around the side windows. The A-pillar is dented, along with the front pass. side fender, but overall it's in pretty good shape - looks to have been kept in covered parking most of its life. We're still sorting out the engine; it didn't like the freeway and we had to drive most of the 40 miles home with it on a surface street. When the seller pulled up to the Circle K, where all good vehicle deals are conducted (at night), I had the presence of mind to check which crank bolt it had in it (this time I actually remembered) and was surprised to feel that the answer was "none of the above," as the harmonic balancer was welded in place on the crank. That's one way to solve things. Since The Hose was only giving up a used 32" flat screen tv, a partial Go-Quad and $400, we decided to take it anyway. Heck, it even came with a clean, notarized title.

It has since been cleaned, inside, out and underneath and the stupid stickers it had on the back window have been scraped off. Later today it gets Seafoam!

If you're keeping score at home, the 14th St fun bunch now has 9 Mitsu products between three guys. One day we'll get a picture.

John B.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Minor detour for "Az Crew" thread. If anyone can assist with real estate in Northern Az I could use a reference. Looking for 30-100 acres.
Please PM.
Pardon my intrusion and thank you.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
How far north? Is elevation a consideration? It probably should be, since it's almost inversely aligned with temperature. I don't know of anybody to recommend, but the Kingman area has a lot to offer without all the people to have to share it with. I've traveled around the state quite a bit, mostly for work. Some of the communities, dare I say, most of them, are pretty conservative. Just be aware. Vast areas are either State or Federally owned/controlled, and are off-limits to private ownership. Likewise to Native American holdings. Good luck. There's still a lot to like about AZ, especially compared to expensive CA, in my view.

John B.

monte3

Endeavor
Just putting this out here for the AZ crew, and fans. Life changes, and I've managed to sell a ZR-1 Corvette, and purchase a Z-71 Chevy Colorado (see the irony...)
That said, my '98 Montero is for sale.
About 3.5 years ago I searched high and low looking for this particular truck. I found it in Denver, and flew in and proceeded to drive it the 11 hours home. Since then I've liberated the running boards and mud flaps, properly performed a T-bar crank, installed new KYB shocks, and welded rock sliders. I've also replaced the cam seals, and alternator. 5 matching 16" wheels and BFG M/T's in were also installed. I've also installed a set of Aisin hubs.
The truck has just under 136K miles.
The good: Loaded with winter package. Have original window sticker, and some documents. Timing belt done at 89K.
Body and interior in good shape, all accessories work incl. disc player.
The bad: heater core is out, it's currently by-passed. Carpet in that area trashed. Needs a windshield.
Asking 3750. Lots of Montero parts and "stuff" go with the truck. I'd trust this truck to go anywhere.
I live 100 miles N of Phoenix. Local (reasonable) delivery a possibility
Picture taken prior to slider install. Additional photos available. email pbgmonte3@yahoo.com or PM
374.jpg

SOLD!

Last edited:
the property thing..... looking for land, let us all make a group buy, crowd source it, and turn part of it into a national montero junkyard/clubhouse/museum/ race center/ campground/ expedition refuge in northern az. not too far from anywhere that
there might be rust free montees to be had for a song within 500 miles
seattle to san diego,denver to boise drag em all out to the desert to die and contribute their bones to the living....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94