The Alu-Cab Khaya thread, share and ask

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As to your truck choice, all I am hearing is T100.

That's on the list. A 1st-gen Tundra Access Cab is also high on the want list, but the reality is that their "listed" payloads aren't much higher than the newer midsize trucks...

As I shop for trucks for the first time in my life, I'm continually surprised to find that my little Astro van, based on a 40 year old design, has the same (or better) usable payload versus anything short of a 3/4-ton or a few special 1/2-tons. I guess that's the advantage of turning an 8-passenger van into a 3-passenger camper. In my heart, I want a tidy little compact truck/camper package, but my head knows how much gear the family will bring and how fast the weight adds up.

SimplyAnAdventure

Anyone consider installing a fantastic fan (or similar) in a Khaya yet? I’d love a high point roof vent, just not sure about the cutting and how to finish the fabric cleanly.

Anyone consider installing a fantastic fan (or similar) in a Khaya yet? I’d love a high point roof vent, just not sure about the cutting and how to finish the fabric cleanly.
Yes, often. It’s on my list to figure out and it’ll be hot again soon. At this point I’m ok cutting holes in the camper, but I need to find help with the cushion.
I’ve considered a fan on the back end next to the door, where the molle plates are. But I’m not sure about mounting those vertically, and they’re a bit big for that location. There are smaller fans but with anything in that location keeping dust out will be a problem.

I don’t need the fan while camping as much as for when it’s sitting in my driveway here in Phoenix. I’ve considered these vents as well.

Took my small house down Lippincott Mine Road after camping near the Racetrack in Death Valley. Probably our upper limit in a stock truck near payload capacity.

These pics don’t really represent the trail, I had my hands a bit full during the rough patches.

3D48DD20-2339-41D4-A7CC-05941F6773A9.jpegAF887AF6-7299-4368-B013-828AF48F1D80.jpeg

*PSA for Khaya owners*

Apparently there is no thread lock on any of the door hardware. Noticed the door latch was a bit loose, checked all the hardware on the back while I was at it. Yep every bolt needed at least a whole turn, some a bit more.

Also the cable that keeps the door latch from flopping, as well as the the cables that hold the latch pins, are made of cheese. They are already broken, as well as the rings with the alu-cab branded straps. Total rubbish, just keep some 550 handy and make your own as needed.

Last edited:

Blazestriker

Anybody have any idea what the barriers would be to mounting a Khaya in a larger truck? I'm guessing the critical dimensions are the height of the bedrails and the bedrail-to-cab height.

I really like the Khaya, but would also prefer to have a bit more headroom on the payload. I'm thinking an older shortbed fullsize (before all the full-sizes got YUUUGE) could be made to work...
Here is m20210406_193054.jpg
Likely the distance from the bed floor to the top of the truck cab. Of course you could put a spacer underneath. GrizzlyNbear on the YouTubes has a 4WC in a 110, they added a drawer underneath to raise the camper up over the van.

As to your truck choice, all I am hearing is T100.
I did add 3/4" plywood spacer under the rubber mat.

ine is sitting on my 2016 Silverado 1500

Blazestriker

*PSA for Khaya owners*

Apparently there is no thread lock on any of the door hardware. Noticed the door latch was a bit loose, checked all the hardware on the back while I was at it. Yep every bolt needed at least a whole turn, some a bit more.

Also the cable that keeps the door latch from flopping, as well as the the cables that hold the latch pins, are made of cheese. They are already broken, as well as the rings with the alu-cab branded straps. Total rubbish, just keep some 550 handy and make your own as needed.
Thanks for the heads up on hardware. I have also replaced 1 cable, and all of the split rings with HD 316 stainless rings.

Blazestriker

So, I just recently purchased a 2019 Khaya 4. Actually found it here on EP. While going over the camper with the original owner, I failed to notice this switch, and I am not sure what function it operates. The Khaya has Shore power plug, 252w solar, solar controller, air compressor, and a battery charger, all tied to this panel. I did'nt really want to operate the switch without knowing if something else needed to be on/off first. 20210420_192751.jpg20210420_192758.jpg

For reference, here is the diagram from the Khaya manual:

View attachment 703200
Yeah I wrestled with that during the first lock down. I couldn’t get everything to work, I was told it would work if I had a trailer brake controller.

I ended up just taking the lights off, they aren’t required in the US. It’s a South African thing, anything that extends past the taillights has to have lights, they even have lights on bike racks.

Trillium1

I have read that the black is not noticeably hotter than the silver when in the sun. While they both may cool off when completely opened up, I wonder how the black does when trying to take a stealth nap during the day with the tent closed. Any experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior