The Alu-Cab Khaya thread, share and ask

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I got the "weekender" pack, I think it was called. Just the awning, table and shower. The duck board goes with the shower. Took us a while to figure that out. I ordered before there was one available to look at. Apparently we walked past one at OEX one year, but didn't know I needed one at the time.

Hard to get a decent photo of the inside. The bench on the left opens up for another bed, we just put a sleeping pad on top. Works good for the kid, but I can fit on it if I need too. This is one of the reasons we went with the Khaya because we have six foot of length at that height. One person could sleep in it with the top down, if you needed to. There is also room for one 29er with both wheels on.

Sweet. I know it's cramped in there but I'd love to get a sense of the space. I really like the Khayas but we absolutely need a 2+1 sleeping arrangement for our 11 year old, and I keep questioning if midsize shells like this offer enough room for 3.

Sweet. I know it's cramped in there but I'd love to get a sense of the space. I really like the Khayas but we absolutely need a 2+1 sleeping arrangement for our 11 year old, and I keep questioning if midsize shells like this offer enough room for 3.
I’m in Phoenix, if you’re ever around I’d be glad to show you. I think there is a distributor on the west coast, ours here in Phoenix closed up shop.

Last edited:

Boltripper

Hey John, Where did you get that "trash bag"? I've been using a vintage SealLine bag, I just clip it to the top bar, but yours fits nice. I was thinking the Trasharoo would be too big.

I actually made mine specifically for the Khaya plate. PM me if you have questions.

Thanks,

J

Water system part deux...
a.jpg

It's a gravity system, the previous iteration used 1/2 clear tubing and some barbed fittings. Yes, I ended up pulling the hose out the barb.... once. I was zoning out in Lowes one day and noticed this 8' washer supply kit, really like the 90 degree garden hose fittings. Previously the tanks sat on the floor, and the gravity flow worked ok, but the issue I had was securing the tanks. The "belt line" was too high to strap them down, so I built a simple box, now there is room for the dutch oven and two pair of shoes under the tanks.

b.jpg

I previously had the installed the wrong type of valve, I had a 1/4 turn ball valve in the junk drawer but the flow was annoyingly erratic. Often resulting in wet pants legs while trying to wash dishes. Luckily I found this gate valve in a different junk drawer.
c.jpg

See, those 90s are the bees knees. Also hung my new bag from Last Bag! Yep, they got me with the ad on here. Nice quality, I got the sun visor organizer as well.

Last edited:
Nice! I thought it was the aluminum sheet flopping around instead of the legs but I suppose both methods work. I had to trim the legs as well because they were hard to get completely folded if you didn’t time it right.

Alu-Cab precision manufacturing!

Boltripper

Nice! I thought it was the aluminum sheet flopping around instead of the legs but I suppose both methods work. I had to trim the legs as well because they were hard to get completely folded if you didn’t time it right.

Alu-Cab precision manufacturing!

I really like the table. very solid and functional, but I'm so OCD with rattles or noises, so I really look at eliminating everything I can.

As far as the legs I see what you are saying, but I like mine to securely fold into each other to hold them tight together.

Best,

John

Boltripper

Made a few upgrades last week.

I added the Victron battery shunt so that I could see more detail on battery output and input. This uses just the Bluetooth so I can monitor on my phone or tablet, no gauge.

IMG_0018.jpg

I also changed out the stock PU5 controller that came with my camper for the PU27. I wanted the ability to set timers/ Now I have the heater come on about 30 minutes before I get up in the morning. First World problems I know, but I want to use this heater to its fullest and this certainly helps. The ability to view trouble codes is also nice.

IMG_0019.jpg

Cheers,

John~

Boltripper

Took some time last weekend to make a few changes to the hot water and water pump controls. I wanted something easier to see when it was dark, as the current flip switches are black plastic. I also didn't like the exposed back of the hot water tank switch in the upper shelf area and also wanted the ability to turn on the hot water from inside the camper if we are parked and connected to shore power.

I utilized some metal LED push switches with nice harnesses for wiring. The harness also makes switching them out easy in the event of a failure. I'll carry a spare or 2

The water pump was an easy switch out and I went with a Blue LED~

IMG_0053.jpg

For the how water I wired 2 Red LED switches together using a box. This way I can activate the water heater from inside and it also protects the back of the exterior switch from gear smashing against it.

IMG_0046.jpg

This shows the orientation of the external switch and the internal switch mounted on the side of the box. The 2 yellow wires on the bottom just represent where the stock wiring will enter the bottom of the box.
IMG_0044.jpg

Lots of different wiring configurations with this harness.
IMG_0046.jpg

Box installed. You can see the side switch facing forward. One thing I also like is that these can't be accidently activated like the toggle switches.
IMG_0049.jpg

I initially wanted black, but decided with the silver/bare metal color so they would stand out more against the black PC of the camper.
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

'll throw in a use pic as well for good measure.. Took a few days for a trip North - NC, VA, WV and then PA to see the parents. Was great to get away and spend a few nights in the camper.

D1359CAA-EC2C-4652-817D-E5AEFA421A61.jpg

Cheers,

john~

Took some time last weekend to make a few changes to the hot water and water pump controls. I wanted something easier to see when it was dark, as the current flip switches are black plastic. I also didn't like the exposed back of the hot water tank switch in the upper shelf area and also wanted the ability to turn on the hot water from inside the camper if we are parked and connected to shore power.

I utilized some metal LED push switches with nice harnesses for wiring. The harness also makes switching them out easy in the event of a failure. I'll carry a spare or 2

The water pump was an easy switch out and I went with a Blue LED~

View attachment 621021

For the how water I wired 2 Red LED switches together using a box. This way I can activate the water heater from inside and it also protects the back of the exterior switch from gear smashing against it.

View attachment 621022

This shows the orientation of the external switch and the internal switch mounted on the side of the box. The 2 yellow wires on the bottom just represent where the stock wiring will enter the bottom of the box.
View attachment 621027

Lots of different wiring configurations with this harness.
View attachment 621023

Box installed. You can see the side switch facing forward. One thing I also like is that these can't be accidently activated like the toggle switches.
View attachment 621024

I initially wanted black, but decided with the silver/bare metal color so they would stand out more against the black PC of the camper.
View attachment 621025

View attachment 621026

'll throw in a use pic as well for good measure.. Took a few days for a trip North - NC, VA, WV and then PA to see the parents. Was great to get away and spend a few nights in the camper.

View attachment 621029

Cheers,

john~
Hey John, I’m considering adding a heater to my Khaya, I’m assuming you have the diesel heater from Alu-Cab. How do you like it? I’d rather go with propane, to not add another fuel source.

As with many Khaya questions, there is a surprisingly small amount of info online. It’s surprising no one, I can find, has installed a Propex heater. I’m not crazy about the Dickinson kit OK4WD is selling, sure it’s cute, but a little spendy for a few times a year.

Thanks

Boltripper

Hey John, I’m considering adding a heater to my Khaya, I’m assuming you have the diesel heater from Alu-Cab. How do you like it? I’d rather go with propane, to not add another fuel source.

As with many Khaya questions, there is a surprisingly small amount of info online. It’s surprising no one, I can find, has installed a Propex heater. I’m not crazy about the Dickinson kit OK4WD is selling, sure it’s cute, but a little spendy for a few times a year.

Thanks

I like the Diesel Heater and have used it on about 4 trips now. I upgraded the controller to the PU-27 simply for the fact that I can now set timers.. I set the heater to come on about an hour before I plan to get up and the camper is nice and toasty.

There are a few propane heaters that use the same principal as the Diesel heaters - Meaning it just heats the casing and air blows across it into the interior space. I would not want propane that combusts within the camper due to the moisture it produces, but that's just a personal opinion. I like the nice dry air the diesel produces.

Planer is getting ready or ready to produce a new digital controller to bring it up to date with the Webasto and such.. The Planar system is / looks dated, but works every time.

I'd purchase it again for the Khaya... I'll eventually move up to a larger camper and when I have the ability to carry (2) 10lb or a 20lb in the storage space, Id probably look at the Truma Vario Heat

Hope this helps -

John

You had me at moist air, we’re in the desert!

I think the Propex heater could fit where your diesel heater is. The air vents and exhaust should be able to plumb similarly as well. I’d hate to give up that storage room for the diesel tank. The propane fits so nicely in the forward bin.

There are those that run off gasoline but I’d hate to tap the fuel line on the truck. Would suck for removing the camper too.

So it goes. Nice catching up with you

Ended up buying the Propex, unfortunately it won’t work I the same spot the diesel heater goes.

The Tacoma bed is short and there is room between the side box and the bed rails to run the exhaust. The Khaya nearly sits on the bed rails of the Ranger so there is no room.

Then I debated about the aft end of the starboard box, but realized my exhaust could partially block the tail lights and it would just look weird. This would be great for vent placement inside though.

I considered mounting the furnace on its side as well and running the exhaust vertical and out the top of the box but that is just inviting a leak.

So I decided to mount it just as it is mounted in every Westy, through the floor. The Khaya extends enough past the bed that there is room to route the exhaust over the bumper and under the truck. I already have a cubby in the bench that the heater fits in.

I had a suspicion the floor was plywood, I drilled the intake hole first to see and indeed it is. The intake is 1” so I decided to drill the exhaust 1-1/4” through the ply and 1” through the aluminum to leave an air gap.

Still debating about that exhaust air gap. I’m planning on filling it with high temp silicone, but is it enough around the exhaust? I’m not even sure how hot it gets, I’m sure it’s hot but not sure quite how hot.297E33A7-8739-407D-9913-60B925985C26.jpeg0F7657B2-C61D-4781-AF28-299A6C96F1D8.jpeg

Still waiting on some parts, got a few minutes worth of head scratching in.

Put some adhesive backed heat shield down. It’s not a question of burning but heat added to whatever the floor is sealed with the carpet and the glue etc. An extra five minutes was worth the risk of a chemical swirl. Of course the heat shield probably has asbestos in it

0483AC65-47EE-40D9-8478-73DB5FFC622D.jpeg

I ordered my heater from GoWesty, couldn’t resist being a little cheeky

24BFC3B5-50A9-4C66-B46D-18AEE9C7E240.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior