The all new 2014 Jeep Cherokee-Liberty Car?

haven

Expedition Leader
Good...Jeep folks need something to moan about. Just like the Land Rover guys complain about the looks of that new Defender concept vehicle. Remember that the image in the link is a Photoshop rendering, not a real photo. It's speculation by Allpar.

That said, it seems likely to me that the Liberty replacement will look like today's mainstream small SUVs. The AWD version will be an all-weather traveler, not an off-road truck. It will be sold by Dodge and Alfa Romeo as well as Jeep, and Chrysler doesn't have the money to create different body styles for all three.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Articles with words like "possibly" and "might" with regard to future vehicles don't hold much value. I really wish Renault had bought Jeep out instead.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I really wish Renault had bought Jeep out instead.

Why so they would go out of Business? Jeep needs intro level crossover type cars to stay competitive in todays market. Not everyone is looking to modify and off road there Vehicle. You can't make it that way in the US market just selling Wranglers. Even if they sold everyone the built... Jeep owners looking for the normal jeep rugged vehicle can still get a solid axle wrangler, but tell me Is it that bad that the Grand is independent suspension? NO its not, because it not meant to do the same things the Wrangler is. I have a feeling that if the new Liberty is on the Dart frame and dose look close to that in the photoshop it will sell just fine. My wife likes the look of it. Everyone form the Jeep, Land Rover, Toyota entusiast world need to remember these are Car company that are looking to turn a Dime. Not cater to the Minority of owners.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Don't get me wrong... I think the best thing to happen to Chrysler and Jeep was to be purchased by Fiat. The new cars are selling well, the influence appears at least for now to be a good one. The diesel technology and the small Euro fuel efficient stuff is doing its job. The Dart looks like a solid car... but basing the new Cherokee/Liberty replacement off of it...ouch. It is all about utility, mileage, mass appeal etc, so I get it, just don't like it.

All manufacturers are going this way. Check out the ExPo article on the Motor Trend SUV of the year (made me laugh, made him MAD).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/new...omplete-waste-of-time-and-makes-me-angry.html

I know that this is a representation, but they are almost always based on some fact and insider information.

2013-jeep-cherokee.jpg

Fugly

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Why so they would go out of Business? Jeep needs intro level crossover type cars to stay competitive in todays market. Not everyone is looking to modify and off road there Vehicle. You can't make it that way in the US market just selling Wranglers. Even if they sold everyone the built... Jeep owners looking for the normal jeep rugged vehicle can still get a solid axle wrangler, but tell me Is it that bad that the Grand is independent suspension? NO its not, because it not meant to do the same things the Wrangler is. I have a feeling that if the new Liberty is on the Dart frame and dose look close to that in the photoshop it will sell just fine. My wife likes the look of it. Everyone form the Jeep, Land Rover, Toyota entusiast world need to remember these are Car company that are looking to turn a Dime. Not cater to the Minority of owners.

I find it interesting that the ZJ was more capable than the Wrangler was before the TJ was released, and now look what has happened. As for independent suspensions, I would buy a Subaru over any "Jeep" with the same setup. Each to their own though....

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: In the dark, all SUVs look the same-

Most have AWD, some have selectable xfer case and rear lockers and most are bought by flat landers--

60% of Wrangler Rubicon buyers, are city dwellers and immediately have a lift/35" tires installed and very seldom leave the city--

These people are HAPPY-it's their money and their lifestyle, so auto mfgs are taking advantage ofit--isn't that the american way ??

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: In the dark, all SUVs look the same-

Most have AWD, some have selectable xfer case and rear lockers and most are bought by flat landers--

60% of Wrangler Rubicon buyers, are city dwellers and immediately have a lift/35" tires installed and very seldom leave the city--

These people are HAPPY-it's their money and their lifestyle, so auto mfgs are taking advantage ofit--isn't that the american way ??

And folks like you and I laugh at all the posers who buy into the "bling" Jeeps. It's just funny that folks have to spend another $5-10k on their $40k JKRU to keep up on the trail with my $9k total investment of an "SUV", but to each their own as I said. I personally think that the TJRU is the best Jeep built since the Scrambler.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, well I don't like to use the label "Poser", cause that opens a battleground, but

And folks like you and I laugh at all the posers who buy into the "bling" Jeeps. It's just funny that folks have to spend another $5-10k on their $40k JKRU to keep up on the trail with my $9k total investment of an "SUV", but to each their own as I said. I personally think that the TJRU is the best Jeep built since the Scrambler.

I pretty much agree that the 06 TJ-Rubicon LJ (unlimited) is one sweet platform-kinda like to get one one of these days-

DesertJK

Adventurer
Articles with words like "possibly" and "might" with regard to future vehicles don't hold much value. I really wish Renault had bought Jeep out instead.

Seriously? Fiat / Alfa has some great cars with great engines. This little SUV is perfect for my wife to drive as a real estate broker. We live in a rural area with a lot of small unpaved roads. My JKUR is overkill and I don't like putting 500 miles a week wear and tear on it, not to mention the crap mileage.
This SUV would replace both her Freelander we sold a few years ago, and her Alfa Romeo Alfetta that we wore out long ago.

Frank

Explorer
Seriously? Fiat / Alfa has some great cars with great engines. This little SUV is perfect for my wife to drive as a real estate broker. We live in a rural area with a lot of small unpaved roads. My JKUR is overkill and I don't like putting 500 miles a week wear and tear on it, not to mention the crap mileage.
This SUV would replace both her Freelander we sold a few years ago, and her Alfa Romeo Alfetta that we wore out long ago.

This is a Jeep we are talking about. There was a time when Jeep was a term in addition to a vehicle make.

There are many vehicles on the market that can do what your wife needs.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Our Jeeps are a 3rd and 4th vehicle for us and see a combined 3-4k miles annually, our other 2 cars average over 30 mpg. I would hate to ever go back to having a Jeep as a DD, and when I say Jeep I refer to solid axles and a selectable transfer case, anything else is just a car. The new Subaru line with that high output v6 is worth looking at if she is in the market, 2 friends have them and they are smooth and quiet with plenty of power and traction.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Jeep can be a term for a type of vehicle (solid axels, steel frame, simple 4x4 system) but, Jeep is also a brand with a brand indentity to sell. I like the idea of branding a more off road capable crossover SUV built on a common platform a Jeep.
We bought a Freelander years ago because we were into Rovers (had a very built Disco 1) and needed a more fuel efficient town and highway car. We did a few mods to the Freeloader and had a pretty capable little SUV that still did well on trips over the mountains and the ocassional two track. The thing kicked *** in the snow, as in unplowed roads to cross country ski areas early in the morning.
I don't want a Subaru, or RAV 4, I like Jeeps.
The Grand Cherokee is interesting. An American Range Rover, and it always has been. Comfort, usually has a timeless design that doesn't look dated after 3 model years, and is truely off road capable. It is just more SUV than we want or need.
Why shouldn't they make a lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient SUV that doesn't totally suck like the Patriot or Compass?
I would love to see a Jeep branded version of this with slightly taller suspension, a two speed transfer case, some body and skid protection, and a Jeep grill on it. Throw in a 2.0 Fiat/Alfa turbo diesel and a 6 speed dual clutch transmission, make sure it has a rear biased AWD system, and a decent stock suspension. I will buy it. In fact, if it happens, it will come to market just about when we want to buy another new vehicle.

As far as a Wrangler being a 3rd or 4th vehicle, I bought mine JKUR new in 2008. We now have almost 80K on it. There were much better choices for a daily driver out there when I bought it, but it is what we wanted and plan on keeping for a very long time (almost paid off) We sacrificed two Disco 1's and a Freeloader to buy it (almost 40% down, low interest of 1.5%, and very low payments)
It is and has been our only vehicle for the last couple years. It gets driven on dirt more than a couple times a week, and gets actually used like a JKUR was meant to at least once a month, maybe more in the winter. This amount of mileage and hard use would have made any of the Rovers a full time maintenance job.

Scooter Scott

Observer
I just showed this picture to the wife and her reply was "that's not bad". If it keeps her happy, it keeps me happy. We currently own a 2009 Liberty and she absolutely loves it. But if I can get her into something that's a little more fuel efficient and she still loves to drive it then I don't give a ****. It's a Jeep...

Frank

Explorer
Why shouldn't they make a lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient SUV that doesn't totally suck like the Patriot or Compass?
I would love to see a Jeep branded version of this with slightly taller suspension, a two speed transfer case, some body and skid protection, and a Jeep grill on it. Throw in a 2.0 Fiat/Alfa turbo diesel and a 6 speed dual clutch transmission, make sure it has a rear biased AWD system, and a decent stock suspension. I will buy it. In fact, if it happens, it will come to market just about when we want to buy another new vehicle.

If this happens, I too will be a buyer. It wont be, though. Does Jeep even produce anything with a two speed tcase outside of the wrangler (a vehicle they cant produce fast enough) as a stock option? skid plates...lol,

The Fiat...lets not call it a Jeep...will be about as 'jeep' as the commander, patriot and compass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94