The Adventures of a Land Rover TReK Discovery

MattScott

Approved Vendor
trek1.jpg

The Rover gods have bequeathed me with a one-of-a-kind Discovery. A TReK competition model used in the Colorado event with under 4,000 original miles. It's a late production 2003 model year built to 2004 specifications, so it has the larger roof bars along with a factory center locking differential.

As most of the in-depth goodies will be featured on the front page, think of this as a combination of a build thread and a trip report. A bit "behind the scenes" if you will.

trek2.jpg

In addition to the factory SD rack, it also features rock sliders.

trek3.jpg

The WARN SDB-210 Dual-Beam Lights are incredibly bright.

trek5.jpg

It's pretty cool looking down on this as you're driving.

trek6.jpg

The factory installed WARN XD9000 winch has never even been used. I'll likely install synthetic line to remove some weight from the front end in addition to a slightly taller spring.

trek7.jpg

Brand-new 245/75/16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2's.

trek8.jpg

trek9.jpg

TReK seat covers. The black is an added touch in Arizona.

trek10.jpg

Original miles. It's absolutely insane.

trek11.jpg

I've started with an Engel MT45, but I've yet to figure out an appropriate way to mount it, I really do not want to drill into anything so the transit-lok from my 109 may not work.

trek12.jpg

Factory gear divider/dog guard.

trek13.jpg

The best part? No leaky sunroofs...because we have that problem in Arizona.

I'm trying to figure out what its first adventures and modifications will be, suggestions?

Currently I'm thinking a slight lift, synthetic winch line, a more solid mount for my Engel, and perhaps a little bit of a storage system.

Last edited:

Howski

I'd go 2" OME with 265's at most. I don't even know if I'd touch it, great looking truck as is

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I'd go 2" OME with 265's at most. I don't even know if I'd touch it, great looking truck as is

The front definitely needs a little bit more travel, with all the weight on those springs it bottoms out quite easily—even around town.

I think an inch more, and a slightly heavier spring rate would be the bomb.

rijosho

Adventurer
Oh nice. I thought they didn't come back with CDL until 2004 though - I figured this was a 2003.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
What year is it?

I updated the first post—my bad!

It's a late production 2003 model year built to 2004 specifications, so it has the larger roof bars along with a factory center locking differential. Built in December of 03.

slcrover

A slight lift would make that beauty even better. I would suggest a Mantec snorkel. It would look more like one of the G4 trucks but as far as snorkels go, you can't get a more discreet/ factory look.

discotdi

Adventurer
Jesus I'm so jealous... How much did you pay for it?

perhaps it is a long term loan/gift from LRNA to Overland Journal? Is it Matt's personal car? It is a great find. The Trek car that we have has 40k miles and we are about to remake all the decals because they have faded so badly. I imagine the AZ sun will be cruel if it is parked outside. Beware.

dcarr1971

Adventurer
How about a good Front Drive Shaft for a first change? At a minimum you need to make sure the u-joints and centering ball are all grease-able.

As for off road stuff, I'd start with diff guards before worrying about the lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles