The Adventures of a Land Rover TReK Discovery

yloDiscoii

Observer
Congrats Matt, that thing is a beaut! 4000 miles, wow!

For lift / tire appearance reference, I have the same Warn winch tray the front of my Disco along with a 2" Medium Duty OME kit, and 265/75's. This pic is before adding the winch, but that didn't have too much effect, if any, on the forward rake.

Welcome to the "Special Vehicles" club! :smiley_drive:

DSC_0200-2.jpg
DSC_0199-2.jpg

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
One of the best looking trucks to ever come out of Special Vehicles!
Not sure the specifics surrounding this truck... as to whether it is on loan or you purchased, but the last TREK I saw that was that nice and more miles was for sale on Land Rover Exchange for more than $30K.
Nice walk down memory lane!
Thanks
D

reds12t

Observer
That is an amazing find! With as special as that truck is, I personally would not modify it. I would enjoy the beauty, experience, and functionality of the factory set up. As for the springs, I assume it already has the factory pink/brown HD coils, maybe it just needs a fresh set.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So is this your personal rig Matt or a loaner rig as that makes a big difference as to the advice given?

You have a fridge in there which is mod #1 in my book...not wanting to drill the floor implies loaner rig (just a guess till you tell us) so maybe make a platform that uses any factory floor bolts and then install the fridge to that.

mild lift and tires would be all I would do then go enjoy it..

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
That truck is a piece of LR history ... especially with those little miles on it.
There would be some that would say ... "I'd drive the heck out of that" and then there are those like me that would be somewhat freaked out to drive it. I don't think I would do much if anything to it, sans a front leveling puck to rid that front to back leveling.

Fess up ... what's the story with this truck?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure about head gaskets when it has 3600 miles.... maybe wait a bit.

Certainly some validity to that and personal preference I suppose. I think there are better gaskets out there if I remember right and I'd rather try to prevent it on my own schedule than have it always in the back of my mind everywhere I go with it.

Not a big D2 fan but that is a cool truck...for a D2.:elkgrin:

Colin Hughes

Explorer
On my D2, I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to size of the rear cargo area. Then drilled two half moon circles over each of the four tie down locations. Then used heavy duty zip ties to hold the plywood to the floor of the truck. Mounted the fridge slide onto that.

AFSOC

Explorer
It's a long term project we're doing with Land Rover, so modifications ideally should be reversible.

I'd imagine that since the truck belongs to someone else, there is an agreement that defines the length of the loan and the parameters of the "project". What is the objective of the long term project and how much latitude does it give you to select various modifications or vendors?

orangeex

congratulation Matt - thats a great vehicle. As noted above I would put in a Plywood floor (I have the dimensions of the CT ones) and bolt all your "mods" to that. You can also add drawers that way as well.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I'd imagine that since the truck belongs to someone else, there is an agreement that defines the length of the loan and the parameters of the "project". What is the objective of the long term project and how much latitude does it give you to select various modifications or vendors?

We'll have it for a while.

I'd like to see some basic mechanical modifications done, and then focus on keeping the vehicle prepared and "ready to go."

I'll be taking it out for its first long dirt excursion this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke