The 70 series is here to stay [emoji39]

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
At least they will be out there and in 25 years I'll be able to get one :D

Precisely!

I'm sad they don't come to the US, but hardly shocked. I sat down with Toyota marketing execs and the Cheif Engineer of the Land Cruiser last year with a handful of other LC industry insiders in an attempt to get the 7x in the US or at least hear the reasoning. Between CAFE standards, EPA wildcards and a fast selling Tacoma and Tundra, it's not even on their radar to think about putting on their radar if you know what I mean.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The crazy thing is, they use the 4.0 in cruisers in Japan. We use that engine here. :(

They have the GRJ7x variants in Russia too (and you can see a brand new GRJ76 and GRJ79 at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in SLC) but that doesn't address the CAFE, safety and market offering issues Toyota has identified. I wouldn't want a GRJ7x, I want a VDJ7x. A loaded down Tacoma is a dog and a stock GRJ7x isn't a VDJ or URJ variant... Why bring in a truck that competes with the Tacoma yet rides rougher, gets worse fuel economy and costs $10-20k more. There simply isn't a reason for Toyota to jump at that.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I have a bunch of freinds in Costa Rica and Nicaragua who own series 70 LCs (76,78, 79). They are great and very durable trucks, (better now with coils) but when we all go to the playa or out dinner the same freinds aways jump in my FZJ80. The 70s lack the same level of comfort and space as an 80. Not saying I wouldn't buy one if offered in US, but they are not an epic upgrade to an 80 or 100.

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
They have the GRJ7x variants in Russia too (and you can see a brand new GRJ76 and GRJ79 at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in SLC) but that doesn't address the CAFE, safety and market offering issues Toyota has identified. I wouldn't want a GRJ7x, I want a VDJ7x. A loaded down Tacoma is a dog and a stock GRJ7x isn't a VDJ or URJ variant... Why bring in a truck that competes with the Tacoma yet rides rougher, gets worse fuel economy and costs $10-20k more. There simply isn't a reason for Toyota to jump at that.

VDJ7x that would be nice!!

alia176

Explorer
I have a bunch of freinds in Costa Rica and Nicaragua who own series 70 LCs (76,78, 79). They are great and very durable trucks, (better now with coils) but when we all go to the playa or out dinner the same freinds aways jump in my FZJ80. The 70s lack the same level of comfort and space as an 80. Not saying I wouldn't buy one if offered in US, but they are not an epic upgrade to an 80 or 100.

This is a great feedback. It's nice to know that grass isn't always greener on the other side!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles