The 5th (ish) Gen Ram HD love/hate thread

Explorerinil

Observer
I have a 21' Tradesman 2500 w/6.4 hemi....love the truck, descent ride, good power, quite, easy to use nav system, I like the front bench and center console.

Not sure I am a fan of the twist knob gear selector.

My dislikes are hood visibility (not horrible but not like older rigs), the rear cargo floor not being flat like the Fords.....but biggest gripe is the bed height of the truck! When did trucks get to be so tall and why? It makes loading a dirt bike or throwing/grabbing a MTB out of the back a huge PITA. I'm 6'4", I need a step stool to load my bike and even then the &$*#ing ramp is so steep it's a PITA, I gotta find a good parking spot just so I can load properly. I honestly would lower the damn thing a few inches and still easily clear the 33's I have on it....
That gear knob is weird, I’m not sure if I liked it or not, sometimes I didn’t mind it, others I hated it and I don’t really know why. Complaining about bed height… don’t try to reach in the bed of a super duty, it’s allot higher. My 16 ram with a 3 inch carli suspension and 37x13.50 Toyo’s easily fit in my garage with a 7 foot door. My bone stock super duty barely fits and rubs in the weather strip seal on the garage door frame.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I have a 2021 TRX and my biggest complaint is how the 12” screen controls so many functions. I’d prefer some hard buttons for climate control and a 10” screen instead. Power is fantastic, fuel economy is not!

UglyViking

I have a 2021 TRX and my biggest complaint is how the 12” screen controls so many functions. I’d prefer some hard buttons for climate control and a 10” screen instead. Power is fantastic, fuel economy is not!
I don't have the 12" screen, and at times I wish I had got it. That said, I have heard horror stories of how many bugs the pervious version of the 12" screen can be, so that alone would scare me. The uconnect 5 should be much better from the processing power version at least, so hopefully less bugs.

I do agree about physical buttons vs screens though.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I don't have the 12" screen, and at times I wish I had got it. That said, I have heard horror stories of how many bugs the pervious version of the 12" screen can be, so that alone would scare me. The uconnect 5 should be much better from the processing power version at least, so hopefully less bugs.

I do agree about physical buttons vs screens though.
The UConnect 5 is a train wreck. There are a ton of issues on the TRX forum. My truck came with UConnect 4, and so far it’s been fine. My buddy has a 2021 F150 with the horizontal 12” screen and that seems like a better setup with more hard buttons for climate control.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have been driving since the early 70's and my 2020 PW was the first dial shifter I had ever driven. On the test drive I thought it might be an issue. within a day I had totally forgotten about it and now I love it and when I drive a vehicle that has a traditional column shifter or even a floor shifter I am annoyed lol. For the record I never had an automatic until like 2002 or so.

ripperj

Explorer
Isn’t that the truth.

You can always add more clothing to be warmer. There is only so much you can take off to cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myself and everyone I know(most of whom drive trucks, at least half for a living) hate driving with lots of clothes. If the trip is more than a local run, I’m in a t-shirt. The heavy coat and hat/gloves etc is in the back(I have been in enough snow banks in the last 40 years of driving to never drive without “walking away from the wreckage “ gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ripperj

Explorer
Speaking of Uconnect 4/5
I have walked away from my truck so many times without my phone. I have never had a recent vehicle that needed a hard wire to use half the technology.I never even took my phone out of my backpack with the last truck(just Bluetooth to the basic Uconnect)

Someone must make a wireless Apple lightning to usb dingus that works??? The bit of searching I did are all for speakers.

Anyone been there, done that?

jadmt

ignore button user
Myself and everyone I know(most of whom drive trucks, at least half for a living) hate driving with lots of clothes. If the trip is more than a local run, I’m in a t-shirt. The heavy coat and hat/gloves etc is in the back(I have been in enough snow banks in the last 40 years of driving to never drive without “walking away from the wreckage “ gear

yup I can not stand wearing a coat or even heavy winter boots when traveling but always have everything needed just in case.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Speaking of Uconnect 4/5
I have walked away from my truck so many times without my phone. I have never had a recent vehicle that needed a hard wire to use half the technology.I never even took my phone out of my backpack with the last truck(just Bluetooth to the basic Uconnect)

Someone must make a wireless Apple lightning to usb dingus that works??? The bit of searching I did are all for speakers.

Anyone been there, done that?

There are definitely wireless CarPlay units.

They are kind of big though. But as long as it’s in the console you’ll never see it. It works off Wi-Fi though and not Bluetooth. So it takes a min after cranking to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
/\ thx for that , I ordered one up, lots of great reviews, the only complaint was the minor delay that you mentioned . Pretty much everyone said it was not even enough delay to be annoying
Thx again

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have been driving since the early 70's and my 2020 PW was the first dial shifter I had ever driven. On the test drive I thought it might be an issue. within a day I had totally forgotten about it and now I love it and when I drive a vehicle that has a traditional column shifter or even a floor shifter I am annoyed lol. For the record I never had an automatic until like 2002 or so.

I feel the opposite, I hate the dials and console shifters, I am annoyed if I am in a truck and it doesn't have a column shifter. Different strokes....

Zuber

I got an automatic after owning a 6-speed manual. My left foot would start tap dancing with nothing to do. There was a spot worn in the side of the cab and on the carpet. If I had a rotary dial for the shifter, then what would my right hand be up to?
Probably no good.

ripperj

Explorer
The rotary transmission selector knob on the new Ram has a cool feature- it will put itself in park .

If you are driving and stop the vehicle and shut it off while in drive- the light that shows what position the selector knob is in will flash and then the knob will rotate to park.

Figured that out by accident- maybe all new vehicles do it???

UglyViking

I feel the opposite, I hate the dials and console shifters, I am annoyed if I am in a truck and it doesn't have a column shifter. Different strokes....
I agree with this 100%. The dial shifter thing is super strange to me and not what I want in a truck. I'm fine with it in cars, although I've never owned a car with one, it's fine in theory. Before I bought my last truck I didn't even look at ram trucks as I thought they all moved to the dial shifter, it wasn't until after I looked at the cummins did I realize they left it in.

The rotary transmission selector knob on the new Ram has a cool feature- it will put itself in park .

If you are driving and stop the vehicle and shut it off while in drive- the light that shows what position the selector knob is in will flash and then the knob will rotate to park.

Figured that out by accident- maybe all new vehicles do it???

I guess that is a neat feature but I can't say I've ever stopped the truck and turned it off without putting it in park. I guess it's important in the dial?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94