The $500 Grandby Project....

BajaSurfRig

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a 1983 Grandby for $500 on Craigslist in Santa Rosa and for the price it is a killer deal (new canvas and everything works). It has a poorly done homemade paint job and some bruises and dents but all in all it is a killer little set up. While cleaning it today I noticed what looked like little mold spores in the headliner. Can I just bleach/ clean the headliner or should I tear the headliner out and replace it with something else (it seems that condensation is always an issue in the FWC's, it seems like having a porous headliner isn't the best idea).

I plan on re-sealing the roof in the near future with SilkaFlex Polyurethane, but from what I can tell it looks like the roof is somewhat leak free.

Has anyone ever replaced the headliner with 1/8" ply or masonite and painted it (with rigid foam closed celled insulation to replace the old insulation)? I don't have a big budget and plan on slowly fixing up the camper to my needs. I would most likely install fantastic fans and new LED lighting where needed when I replace the headliner (if it is needed).

Does anyone know if there is aluminum framing running under the windows lengthwise on these older FWC's? This thing was loaded/unloaded with cable jacks its whole life and has a little bit of damage where the jacks make contact with it under both windows (I am planning on installing some REICO mechanical corner jacks in the near future).

I will upload some pictures later today...

BajaSurfRig

Here is a shot of where the old cable jacks damaged part of the camper. Any idea if there is aluminum framing on this section or is it just plywood replacement?

20181024_082320.jpg

BajaSurfRig

Unfortunately the previous owner replaced the cabover section under the bed with OSB...... It is solid for now. I might just cut a sheet of aluminum to cover it and keep it out of the weather
20181024_082332.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles