The 5-ton conversion - So far ...

Buffalobwana

Observer
A couple years ago, I bought a 5-ton with the intention of turning it into an expedition vehicle (like a lot of the people who buy them).

Most find out quickly that they are uncomfortable, because of the seats and the heat, and change their mind and wind up rarely driving them.

The first step in doing this, is making the cab comfortable, or you will never want to go anywhere. So, I’ll start with a list of what I have done to make it a practical vehicle to drive.

It’s a 1990 M923A2. It was a depot rebuild, meaning the military did a complete punch list on it and fixed everything broken, worn out or rusty. It’s in excellent shape.

I’m 6’0” to give the size some perspective. These are way bigger than the deuce.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
Thanks guys.

At the time the price was double what most were selling for at auction, but they were rough, and you get what you pay for.

Buffalobwana

Observer
* Removed drivers seat and passenger bench and installed Corbeau Moab seats for the trip from WY/ID to Dallas

* Installed an AC! One of the 2 best things I did! Used an H1 AC kit and adapted it to the 5-ton. Biggest major improvement to making it comfortable to drive.

* Added a backup camera (worth the money $200 I think?)

* Replaced soft top with hard top.

* Added a military VIC 3 radio w/intercom with 2 Bose noise canceling headphones w/mic. These trucks are loud, not possible to carry on a conversation at highway speeds. Now, it’s easy.

* fabricated an overhead console to hold VIC 3 radio and 2 dome lights, one white and one red, to preserve night vision.

There is a lot more real estate up here for more electronics. Likely install flood light switches here maybe? Have not decided.

The new center console (under design at the moment) will House a lot of stuff, including the most useful items ... cup holders! But with 2 or possibly 4 batteries, the space is limited.

So I may try to fit my light relay panel on top of the overhead console.

I have accommodations for 7 circuits, probably way more than necessary, but it’s easier to put them in now than later.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
* Removed the temporary Corbeau Moab seats and bases and added true air ride seats from an MRAP. (The other major improvement).

They are heavy and cumbersome!

Amazing ride difference

* Added a makeshift electrical panel on the back wall. It has served its purpose, but everything will eventually get moved to the center console. (Looks messy. My OCD wants all wires at 90 deg angles).

* Added a 170 amp Mitsubishi alternator. The military 60 amp is a horrible design with potential to harm the electrical system if not shut down properly. (AC compressor on top, alternator on bottom)

* I found an unboxed 24v Harley Davidson headlight on Amazon for $17. I figured I’d try it. I think they were normally $80. Wow, I bought a full priced one after I saw the huge difference.

I replaced the standard (14.00x20) 49” tires with 16.00x20 - 53” tires. Wow, what a huge difference that made! Totally changed the look of the truck. 49” tires compared to 53” tires!

* For the trip from ID to TX, we camped along the way, so I bolted an Engle MT-45 fridge/freezer to the floor between the seats (pre AC.) if an Engel can hold up to 1200 miles of constant bouncing and jarring, it passes the abuse test.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
The idea behind all of this is to make the cab comfortable and safe.

If you don’t like driving it long distances, you won’t want to. So why waste the money on building a box and camper for a truck you hate to drive?

More additions to come ... just wanted to set the tone for the project.

I like driving it now. I have another 923A2 that has none of these upgrades, except the Moab seats. It’s a PITA to drive.

Buffalobwana

Observer
* I built a custom made winch bumper made from 1/2” steel. Bumper is done, 18,000 lb winch mounted, but I don’t like how it connects to truck. Winch is installed, but I don’t like the way it’s mounted either. Room for improvement on both.

For what it’s worth, this isn’t the winch I used, it’s been replaced with the black, 18k severe duty winch.

I plan to mount the pictured which on the rear of when the bed is removed. A rear facing winch is way underrated in my opinion!

And I cut the bars off the bumper and removed the Truck-lite lights. Didn’t like the design. I have 12 lights total that will get mounted, but this just wasn’t a practical design.

I have 6 of the round 6” Truck-light spots and 6 Grote Trilliant lights. I have a plan for the Grotes, not sure yet what to do with the Round lights.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
I bought the truck in WY/ID line. Started in Rigby ID and drove home.

By the way, 24 hour trip assumes you are going the speed limit. It turned out to be closer to 30 something. But we did stop and camp and took detours.

I slept in the bed, but it was July in the mountains, very comfortable weather. Would do that trip again. (Now that the truck is comfortable)

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
I started the thread because I just bought an S-280 shelter for the box.

I have seen a lot of rigs with this design. Actually, they seem to be popping up without me even searching for them.

(This is a representative pic, not my actual box)

My box looks almost perfect on the outside, except the finish, it needs paint. No forklift punctures, dents, scrapes.

No equipment mounted on the inside, no desks, file cabinets, or massive amount of electrical equipment I don’t want or need. Prep labor for this looks pretty easy. Major time saver.

The only issue is the drive. It’s about 12 hrs away.

Oh well. Can’t win them all.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Yeah, it may be comfortable, but the F-250 is way more comfortable!

I’ll take a 25’ gooseneck since I also bought two of the S-250 shelters in Kentucky.

The S-250’s fit in the M1101/1102 trailer and make great little campers. At first I was just going to pull an 1101 up there and put the other one in the bed of the truck, then I got the S-280.

The 3 barely fit. In fact, it will hang off the back by about 12”.

Plans change. At least they are all on the same route!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Ok ... now what? I’m faced with the design and amenities.

Here are my thoughts, subject to change. I need some help sourcing or suggestions on best option on some of these.

Keep in mind a lot of the system will be 24 volt bc the truck is 24 volt, and it can act as backup power or charging power in emergency, or the lithium batteries can act as a backup for the truck in case I drain truck batteries.

Having 12 volt power available is no problem. I can just pull off of a couple different 12 v cells, since each 12v circuit shouldn’t pull too many amps. Will address that problem in design phase.

Roof mounted AC. Priority. Anyone make a 24v system?
Roof mounted fan/ventilation, of course.

I will fill the roof with solar panels. Every inch possible.

I understand lithium batteries are the way to go. Who is the best source for these?

I have an Outback 3000 watt pure sine inverter. It puts out two 15 amp circuits. Can’t see needing 2, but, they are there in case I need it.

Was considering the Nature’s Head toilet. Reviews are very good. I guess a cassette head is an option. Seems like more work to install and similar disposal process.

Layout. My mind keeps changing. I have about 12’ x 8’ inside. I’m sure I can reference other plans online to get suggestions.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Looks like a cool build. How close are the new tires to each other in the back. Looks like it may only be an inch of space between them.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Glad you are documenting your build, and spending money to do it~! Great ideas for big trucks, regardless of brand. Speaking of which, where did you source the MRAP seats? We're badly in need of air ride suspension seats for our Saurer 6dm. My seat is the original spring/hydraulic seat, but the passenger seat is a car seat set on an aluminum box the PO built to hold stuff. I'd like to replace both. Second question, looking at your A/C setup in the engine bay, is that a custom bracket for the compressor and alternator? We've looked at several A/C setups, Red Dot for one, and others, and most require an engine-driven A/C compressor. Dometic in Europe has a roof-top 24v with an internal compressor, but the price and availability is questionable. Thanks, Dave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94