The $5.00 Dollar, Dollar Store Solar Oven.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I made a $5.00 Solar Oven from materials bought at a Dollar Store,

Pictures are below and a detailed description is on my blog, might be something other Overlanders would enjoy!

http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/2014/01/the-500-dollar-solar-oven.html

yyn1.jpg

vgst.jpg

qk3t.jpg

-AK

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Living Overland, Thanks, glad you liked the post. The oven thermometer inside the oven bag reached about 260 degrees, then I used a digital thermometer to check the temperature inside the turkey, it showed about 200 degrees after being out of the oven for about 10 mins.
I was really pleased that if heated up as fast as it did with just a few inexpensive items! Why more people don't cook with solar amazes me, I know it has limitations but when it's sunny and I have the time, I will use solar!
-AK

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I might have missed it in your blog, what was the ambient air temp while you were cooking?

I agree, more people should utilize solar cooking, when they are afforded the opportunity for clear skies and no wind. We have a Global Sun Oven and it works well, unless it is windy - like it is much of the time here in Wyoming. I like the parabolic reflector designs and think something like this in a parabolic shape could be killer.

Last edited:

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
It was about 70 and sunny on the last day I cooked with solar, not windy. A pretty nice day to cook with solar.
-AK

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
When I was in middle school we had a science project to make solar cookers to roast marshmallows (what middle school kid doesn't want to get loaded on sugar and what cheaper way to do it?). Anyway, this girl took an old satellite dish and lined it with aluminum foil. That marshmallow caught on fire in about 30 seconds just like it had been stuck in a fire. She stuck the marshmallow right where the receiver part goes. It was a frigid 60 degrees down here in Texas that day.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
iluv83vettes, That's a great story. They actually make parabolic solar ovens, the only drawback is that the a pretty large, great for a stationary location, but not so great for life on the road!
-AK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz