The $264 1991 F250. Talk some sense into me

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I dunno, I think there’s something serious defective with this rig.

No one I ever knew who had an older Ford with that 460 ever got 15 mpg ?

Stark in the Wild

I love this! You have to take this truck! I just got back from a 3k trip in my $900 F250 (a high price in comparison to your $250 hahaha) but i couldn't imagine having taken anything else. This has been said but I'll put extra emphasis on the Alternator. Mine went bad on a 250 mile warm up and i had to jump it every 12 miles for 45 miles until I reached an autozone. Alaska in an old pickup would be a dream come true. Best of luck on the trek!

Frogprince

Observer
I am debating about taking my 99 Suburban on its longest journey. No where near the price point of your car but I would suggest (not a bad thing, daily driver a cheap clunker because they are great);

Oil Change at a Mechanic you trust. Ask them to give it a quick once over (normally no charge) and see what they think needs replaced. This is how they make extra money. If they find anything major then you know it needs to be done.

Tires - I just put on Milestar Patagonia. They are great tires, quiet and smooth riding and bonus 10 ply so gravel isn't a concern.
Replace Wipers
Do a tune up
Carry tow strap, jumper cables, good jack and spare, good tool kit, emergency blanket and food/water rations for at least a night
Throw in a little cash in case you need to compensate some help

Then just drive it like you normally do. My family in Alaska just purchased a 85 Ford F350 to use for camping and hunting. They are slowly getting ready

Unclebob

Well covid shut the border, so I did something different. I drove a few hundred miles and drove down the first 2 sections of the WABDR zero issues and 700 miles on the trip. 9 other vehicles, all jacked up toyotas, nissans, and land cruiser. I drove up a few things that we didn't think possible. The 'farm truck' was the mascot of the trip. Love the beat up old truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles