The $264 1991 F250. Talk some sense into me

Unclebob

I bought a 1991 F250 xlt 4X4 HD 460 gasser auto overdrive transmission last year for 250 bucks that needed a front trans main seal. ($14.50 part) I fixed it and have been driving it occasionally. I LOVE driving this old truck. Its in amazing stock shape except for the paint. It has 203K miles. The trans has 100K on it. On longer distances I get up to 15 mpg, and apparently that's amazing for a 460. (The truck might have 103K miles on it, the last carfax milage was listed at 90k, and then goes blank for 10 years, no registration or anything. I'm assuming that it rolled over once during those ten years. I doubt it was kept in a barn)

Next summer, I'm going to drive from WA state to Alaska and back with my 2 highschool kids. I've been looking at buying a newer truck with low milage for the trip, but the more I look, the more I'm considering driving the old Ford up there. 90% of the driving will be on the road. There will be side trips on gravel but nothing 'sporty' really. With the age of the truck, this seems like a bad idea, but the more I think about it the more I want to do it.

I've flushed and changed all the fluids, spark plugs, filters, spark wires etc. If you were going to do a similar trip, what would you preventatively replace? What would be the most important upgrade? I'm looking for any advice on making it as reliable as possible. If anyone could give me any tips, or point me in the right direction, that would be very helpful. Or, is this just a bad idea? side11.jpgfront11.jpgThanks

Last edited:

shade

That should be a fun trip. Worse case, you ditch a dead truck that cost little, and fly back.

How are the U-joints?

I'd replace all hoses, and brake fluid (often overlooked).

Any leaks should be repaired now.

If the battery is questionable, replace it; bring a jump pack, too.

Have the suspension inspected thoroughly, or do it yourself. Worn ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings will be stressed on some of those roads.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Battery, cap, rotor. If you change hoses, change the tstat. Remove and have your starter and alternator rebuilt.

Good engine, I just hate its water pump. 87 bolts, and they're all a different length.

It's easy to swap a dana60 into those.

rnArmy

Adventurer
My 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 has almost 225,000 miles on it (5.2 V8, auto, etc.). It is the most comfortable thing to drive - full-size trucks are awesome.

I would do it. Others have already mentioned what I was thinking.

I was going to mention water pump. Much easier to replace in your driveway at your leisure where you have all your tools vs. on the side of the road somewhere. Just replace it and know you've got a new water pump as you're heading out.

Someone already mentioned U-joints. I'm mentioning them again.

Are the tires decent? Don't start your trip with so-so tires (they look iffy in the picture). Shocks ok? Shocks are cheap. Brake pads are cheap too if yours are questionable.

Upgrades? I'd upgrade the stereo and replace the speakers (Crutchfield is your friend). It isn't expensive. Factory speakers are notoriously cheap (and with the age of your truck they may not all be working), and I'm sure if you're bringing teenagers they'd appreciate things like Bluetooth and USB ports and such on the stereo (with decent sounding speakers).

onemanarmy

Explorer
How many miles are you planning? Are you scared to drive it that many miles in general? All you can do is make sure it's in tip top shape and have some common spare parts, a good spare and jack, extra water and oil, jumper cables, and good brakes. Fresh AT tires would make a world of difference with long highway stretches.

shade

Fresh AT tires would make a world of difference with long highway stretches.
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S would be a good choice for that kind of use.

Unclebob

This is all great feedback. Thanks everyone. The trip will be under 3000 miles. Onemanarmy - I'm not worried about doing long miles in general. Just looking into the common breaking points on older trucks. Then I can replace them before the trip. If I had a 2018 4runner, I'd just drive it.

jonathon

The nice thing with domestic full size trucks is they give you lots of warning before something fails catastrophically and leaves you stranded.

My big concern would be the E4OD. I would make sure it has fresh fluid and that the cooler is up to snuff. They aren’t weak like the AOD, but towing heavy without maintenance kills them.

The TTB D50 is pretty stout, just realize the enter chunk is basically a D44. The center u joint is a pain in the ass. If it were me I would do new center pivot bushings, new u joints, and new ball joints. It’s a **********, but worth it.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The most I ever got out of a factory 460 was 265k mi. It was cruising along fine on the freeway and just died. Didn't take long to figure out the dist wasn't turning. Towed it home, opened up the front and found that the end of the cam where the timing gear bolted on...just broke off.

Otherwise, ran like a top right up to the end.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd upgrade the stereo and replace the speakers (Crutchfield is your friend). It isn't expensive. Factory speakers are notoriously cheap (and with the age of your truck they may not all be working), and I'm sure if you're bringing teenagers they'd appreciate things like Bluetooth and USB ports and such on the stereo (with decent sounding speakers).

Amazon has better pricing and you can find some killer deals if you select "used" in the filters. I got my entire sound system for about 60% off that way (two amps, install kit, door speakers, sub, sound mat). None of it was used, they just had damaged packaging.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 460 is a great motor and will probably last until you are tired of the truck. In stock form they put very little stress on the engine internals.

MK13

Everyone has already mentioned everything I would have suggested with the main things for me being Brakes, Fluids and Belts/Hoses. Stuff that tends to dry out when vehicles don't get driven much.

Best Case, you don't blend in with everyone else cruising the freeways and you have a great trip with your kids and the truck is just a part of it.

Next Best Case, you have a couple of issues and as long as you keep an upbeat attitude it turns into a Roadkill style trip and your kids enjoy the extra adventure.

Worst Case, the truck completely lets you down and you have to abandon it and fly home or you have to buy another beater just to get you home. That could go either way I guess.

Watt maker

For a trip like that I would check/replace the following;

Tires
Brakes-including all brake hoses
Wheel bearings
U-joints
All fluids
Fuel filters- and carry some spares
Do a proper tune up- plugs, wires, cap, rotor, clean the throttle body
Pick up an additional ignition module (grey box on the side of the distributor), maybe even pick up a whole spare distributor
Antifreeze- I also change all the hoses and thermostat as well, good time to also check the fan clutch and radiator
All lights
Suspension bushings
Shocks

All in all, those are pretty good trucks but with age and mileage, anything can happen.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm a fan of money pits! That one looks like it could use some suspension refreshening.

I can recommend rockauto.com, I've made over 40 parts orders with them the last few years. They usually have 3-4 price tiers / quality options. Real handy when you decide you want to refresh a whole subsystem of parts in one go, while you already have most of the things taken apart.

shade

I'm a fan of money pits! That one looks like it could use some suspension refreshening.

I can recommend rockauto.com, I've made over 40 parts orders with them the last few years. They usually have 3-4 price tiers / quality options. Real handy when you decide you want to refresh a whole subsystem of parts in one go, while you already have most of the things taken apart.
Good call. I've been happy with them, too. For such a common vehicle, they probably have any part you could want, and their interface is easy to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94