The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I have been running the Discoverer S/T Maxx and it has proven to be a good tough tire. I have noticed a significant hit to power on hills and towing though. The Maxx weighs 58# I believe. My next tire will be the older Discoverer S/T in load range D instead of E. That tire comes in at 49#, which means a reduction of 36 pounds in rotating mass. That is significant. I think the D load range is probably a better match to the Tacoma as well. If the KM3 were available in 255/85-16 Load range D, and 50# or less, that would be my choice.

MR. ED

Observer
I just ordered some ST Maxx in 255/85/16 for my new to me (87) suburban. I also run this tire in a 255/80/17 on my F350 and according to the tire calculator they're almost identical.
UPDATE: They're actually the Cooper ST.

Last edited:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
I bought the DC Extreme Country tires in this size. I haven't really noticed them being significantly stiffer or harsher than the "C" Duratracs that preceded them. A lot more tread noise for sure, and a big change in torque to the road with the larger diameter. So far I've been using similar pressures to what I used on the Duratracs: 35psi on the road, 22-25 psi on dirt roads (based on wear measurements, I might need to decrease my road pressure.) I haven't been on anything that required lower pressures, although I have been on several difficult roads that lower pressure would've helped quite a bit. Guess I was too lazy to let out more air.

I'm not impressed with the wear, which was ~0.1" in 4200 miles. Those were either highway miles, or dirt miles, since I only use the 4runner on trips.

Maybe the Cooper ST Maxx is in my future, unless there are Duratrac or General Grabber X3 offered in this size next time around. The Duratracs were awesome tires for my needs, just too small.
I just replaced my worn out DC Extreme Country 255/85-16 tires with the same size Cooper ST Maxx.

DCEC summary:
- 25k miles on the set of five (5) tires, either highway getting to dirt, or driving on dirt and rock
- Tread depth went from .57" to .21" in the 25k miles (actually closer to 20k miles per tire due to 5 tire rotation every 4k miles)
- EC had worse chipping than the previous Duratrac 31" tires, which had a lot more miles on them
- Just one tire plug repair was done due to a screw that go in a tire
- I like the tall skinnies, but not impressed with this tire. I sure wish there were more options in this size

nastav

Adventurer
Any experience with the Mastercraft Courser CXT? I’m looking at this versus the Cooper St Maxx to hopefully avoid the right pull that many have with the ST Maxx in 255/85r16 on sprinter 4x4. The extra siping on the Courser would hopefully be helpful in winter as well. Downside would be 2 ply sidewalk vs the 3 ply in the Maxx.
I’m honestly a fan of the size, but not a fan of any of the all terrain options available.
I emailed Falken and BFG, And Toyo to see if either would offer an all-terrain in this size.
I’ve never considered a Cooper tire product.....but I’d like a bit larger tire than my second choice of 235/85r16....but not as wide as the 265/75r16.
No interest in going to an aftermarket 17” to open up tire choices.....the sprinter comes with proper narrow steel wheels in 16”.
Hoping to avoid having a dedicated winter set of wheels and ties and dedicated summer set.....if I went that route I’d be all over the Toyo MT in 255/85r16!

Grassland

In Canada the Toyo AT2 is listed (or was recently anyways) in LT255/80R17.
The tire shop i was dealing with said "they aren't showing as available right now" and that was the end of that, or i would have gone with those. Instead I ended up with 34x10.5R17 BFG Ko2, and prior to that I was running same BFG in 235/80R17 The 235 were not handling the weight of my max loaded half ton as well as the 34x10.5 do. By this i mean the tread was chunking and tearing.

JduRunner

Observer
Falken is releas
In Canada the Toyo AT2 is listed (or was recently anyways) in LT255/80R17.
The tire shop i was dealing with said "they aren't showing as available right now" and that was the end of that, or i would have gone with those. Instead I ended up with 34x10.5R17 BFG Ko2, and prior to that I was running same BFG in 235/80R17 The 235 were not handling the weight of my max loaded half ton as well as the 34x10.5 do. By this i mean the tread was chunking and tearing.
I have the Toyos in the 255/80R17 currently. Other than the somewhat tame looks I have been very happy with them. I was very excited about the 34x10.5 KO2s when they were first announced. IMHO BFG REALLY screwed up with the pricing on them. They are pushing the 35-37" tire prices, and as such are by far and away the most expensive skinny 33". Falken just released the AT3W in a 255/80 as well.

crazytimme

I read that Falken is releasing the AT3W soon in 255/80r17. Nothing about 255/85r16 yet.
Falken just released the AT3W in 255/80R17. Just bought a set on tire buyer and had them instaled on my 07 Expedition EL. Nice thing is they only weigh 52.5lbs.
Cheaper the even the P rated 285s.

Grassland

Falken is releas

I have the Toyos in the 255/80R17 currently. Other than the somewhat tame looks I have been very happy with them. I was very excited about the 34x10.5 KO2s when they were first announced. IMHO BFG REALLY screwed up with the pricing on them. They are pushing the 35-37" tire prices, and as such are by far and away the most expensive skinny 33". Falken just released the AT3W in a 255/80 as well.

I was quoted more for the Toyos in 255/80R17 than the BFG KO2 in 34x10.5R17 locally. I can't recall but I believe the ST maxx in the 80 series was more than the BFG as well. Were i going to run two sets of wheels I'd probably have given the ST MAXX a go, but i kind of need a four season tire. Its winter way too long here.

(none)

Adventurer
Falken just released the AT3W in 255/80R17. Just bought a set on tire buyer and had them instaled on my 07 Expedition EL. Nice thing is they only weigh 52.5lbs.
Cheaper the even the P rated 285s.

You didn't happen to weigh a tire before installing, did you? The weights they list seem weird. The 255/80 is showing 52.5 lbs, the smaller 265/75 weighs 52.9 lbs, both e rated. A C rated 275/70 weighs a whole 4.5 lbs HEAVIER at 57.1 lbs. The largest tire (albiet slightly narrower) weighs the least?

crazytimme

You didn't happen to weigh a tire before installing, did you? The weights they list seem weird. The 255/80 is showing 52.5 lbs, the smaller 265/75 weighs 52.9 lbs, both e rated. A C rated 275/70 weighs a whole 4.5 lbs HEAVIER at 57.1 lbs. The largest tire (albiet slightly narrower) weighs the least?

No, I did not weigh them, I had them shiped to the installer directly.
I did measure the tread width at 8in, my pickup has at3w in 265/75r16E and the tread is just over 8.5in. The tread area has lot more weight then sidewalls, I believe the bfg 33x10.5 is lighter then their 32x11.5. Also the 265/70r17E is 18/32 vs the 17 of the 255, sure it's not much but it all adds up.

JduRunner

Observer
I was quoted more for the Toyos in 255/80R17 than the BFG KO2 in 34x10.5R17 locally. I can't recall but I believe the ST maxx in the 80 series was more than the BFG as well. Were i going to run two sets of wheels I'd probably have given the ST MAXX a go, but i kind of need a four season tire. Its winter way too long here.
Wow that surprises me. I havent see the 34" BFG listed anywhere for under $290/tire. I got my Toyos for $185/tire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles