The 2015 Chevy Colorado build and price is up. Anyone excited? Anyone ordered?

Kaisen

Explorer
We're looking at it as a replacement to our '91 Toyota, but the Colorado is off my list because it can only be purchased with an automatic transmission. I'll deal with power windows if I have to but I won't buy an auto. I dunno if I'm a fanboi or whatever....

I don't think a preference for manual transmissions makes that list. However, it's getting harder and harder to make that a criteria for purchase.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't think a preference for manual transmissions makes that list. However, it's getting harder and harder to make that a criteria for purchase.

yeah, people like to text and facebook, rather than shift their own gears. Frightening watching people...not really paying attention.

I prefer a manual trans, though it looks like I will have to come to terms with the lack of them now, if I buy new. Even the 26' bobtail I rented to move up here was auto, fricken hated it.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I am so over manual transmissions in daily drivers but up until recently my main criteria for a vehicle was a manual trans as well but the older I get and the more by back and hip bother me the less I enjoy driving them. These days I almost hate driving my Silverado with the clumsy ZF 6 speed. The ZF 6 speed has to be the most gawd awful shifting manual GM ever used! I ordered my current Silvy with a manual and the Z71 prior that this one was ordered with a manual. Now days, I wouldn't buy another brand new vehicle with a manual except for maybe a Jeep Rubicon where a manual trans should be standard equipment if not even requirement :). I may be over manual transmissions but I MUST have a manual shift transfercase. That electric shift crap needs to go (the reason the Silvy WT and RAM PW appeal to me...they have real levers!). Maybe now that soccer moms have moved on to crossover vehicles we can have our real trucks back??

Manuals are definitely going the way of the dodo bird for many reasons. First the take rate is pretty small these days and they take more fine tuning to meet emissions as the idle speed is constantly varying while belching out more hydrocarbons (gas engines) than an automatic counterpart. These days only small displacement gas engines are paired up with manuals for that reason. If you have driven any manual transmissions in vehicles with a gas engine of decent size in the past 10 years you may have noticed the idle actually flares up a bit while shifting in order to keep hydrocarbons at bay. It becomes much more noticeable when the engines are very warm in hot ambient temperatures. I've spoken to a few GM calibrators that stated developing calibrations for manual transmissions equipped vehicles take twice as long over automatics. The manufactures just don't find development cost and build complexity for manuals worth the hassle for such a low take rate.

3131988527_96e11a599f_o.jpg

Saiyan66

Adventurer
While I am very excited about the release of this truck, I still can't figure out why Chevy went with the 3.6L motor instead of the current 4.3L that is in the Silverado. The 3.6L is rated at 305HP/269TQ whereas the 4.3L is rated at 285HP/305TQ. Comparing the dyno graphs between the two reveals that the 4.3L has close to a 40 FT/LB advantage throughout the powerband. I think that the 3.6L is going to feel a little doggy due to the lack of low end torque. Chevy has been leaning this way in all their engines since they switched to the LS series motors and it just doesn't make for a good feeling truck motor. The 2.8L diesel power numbers are right where they should be though and that will be an awesome little package. Your opinions may vary, this is just my $.02.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Out of curiosity, I went on Chevy's site and built WT versions:

2015 Colorado Crew Cab Short Box WT 4x4 3.6L V6 with Trailer Tow and Locking Rear -- $31,155 MSRP

2014 Silverado Crew Cab Short Box WT 4x4 4.3L V6 with Trailer Tow and Locking Rear -- $38,715 MSRP

Unless my calculator is broken, that's a $7,560 difference in MSRP between a comparably equipped Silverado and Colorado, in stripped-out Expy Fanboi mode

Does it come in "Expo" white?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Your point about emissions I think is probably an important one why manufacturers don't spec manuals anymore.
First the take rate is pretty small these days
But this is not what I'm finding looking for Tacomas. They offer a 6 speed MT on all the models and finding them is tough. Dealers can't keep them in stock, they go from Craigslist fast. Same is true of the Nissan mid sized. One dealer told me he can't seem to pry stick shift Tacomas from people on trade-in, they do better selling them on Craigslist than anything he can offer. Maybe it's a regional thing, Toyota mini trucks in general have cult status and command a premium in Colorado.

Our search is for an Access Cab (their extended cab, not 4 door crew cab), V6, MT, TRD with under 30K miles and we might find one comes up every week or two in Internet searches. We call the lister or dealer and it's gone already. You have to be ready to go the day it lists it seems. We'd even consider brand new but we'd at least like to test drive one and no one has 'em. The 4 door with short bed and autos, every dealer has half a dozen of those used on the lot.

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
That's why I love my truck (minus the electric buttons for 4x4). Roll up windows, 5 speed manual, larger(ish) engine, manual locks. Only problem is when I eventually list it for sale, no one will buy it cause it's a 5 speed. I tired selling it a couple times stock, but zero takers.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Drive a one-ton diesel with a double disc clutch in stop-n-go traffic and you will forever hate manuals. Modern autos are so much better in trucks. Only way I would go manual is in a sports car personally.

Clutch

<---Pass
Drive a one-ton diesel with a double disc clutch in stop-n-go traffic and you will forever hate manuals. Modern autos are so much better in trucks. Only way I would go manual is in a sports car personally.

I used to drive a gas Chevy C70 with a 2-Speed rear end, I rather enjoyed driving that truck. The cab over Ford C600 water truck was bung hole puckering though. That thing
tried to kill me a couple few times. The F350 Dump had a 4-Speed...that sucker had a long throw.

Even though it is auto, like I said...that new F150 2.7 Ecoboost is peaking my interest, we will see what real world mileage it gets. Base 4WD model of course. ;)

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
There are some vehicles I wouldn't buy if not for a diesel option. I paid a premium for my KJ CRD, there's no way I would've purchased a "regular" Liberty. I worked at a Chevy dealership for a few years and we sold a lot of Silverado's, I think they're great and all, but too big for me, especially on the trails. That's me. When the GM reps started talking about the new Colorado, I said that I'd buy one if there was a diesel option and I most-likely will; a small diesel engine in a smallish truck is something that appeals to me. When the Colorado is ready to go next year, if there are no others in the field, Chevy will get my business.... Unless Toyota does something amazing with the Tacoma. :)

4x4junkie

Explorer
Your point about emissions I think is probably an important one why manufacturers don't spec manuals anymore.

First the take rate is pretty small these days

But this is not what I'm finding looking for Tacomas. They offer a 6 speed MT on all the models and finding them is tough. Dealers can't keep them in stock, they go from Craigslist fast. Same is true of the Nissan mid sized. One dealer told me he can't seem to pry stick shift Tacomas from people on trade-in, they do better selling them on Craigslist than anything he can offer. Maybe it's a regional thing, Toyota mini trucks in general have cult status and command a premium in Colorado.

Our search is for an Access Cab (their extended cab, not 4 door crew cab), V6, MT, TRD with under 30K miles and we might find one comes up every week or two in Internet searches. We call the lister or dealer and it's gone already. You have to be ready to go the day it lists it seems. We'd even consider brand new but we'd at least like to test drive one and no one has 'em. The 4 door with short bed and autos, every dealer has half a dozen of those used on the lot.

This has been my experience as well... Dealers never seem to stock manuals like they should. It should be little wonder why people aren't taking them, they are not able to buy them. The crap about nobody wanting them is just false.
icon13.png

RoyJ

Adventurer

Well, I've got a 12 ton bus with a Detroit Diesel and 5 speed crash box (Spicer) and double disk clutch, and you're right, I absolutely hate it in anything but sustained 60 mph cruise!

Even in sports cars it's hard to pick a manual these days. Watching the latest Hellcat videos, that 8 speed ZF is absolutely amazing. Promises 160 millisecond shift times in the upcoming Z06 - makes the T56 in my Z06 feel downright archaic.

Been busy with grad school and on a bit of a hiatus from the site but have been eyeing these colorados with the diesel option. It makes a lot of sense for me. I used to drive an f350 for work and hate driving anything bigger than a midsize honestly. That was a big factor in picking my Tacoma over a f150 (despite the fact my 4cyl gets the same MPG as the same year model f150 with double the power). I would be on board but I just can't understand why GM can't make their chassis fit underneath the body of their trucks! It has been the same way for years. Even these new Colorados look like they have a body lift! I know it is stupid but it is has bothered me about GM trucks since I was a kid. I think I'm going to hold out and see what the dodge ecodiesel turns out to be.

superbuickguy

Explorer
When the diesel option comes out, I will probably be a buyer. My H3 will have 150k on it and be about ready to have all it's gear removed, buy new (unscratched) skid plates, and repaint the truck (never sell a modified 4x4)... though it does depend on whether or not I can get 35s under it. To me that's non-negotiable (plus, gotta keep the skid plates pristine for the fool... err... future buyer of my only-to-church-driven 4x4s)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94