The 2006 KTM 640 Adventure Build

flux

Observer
TxRider said:
Then again, now that KTM has ended the LC4 engine line and is coming out with a whole new 600 class bike redesigned from the ground up maybe waiting a year or two might be best.

That is not entirely true...the new 690's are LC4 engines. I have ridden the 690SM and it is SMOOOOOTH.... My 640 is a paint shaker, but I love it so!

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Part III

Part III: Exhaust

The 640 comes with a 50 State compliant exhaust system manufactured by SuperTrapp. It is a decent exhaust but it is heavy and very restrictive with all of the associated emissions equipment. The power of the bike was also a little flat in my opinion and after doing a little research I was able to determine that changing the silencer and re-jetting the bike would "liven" the bike up a bit.

When I brought my bike in for the first service to the dealer I inquired about exhaust for my bike. Coincidentally the dealer had just installed an Akrapovic titanium slip-on exhaust and a re-jet on another customer's bike and highly recommended the same set-up. I had the dealer order the parts up and do the work since the 640 was in the shop anyways. I am very pleased with the exhaust and jetting mods that were done to my bike.

The Akrapovic

11.gif

The The Akrapovic silencer is a very nice part and 60%, or about five pounds lighter than the factory SuperTrapp. The Akrapovic also has a removable silencer for when you want to wake the neighbors.

12.jpg

According to the db test on ADV Rider the stock SuperTrapp exhaust tests at 90db @ 4250 RPM and 96db @ 6000 RPM. The Akrapovic tests at 98db @ 4250 and 102db @ 6000 RPM. For reference, the Hella Super Tone Dual horns belt out and advertised 118 db’s. Without the silencer the bike is LOUD under load but quiet (enough) when you’re just cruising.

The SuperTrapp

The rangers and police have left me alone because the 640 isn’t a dirt only bike and I doubt they’d notice any of the emissions stuff missing. I did keep the factory SuperTrapp for the places where I know the rangers will check for spark arrestors and db since it is very easy to swap the exhaust pipes out.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Akrapovic LC4 Titanium Slip-on Exhaust Part Number: 57305079400

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier