The $15,000 Expedition Vehicle: How would you build it?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
How would you build it?

Buy a slighty damaged low mile 80 series LC for $5300 and go hog wild on it mods and replacing each and every item known to fail.

Hmmm, sounds familiar! :hehe:

I gotta run to a game now, but when i get back i will detail my costs of building my 80 over the last year or so.

I am sitting at almost exactly 15k and think i have one hell of a reliable expedition rig right now! :D

All that i need now is the roof tent/awning and i am done! :) Well of course for the CRF450X that will be in tow! :D

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
seth_js said:
Is diesel gas as readily available in places like Central/South America as it is in the states?
Diesel is very readily available in Central and South America. Most of the trucks/SUV's are diesel powered in SA. The price of gas is still very comparable to here, but they do not have the restrictions on diesel like we do here. Should have no problem finding it in that part of the world.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
What a great bunch of responses!

I'd be tempted by the FJ60 option. However, for such a trip I think having the most self-contained, secure, weatherproof, comfortable, and convenient home would be the number two priority next to a reliable vehicle. Therefore I'd look for a used Four Wheel Popup camper and mount it on the best four-wheel-drive Tacoma that would fit in the budget. The four-cylinder would be fine, perhaps even preferable since you'd get a vehicle in better condition (and lower mileage) for the same price. Manual transmission, of course. I'd install heavy duty shocks and rear air bags, and carry an extra bag or two (or, if the budget allowed, Deaver springs). I believe I'd skip the winch and carry a Hi-Lift jack with kit to set up a manual winch if necessary. I'd install a heavy duty front bumper for protection from wayward third-world farm animals and tapirs, and a simple, heavy duty rear bumper with recovery points. Optima or Odyssey batteries. Replace the three-way fridge with an Engel. New BFGs or Goodyears.

I'd feel perfectly sanguine leaving for Tierra del Fuego with such a rig.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
haven said:
common limiting factor is overhead clearance.
Very good point. When I say `lift' I truly mean a severe load capable spring which of course generally results in a mild couple-inch lift. Certainly no 6" lifts here.

Though maybe the roof rack could be substituted for a rear bumper/carrier for fuel and other gear...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
One of the reasons I brought up the Zuki with a VW diesel conversion is I have the Zuk and have played with converting it, so it was a fun mental process getting it ready to go. Plus it is fun to be a bit different.

But, I also think it is a good candidate for such a trip:

first and foremost, capable.

gas mileage, and range, would be tremendous with the diesel

small and maneuverable for the tight roads, cities, etc ...

a Zuk is also fairly unassuming (like a Toyota p/u) and down there, a full size pickup sporting US plates would be pretty high profile (probably anything with US plates would be though.)

In reality though, I'd probably choose something like an 80-series Cruiser. I like having everything enclosed and they are just beautiful machines. I love my Land Rovers, but for reliability, real or perceived (never had any problems with my Disco Series I) I'd go Toyota. Man, are you guys influencing me or what ...?

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
I am originally from Colombia (South America) and I am an Automotive Technician from WyoTech. I have done 4x4 expeditions all around my country and some travelling in South America, the USA and Europe.

I would recommend the following:

For any expedition trough South/Central America, I would recommend Toyota products as a first option. Why? they are reliable, durable and parts are readily available everywhere from Mexico to Argentina. Keep in mind that your average backyard mechanic in third world country will NOT know much about EFI, so you will probably have better service options with an FJ60 (carburated) than you would with an FJ80 (EFI). In fact, in Colombia, Toyota introduced EFI 4.5L engines (1 FZ-FE) in 1999!!!

As a second option I would go the Land Rover way, Series II & III, even early Defenders w/o EFI. These are simple, durable, reliable, easy to get service (even in the third world) and parts can be found easily.

So what are the options?
-Toyota FJ60 with carb. engine, easily built under $15K
-Toyota BJ60 more expensive than the gasoline version but still possible
-Toyota Pick-up with a 4 banger, no problem for $15K budget
-Toyota FJ80 (Preferably South American spec. NO EFI)
-Land Rover, any of the above mentioned (NO EFI)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
I am curious of how some of you would build one with the following criteria:
1. 2 Occupants
2. Camping out of the vehicle
3. 4wd for accessing remote locations
4. The 15k includes the price of the vehicle and all modifications.

How would you build it?

How about, how DID We build it? :D

Ok, here is my breakdown of what i did and why.

I wanted something reliable, comfortable, with good aftermarket support and something fairly common to source parts for.

I decided on a FZJ80 for those very reasons above. It would be very tough to find a more reliable and comfy rig for the price.

Since it was going to be used extensively offroad doing everything from Expedition trips to Baja, some rock crawling and everything in between i knew the paint would be scratched. Because of this, the exterior was not really important to me.

The search began for a low mileage FZJ80 that was mechanically sound. It took a few months but the ideal candidate fell into my lap. It was a 93FZJ80 with 110k from the original owner with ALL records of work done. Super clean inside and very mechanically sound.

The catch was that it was in a small fender bender and destroyed the front bumper and some other minor stuff. This was perfect for me because i didnt care about an exterior that was going to be subject to brush and rocks and the interior and mechanics were perfect! I beat the guy up on the price and got it for $5700. Perfect platform for a Expediton build up.

Here is a jist of what i did, why i did it and how much it cost.

-New Hood = $330
-ARB Bumper = $650
-Headlight = $225

*Now it looks perfect and has an ARB bumper for $6905

Stuff i added for long distance travel:

45 Quart Engel Fridge = $475
1500 Watt Power Inverter = $175
Custom Dual Battery Setup = $300
Retrofitted front and rear Electric lockers $1300 for both
Hanna Sliders = $800
Slee Rear Bumper = $1200
African Outback full aluminum rack = $1100
(5) 33" MTR = $1200
Hi Lift Jack = $75
Alpine Deck with Direct Connect Ipod Controls = $200
Cobra CB = $70
LED Interior Lighting = $100
OME Lift, Shocks and Stabilizer = $900
44 Gallon Aux Tank = $1300 (with all the goodies)
Headlight Upgrade = $125

Total = $16,225 for what, in my opinion is an excellent expedition rig with all the goodies.

If i had to scratch $1200 off to get it down to $15 i would lose the MTR's for something quieter! :D

Still left to do is:
-Roof Tent
-HID Aux Lights
-Winch
-Drawer System

I have gone on trips to baja with me + 3 others in the rig and were fairly comfortable (as long as the shortest person sits behind me, :D )

This is my .02

:D

Last edited:

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
Sounds to me like a great set up. Everything you need in expedition vehicle when done.
By the way where did you find a Engel 45 for only $475 ?

jkam

nomadic man
86 Chevy Pathfinder 4x4 van

A few years ago I found a Pathfinder van sitting in Albuquerque.
Made an offer and drove away for $1900.
I put about $16,000 into it and have a very comfortable expedition rig.
I've spent plenty of time down in Baja and the setup works fine.
I would have no problem taking it to Tierra del Fuego if I could afford the fuel.
Here is a link to the rebuild I did.
http://www.nomadicman.com/kvan.html

in_the_desert_2.jpg

justfred

Adventurer
Vagabundo

Colorado Ron said:
Now to come up with a completely different setup, Id try a Pinz. Easily done for under $15k. You can find a 710M for $5-8k fairly easily. That gives you gobs of ground clearance, bullet proof drivetrain, and selectable lockers. $1000 for paint, $1000 for new tires, $1000 for misc maintance, and its setup. Leaves you with at least $4k to equip it with gear such as winch, roof top tent, storage, and fridge!

Paint? What is this "paint" you speak of??

I love my Pinz, and it's got a lot going for it durability and performance-wise - main problem being (I believe) it's too military-looking to try to take through South America without it being confiscated and/or comandeered. Maybe that's why the paint - make it bright pink with big yellow daisies and the Federales will be less likely to want to steal it?

I'd go with a late '60s/early '70s (IIA or III) Land Rover 109. Hard top and 3-door would probably be the most practical, tho I still like the soft top better. Personally I like right hand drive on crappy roads 'cause you can see where the edge is. But any cheap beater Toyota 4x pickup would be fine. The uglier looking the better. If it's new and shiny take it out and roll it a couple of times first, or at least take a 5lb sledge to the sheet metal. Put the money into replacing and waterproofing the electrical system, and tuning up everything under the hood that's a maintenance question. Go stock, because that's what you'll need when it breaks down.

The '71 Vanagon is a good idea as well. If you're really going all the way to Tierra Del Fuego, you aren't going to have time to bother with fun dirt roads - mostly you'll be on some form of pavement. VWs are what the (relatively well off) locals drive. If it were trans-Africa, 4wd might be more mandatory.

Go minimal on gear. What do you need a fridge and solar panels for? Sure, having steaks is great for a short outing; for a long trip, learn to love canned or dehydrated food, or eat fresh like the locals. Worst case, styrofoam cooler and a bag of ice.

I like a small lock box (ammo box bolted to the truck somewhere) for camera, cash, and passport when they're not on you (swimming?). Otherwise don't take anything (including the truck) that you can't lose and replace easily.

Throw in a kill switch of some sort, hidden under the dash. Just two different-colored wires that have to be twisted together to run the fuel pump, for example. It won't keep the truck from being stripped, but it will stop runaway joyriders/carjackers pretty quickly, while possibly giving you time to hide. If, say, they take you at gunpoint? Throw up your hands: "Este troke siempre es rompido".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior