2nd Gen Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins / The “Puller” Project

landman

Today ill be installing the winch and Thuren bumper. Got some cheap lights that I’ll install for the mean time as well. Ill circle back and get some nicer lights down the road, I have these cheap ones just sitting here so might as well give them a try. Ill post picture later today or early tomorrow on the bumper install.

landman

Please keep us posted on the EMS Free Spin kit. I really cannot stomach the price of the Dynatrac kits. :sick:

Hey @David_411 ,
As a second follow up report for you, the EMS parts and install are amazing. The setup guide they send is top notch and all the parts are flawless and super beef. HIGHLY recommended as an alternative to Dynatrac.

landman

Bumper, winch, and lights all installed …. Its been a long 2 days, but its all done. There was a lot modifying to get the winch to but it fits! Ill post details later on what I did to make it fit, but here are some pics for now.

CA992902-3098-465F-86F9-AC103FCA97A2.jpeg
9F6B673B-8755-4B35-A8C4-2D28EBE215A8.jpeg
2060F932-27EC-4501-BAD2-9CEAFE9D945D.jpeg
A23D6028-50C6-433D-9008-46EEC06998A3.jpeg
795D1523-84FB-489D-8B0D-35DCB06362AF.jpeg
5B7FCDD8-BD31-473C-A737-090FA5AE85BB.jpeg

Last edited:

trackhead

Adventurer
Awesome rig and build. I had that same truck for years with a truck camper on it, and towed a fifth wheel all over the country for work in the past. Robust vehicle for sure.

calameda

Only recently been following your build. Great stuff. I've got a 3rd gen cummins and am considering similar upgrades. The thing that drew me to yours was the focus on long term reliability, while avoiding the bling, i.e. still preserving the, um, aesthetic, of the 2nd gen. I realize I'm definitely in the minority here, but I prefer the low key look. But then I'm not a rock crawler or desert racer, I just go slow and steady to the farthest places I can get to. In fact, if there were beefed up winch and strike capable bumpers in the style of OEM, I'd go that route, but sadly, no one offers that. Guess I'm a market of one.

Wondering what led you to choose this particular bumper, versus stock or other winch compatible alternatives (say, Buckstop or Trail Ready)? What's the bumper weight? And are you happy with it (which is all that matters after all)?

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Only recently been following your build. Great stuff. I've got a 3rd gen cummins and am considering similar upgrades. The thing that drew me to yours was the focus on long term reliability upgrades, while avoiding the bling, i.e. still preserving the, um, aesthetic, of the 2nd gen. I realize I'm definitely in the minority here, but I prefer the low key look. But then I'm not a rock crawler or desert racer, I just go slow and steady to the farthest places I can get to. In fact, if there were beefed up winch and strike capable bumpers in the style of OEM, I'd go that route, but sadly, no one does. Guess I'm a market of one.

Wondering what led you to choose this particular bumper, versus stock or other winch compatible alternatives (say, Buckstop or Trail Ready)? What's the bumper weight? And are you happy with it (which is all that matters after all)?

I agree, I wish there was a more "factory" looking bumper that has provisions for a winch and better protection. Not sure on 3rd gens but it seems many 2nd gen bumpers end up looking like the truck has a fat lip sticking out.

landman

Only recently been following your build. Great stuff. I've got a 3rd gen cummins and am considering similar upgrades. The thing that drew me to yours was the focus on long term reliability, while avoiding the bling, i.e. still preserving the, um, aesthetic, of the 2nd gen. I realize I'm definitely in the minority here, but I prefer the low key look. But then I'm not a rock crawler or desert racer, I just go slow and steady to the farthest places I can get to. In fact, if there were beefed up winch and strike capable bumpers in the style of OEM, I'd go that route, but sadly, no one offers that. Guess I'm a market of one.

Wow, I’ve been gone from the forum for awhile. Been a hectic time. To be honest I only found 2 other winch comparable bumpers that looks ok. 1 is from dodge off-road. For many reasons, I dont like that company. 2 is a product from China, so I didn’t want that. I went with Thurens prototype bumper since it American made and I think looked the best compared to anything else out there. Although the price was steep, so thats a negative for my bumper. Otherwise I love it. It Gnarly stronger and beefy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles