TFL takes a 78 Subaru DL to Moab

GB_Willys_2014

TFL takes a 78 Subaru DL to Moab, and challenges modern Subarus

I have a soft spot for old Subarus, and watching this old DL do its thing is just plain fun.

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ im pretty sure at least some did. i seem to recall fighting a second shifter from going up my ass riding ********** in a brat to a bmx race as a kid, lol.

got a chance to watch the vid. really cool seeing that old suby out there, not really tearing it up, but taking care of business. thanks for posting it. i love seeing people do things with vehicles that everyone else says cant be done.

would a newer subaru really have any issues with those same obstacles? they have more clearance and more hp/tq. i wouldnt hesitate a second to take my civic out there and do those exact same lines. only issue i saw was i would need to take the exit on the second part of ass scratcher at an angle or id ******** up my front bumper. that guy could have avoided scraping anything on that car taking a few departures at just a slight exit angle. i know easy to say here having never been on those trails, but sure looked like it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
didn’t those old school subys have a low gear?

Not in 1978. I believe the low range option for Subarus was in the early- to mid-1980's.

Non-US model Outbacks and Foresters from the 90's to the 2000's (and maybe even today) also had that option, but only on manual transmission vehicles and as I said, not in the US/Canada market.

Speaking of low range, anybody remember the Toyota Tercel Wagon from the early 80's? I seem to recall it had a 6 speed manual transmission where there was a "super low" gear that only worked in 4wd, essentially mimicking a low range transfer case.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Speaking of low range, anybody remember the Toyota Tercel Wagon from the early 80's? I seem to recall it had a 6 speed manual transmission where there was a "super low" gear that only worked in 4wd, essentially mimicking a low range transfer case.

lol, the atm wagons! ya they were fwd and had a push button 4wd with a sl option. theres one that must live close to me that is rattle canned black with at tires on it. might even be lifted. ive seen it a few times now.

our civics have the sl gear too, but you cant choose when its in awd. the viscous coupler in the driveline makes that decision for you.

GB_Willys_2014

Not in 1978. I believe the low range option for Subarus was in the early- to mid-1980's.

Non-US model Outbacks and Foresters from the 90's to the 2000's (and maybe even today) also had that option, but only on manual transmission vehicles and as I said, not in the US/Canada market.

Hahaha.

I remember those old Tercel wagons. A buddy's parents had one, which he used to "borrow" occasionally. The odometer rolled backwards, and he would reset the mileage "Ferris Bueller" style so his parents were supposedly never the wiser.

Mos6502

I had an '84 Subaru hatchback that had the two speed transfer case. I think I used the low range exactly once when I owned it.

I wonder what the max gradient is on the inclines they took that Subaru. I think it should have been able to take it without stalling. I calculated the ratios, and in 1st they should be going about 11mph at 2500rpm (engine's torque peak). Interestingly the gearing on the Subaru and the available torque are about the same as that on my '69 Saab wagon, which I've driven up 30% grades without stalling. The real problem has been that the wheels lose grip on steeper inclines, rather than the engine stalling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles