Tex's 2019 GX460 build

Wallygator

Adventurer
The 4Runner, which is a less luxurious GX doesn't have the auto lights either. Again, it's not a big deal. You literally just lift your arm off the arm rest about 10 inches and turn the lights on, then lower your arm back to the arm rest. A very low impact maneuver.

If this is too hard then you can just keep the headlights on all the time and they will shut off when you turn the vehicle off. Super low impact!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The 4Runner, which is a less luxurious GX doesn't have the auto lights either. Again, it's not a big deal. You literally just lift your arm off the arm rest about 10 inches and turn the lights on, then lower your arm back to the arm rest. A very low impact maneuver.

If this is too hard then you can just keep the headlights on all the time and they will shut off when you turn the vehicle off. Super low impact!

Haha, for sure. I have just become accustom to them in recent years as the majority of my vehicles have had the option. I am ok with not having them but on a 2019 MY $60K vehicle they should be standard. My other half hates them, she always turns them off in the LX.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The surf was calm and the winds low this morning so we decided to trek the entire 46 miles of beach front before lunch. I love cruising the coast line, you never know what you're going to see.

fzwU5mf.jpg

aLoHTBV.jpg

NTkdwOg.jpg

L3am7rD.jpg

YgFLzni.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I just adjusted the front coil overs yesterday and we got another 1" out of them, I am definitely much happier with the look now. The shop even got the tire moved a little further forward too which should help with further clearance in the future when moving to a bigger tire. A fresh alignment and I think it handles better at speed now as well.

piDjzzU.jpg

U0doHgt.jpg

wWXo5pA.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Our washer went tits up on me this past week so I had to make a run south to pick up a new one. I met up with @SouthTxGX on the way back to check out his new 460 and chat about mods, my build and local shops. It sounds like he's about to embark on a build with his as well, he's coming from a 4Runner, FJC and Tacoma background so he's a Toyota guy and very familiar with the brand.

Nv2S1Bi.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A buddy of mine dropped into town yesterday with his Prospector XL and we decided to take a last minute beach run which turned into an overnighter. I called up another buddy and he joined us last minute as well in his PreRunner Tacoma (which did quite well in the soft sand, until it didn't lol). This is the original #1 Prototype Prospector XL and he has it set up quite nicely, it dwarfs the GX and makes me miss having a big diesel truck lol. We ended up pulling out four different vehicles this morning (one of which was my buddy in the Tacoma, see video below) so we racked up some good Karma for the next few weeks haha.

I woke up early and watched numerous storms that split around us in the dark, it was a nice relaxing morning on the beach. The GX did great and I even had a few people stop by and ask about it and they were surprised it was a Lexus, seems to be a common theme amongst those who aren't familiar with the vehicle.

UR2lNxZ.jpg

02rsq7T.jpg

ZseDTUt.jpg

qtR4fYm.jpg

cx2PFdp.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Am I the dumbest kid in school? Help me understand what this means, please.

With an adjustable upper control arm you can use adjustment in the control arm and on the OE lower cams to maximize alignment angles and move oversized tires forward in the wheel well to minimize or avoid fender trimming.

kwill

Observer
With an adjustable upper control arm you can use adjustment in the control arm and on the OE lower cams to maximize alignment angles and move oversized tires forward in the wheel well to minimize or avoid fender trimming.
Gotcha. I just didn't realize it could be significant enough to go up a tire size.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I picked up a new old stock trailer specifically to use with the GX in mind a few weeks back. It was a left over that was never sold, the dealership used it to deliver a few lawn mowers and then it was left to sit in the sun for five years in the back lot. It was never registered or titled so much to my disbelief it is being sold as new with a full warranty from the manufacturer which I think is laughable given it's condition. It's amazing what five years of south Texas sun can do to a trailer.

I ended up getting a set of new tires seeing how the originals were six years old and a tad dry. I repacked and greased the hubs and then started stripping off the decking and lights. The lights were all there and worked, but the grommets/gaskets were cracking and I figured it could use a fresh set so I ordered all new LED lights. The decking was more than okay but I will be installing L-track for the Bike Binderz I plan to use with the dirt bikes so I wanted fresh wood. I'll be replacing the 2x6's for the decking with treated and sealed 2x12's this time. I plan to use stainless hardware to secure the decking, screw messing with those torx screws again in the future.

I spent the past few evenings stripping it all down and then I got to work with the wire wheel and sander and proceeded to knock off any surface rust and/or scaling. I hit the rougher areas with self leveling primer this morning and then proceeded to paint the entire thing with tractor/implement enamel. I think I might still be high from the fumes lol. I plan to let it sit for a few days so the paint can set up and then I'll wire in the new lights and install the new decking boards. To round it all out I'll pick up a new jack as well.

All in I will have less than 1/3 the cost of this same trailer brand new. I can't complain about the work with savings like that and I do enjoy a project. This trailer is well built and the perfect size for three bikes and with an empty weight of well under 1,000 lbs it should be very friendly in regards to power and fuel economy when behind the GX. I'll be sure to update this post with pics of the completed project here in the coming days.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

25ndU9o.jpg

ISctu3y.jpg

4mrIVzd.jpg

ITTOG

Oh man what a find. Ranch King is the best you can buy around here and probably anywhere. I have been looking fora used one for six months.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Oh man what a find. Ranch King is the best you can buy around here and probably anywhere. I have been looking fora used one for six months.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yea I have seen very few other trailers in Texas that are built to the same standard as a Ranch King. Performance by Parker, MaxxD and PJ's are a few that I'd put in the same league but none of them give you the upgrades you find on a Ranch King as standard. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, I am always shopping for trailers, we have a lot of them at the farm.

I cleaned up the wiring and replaced some of the corrugated loom to enclose all of the wiring. I then installed the small bullet style running lights on the sides and rear, I am still waiting on the side marker lights and tail lights which should be here tomorrow and then hopefully I can get around to decking it tomorrow evening. I still need to get some wire rope and ferrules to tether the linch pins for the gate to the trailer.

I threw a little nod to the dirt bike world on the trailer as well.

K8fjYoy.jpg

udPvHOF.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This is what I started with last week.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

And this is where it is now after wire wheel, sanding, primer/paint, new tires, new swivel jack, DOT-2 tape, new tethered linch pins, all new LED lights and new decking. All in for under $1000 and for all intents and purposes it's basically a new trailer.

I'll get the L-Track and Bike Binderz set up and installed in the coming weeks as I wait for the fuel jug rack and as I look for a locking box to mount somewhere. I need to put a few coats of Thompson's on the deck too, hopefully I can get that done by the weekend.

That was a fun project, now on to the next.

64eERJ4.jpg

n4atCQw.jpg

bHUVqTO.jpg

ESM7GYY.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier