Tex's 2019 GX460 build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Rear seat dual USB has been wired and we now have back seat POWAHHHHH!!! Hopefully the misses will be happy when she uses it occasionally for her carpool to work. One of her former co-workers made a comment once about how disappointed she was that Lexus didn't have charging ports in the rear seats, I totally agree with her haha. This should go over well for the back seat passengers on our way to Big Bend in a few weeks.

I ran the ground to the transmission mount.

QrkUiPm.jpg

Similar to how I powered my ARB Dual Compressor, I used a add-a-circuit fuse ran to an open spot on the fuse box under the steering column.

TYIwlHT.jpg

All connections were crimped and covered with heat shrink. There is plenty of room between the facia panel and the interior rear of the console for straight connections and excess wiring harness.

BPuseqe.jpg

It doesn't look OEM factory, but it's clean and good enough by me.

FkrtDRY.jpg

EhTmadi.jpg

fQluAHg.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My 33 gallon LRA auxiliary fuel tank shipped out today. Hopefully I can get it installed in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to having 56 gallons of fuel onboard and a range of 800-900 miles on a single tank. This will be a game changer for multi-day trips in the bush and cross country travel in the more remote areas of the country. I am not sure, but I think this might end up being the first one installed on a GX460 in the country!?

Dalko43

Explorer
My 33 gallon LRA auxiliary fuel tank shipped out today. Hopefully I can get it installed in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to having 56 gallons of fuel onboard and a range of 800-900 miles on a single tank. This will be a game changer for multi-day trips in the bush and cross country travel in the more remote areas of the country. I am not sure, but I think this might end up being the first one installed on a GX460 in the country!?

I have a lot of interest in those LRA tanks. They seem to be the only gasoline options (other than the OEM ones which are hard to get hold of).

My only questions/concerns:
- What are your thoughts on crash scenarios (specifically rear-ending)? I recall Jeep and some other brands having lawsuits related to rear (behind the axle) factory tanks igniting upon impact in crashes.

- Is there any requirement to change out the fuel filter? I recall reading somewhere that a certain aftermarket metal tank required fuel filter changes every so often due to the tank's material.

Also, I'm sub'd to this thread...told myself a GX460 wouldn't work for my situation, but the more I read about these GX's, the more I want one. Heated seats and AWD, plus rear seat removal would make an awesome DD and part-time exploration rig.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have a lot of interest in those LRA tanks. They seem to be the only gasoline options (other than the OEM ones which are hard to get hold of).

My only questions/concerns:
- What are your thoughts on crash scenarios (specifically rear-ending)? I recall Jeep and some other brands having lawsuits related to rear (behind the axle) factory tanks igniting upon impact in crashes.

- Is there any requirement to change out the fuel filter? I recall reading somewhere that a certain aftermarket metal tank required fuel filter changes every so often due to the tank's material.

Also, I'm sub'd to this thread...told myself a GX460 wouldn't work for my situation, but the more I read about these GX's, the more I want one. Heated seats and AWD, plus rear seat removal would make an awesome DD and part-time exploration rig.

-I am not too concerned about the location of the tank. There have been no reports of an issue even though it is an extremely small sample size.

-From what I understand there is no need to mess with the fuel filter or factory sending unit. The aux tank comes with its own sending unit that simply feeds the factory tank. The LRA aux tank is made from T125C Aluminized Steel, I have no idea whether or not this dip process leads to coating degradation that can contaminate a fuel filter faster than normal. Given its properties and all of the industrial applications it is used in I don't foresee that being an issue. Think of it as a modern age galvanization process.

I hear you, I was right there with you. Once I knew I was growing weary of the 5th Gen I started looking for something similar but better and obviously the 460 was the best option. I had one way back in 2011 with my ex and I was never quite fond of it but I also never drove it much either. I am still not a fan of the rear door but I have gotten over it and so far it hasn't been as much of an issue as originally anticipated. The styling was always one of my biggest complaints and it still is, it isn't rugged or elegant, it's kinda awkward looking honestly. Luckily a lift, larger tires, wider wheels, bumpers, sliders, and a roof rack alter the look enough for it to be an acceptable looking rig in the end.

It rides smoother, has better creature comforts, gets better fuel economy and has a much better engine/transmission combo as well. The headlights are infinitely better and and rear seat(s) accommodations and comforts are much better than in the 4Runner. I'll make this one my own and I hope to finally be in love with its look in the end, after all, it's already a better vehicle in almost every other way.

Dalko43

Explorer
-I am not too concerned about the location of the tank. There have been no reports of an issue even though it is an extremely small sample size.

-From what I understand there is no need to mess with the fuel filter or factory sending unit. The aux tank comes with its own sending unit that simply feeds the factory tank. The LRA aux tank is made from T125C Aluminized Steel, I have no idea whether or not this dip process leads to coating degradation that can contaminate a fuel filter faster than normal. Given its properties and all of the industrial applications it is used in I don't foresee that being an issue. Think of it as a modern age galvanization process.

I hear you, I was right there with you. Once I knew I was growing weary of the 5th Gen I started looking for something similar but better and obviously the 460 was the best option. I had one way back in 2011 with my ex and I was never quite fond of it but I also never drove it much either. I am still not a fan of the rear door but I have gotten over it and so far it hasn't been as much of an issue as originally anticipated. The styling was always one of my biggest complaints and it still is, it isn't rugged or elegant, it's kinda awkward looking honestly. Luckily a lift, larger tires, wider wheels, bumpers, sliders, and a roof rack alter the look enough for it to be an acceptable looking rig in the end.

It rides smoother, has better creature comforts, gets better fuel economy and has a much better engine/transmission combo as well. The headlights are infinitely better and and rear seat(s) accommodations and comforts are much better than in the 4Runner. I'll make this one my own and I hope to finally be in love with its look in the end, after all, it's already a better vehicle in almost every other way.

I'll wait to see how the install goes...the fire risk is more of a hypothetical risk rather than a real one in my opinion, especially if you plan on installing a rear metal bumper to carry the spare tire. I know gasoline is more readily combustible versus diesel, so it is an issue for consideration, but how much of an issue....until NHTSA or OEM's do some more crash testing, who knows.

Glad to hear about the integrated sending unit. I think coating the outside of that tank in some sort of lining would still be a good insurance policy, at least for us northerners. Everything, and I mean everything, that is metal will start to rust in this climate given enough time. For as flimsy as the OEM plastic tanks are, that's one issue you just don't have to worry about. But I hear good things about LRA, so I'm eager to see how the install and usage goes.

GX 460 is quickly on my horizon...rear swing out door and all. 4runner is a great vehicle, especially offroad with its locker and ATRAC...on long drives, the 5 speed and 4.0l v6, while not bothersome, don't exactly provide a refined driving experience. Most of what I do are long highway drives or commutes...AWD and more comfortable seats are much higher on my priority list.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'll wait to see how the install goes...the fire risk is more of a hypothetical risk rather than a real one in my opinion, especially if you plan on installing a rear metal bumper to carry the spare tire. I know gasoline is more readily combustible versus diesel, so it is an issue for consideration, but how much of an issue....until NHTSA or OEM's do some more crash testing, who knows.

Glad to hear about the integrated sending unit. I think coating the outside of that tank in some sort of lining would still be a good insurance policy, at least for us northerners. Everything, and I mean everything, that is metal will start to rust in this climate given enough time. For as flimsy as the OEM plastic tanks are, that's one issue you just don't have to worry about. But I hear good things about LRA, so I'm eager to see how the install and usage goes.

GX 460 is quickly on my horizon...rear swing out door and all. 4runner is a great vehicle, especially offroad with its locker and ATRAC...on long drives, the 5 speed and 4.0l v6, while not bothersome, don't exactly provide a refined driving experience. Most of what I do are long highway drives or commutes...AWD and more comfortable seats are much higher on my priority list.

Yes, I will have a heavy steel bumper out back so that should help. The tank has a secondary coating/paint. I haven't heard of any corrosion issues or failures on their other aux and replacement tanks in the past few years so it isn't much of a concern. Northern salted road guys are always in a different group here, but the aluminized steel dip process is quite robust itself.

Install is sort of involved and I'll be leaving that up to my local shop who have installed multiples of these on 60 series and 200 series prior. LRA apparently offers an upgraded sending unit for the tank that is not only faster but quieter than the one it comes with. I'll see how the stock unit runs for a few months and if I find it noisy or too slow I'll likely change that out.

At first I thought I'd miss the manual t-case shifter and rear locker in the 5th Gen most of all, but in all honesty I've quickly grown accustom to the full-time 4WD with center locker. If over our travels in the next few years I see the need for more than what the stock drivetrain can offer along with MTS and Crawl Control, then I'll look into adding a rear locker. After all, I get better fuel economy both on the highway and in town with the GX on larger tires and wider wheels than I ever did in the 4Runner thanks to the V8 and 6-speed.

It's funny how after all of these vehicles I have owned over the years and how my interests and travel needs/desires have changed and grown, I ultimately find myself the most content in a vehicle that not only have I already previously owned but one that in stock form I find lack luster and unappealing. It just goes to show you that when you can be honest with your needs, your desires and image don't really matter as much. As I've quickly transitioned back into exploring mostly on two-wheels I've found that having this largely over-built vehicle with every possible protection and upgrade that quickly eats away at your fuel economy, reliability, and drivability is no longer a necessity. I need my vehicle to get me to those places I want to explore more in-depth on the bike in comfort while also offering the ability to explore the majority of it if and when I need/want to. The GX provides me all of that at a better size and overall investment than the majority of the vehicles I have built and owned in the past 5-6 years.

I am not saying that the GX is the end-all answer here, there will definitely be other vehicles in my future, some sooner than others, but for now it is a great solution to my current needs. And even though making this statement doesn't carry much clout due to my history and reputation of keeping vehicles around lol, I can honestly say that the GX will be around for 4-5 years minimum or at least for 100K miles or more.

Dalko43

Explorer
Have you settled on a bumper option yet?

Only foreseeable gripe I might have with the GX460 would be its approach and departure angles (or lack thereof).

I like the minimalist style of the CBI option, but does it really remove any of the OEM bumper and improve the approach angle?

The other options (ironman, metaltech) seem to offer much better approach angles, but at the cost of more material/weight and more aerodynamic drag.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Have you settled on a bumper option yet?

Only foreseeable gripe I might have with the GX460 would be its approach and departure angles (or lack thereof).

I like the minimalist style of the CBI option, but does it really remove any of the OEM bumper and improve the approach angle?

The other options (ironman, metaltech) seem to offer much better approach angles, but at the cost of more material/weight and more aerodynamic drag.

Looks like it's going to be the ARB Prado bumper up front and possibly the Kaymar out back if I don't wait and see some of the new options set to come out later this year.

Yes, there is a lot of low hanging plastic on these trucks, it's annoying but easily rectified with bumpers and/or trimming.

Metaltech is ugly and their metal is very thin imho. The CBI doesn't improve the clearance or approach angle much if any and it doesn't offer any extra protection. I was on the pre-sale list and I passed. It looks good and it's minimalist which helps keep the truck from screaming "off-road" but it doesn't offer anything that I was looking for in the way of added protection from animal strikes.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This was my load for Big Bend, trailer (12'x6'7" with folding gate) is roughly 1,300lbs, three bikes at roughly 950lbs. Another 150lbs in gear/fuel/chocks on the trailer and three grown men plus all of our riding gear and bags for five days (lets call that another 750lbs) for a total of just over 3,000lbs. The truck is lifted 2.5-3" on 285/70's with stock gearing, traveling on relatively flat terrain under 1000ft ASL at 70mph we were getting 10-11mpg, I thought that was just ok but pretty much as to be expected. As we reached west Texas and started climbing in altitude over and through the mountains and passes we dropped significantly to an average of 8-9mpg and we saw as low as 7.8mpg average on one tank coming back.

I am glad that I am adding the LRA 33gal aux fuel tank (it would have already been installed if not for this current state of affairs) and it would have helped quite a bit on this trip to lessen the fuel stops and keep the higher dollar west Texas fuel prices to a minimum. That said, I don't foresee myself doing any long distance hauling with it in the future after these results, those numbers are pretty bad IMHO. Granted these trips aren't the norm and when using the currently cheap 87 RUG you can absorb the bad mileage, but when covering 1,400 miles it certainly has an impact. My around town average is 15-15.5mpg and on the highway I usually see 16-17.5mpg, so getting 60% less on one tank on the way home was eye opening. I've towed a ton over the years with 3/4-ton and 1-ton diesels so I am aware of what to expect, but for some reason I had higher hopes considering that this load was only half of what the truck is rated for.

With all of that said, I have to admit that I was impressed with how effortlessly the GX towed this load. There was no swaying, hopping, pushing, or skittering and at times I forgot the load was even back there. It was noticeable when climbing some of the 10+ degree grades but that is to be expected. The GX is a night and day improvement over the 5th Gen in this category and for that I am grateful. One perk was that we were all much more comfortable in the GX on this trip when compared to my buddies RAM 2500 diesel 4x4 we usually travel in. The quieter cabin certainly helped on the stress levels and allowed for us to more easily carry on conversations while traveling, every single one of us mentioned this along the way.

I am sure that we could have improved those fuel economy numbers had we slowed down to 60-65mph but on the interstate (where you get run over doing anything less than the speed limit of 75mph) and when covering 9-9.5 hours one direction it simply wasn't an option given our time frame. And quite honestly, the 1-2mpg improvement we might have seen by slowing down simply wouldn't be worth the time added to the trip. Overall, it wasn't a bad trip with this load, just crappier fuel economy than expected, I will be installing the RedArc electronic brake controller in the future should we do anymore trips towing with it.

z2kx8IK.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum

Vin claims it's from someone pushing the center cap in by pressing on the decal, seems like a pretty pathetic design if it can't hold up to that. The wheels were brand new and installed only once less than two months ago by Discount so odds are that's when it happened. I figured he'd replace it for me but I was offered to purchase another one. Not the response I was expecting from a small business owner but whatever.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Slider prep this afternoon. I was liberal with my cuts and left more than enough plastic on the ends so that I could trim the rocker panels to the exact length I need once I hang the sliders which will hopefully be this weekend. I used a box blade to make the cuts, it requires more pressure and a steady hand but it leaves a much cleaner cut. Now I need to figure out where to mount my LED puddle lights.

HQDpeYS.jpg

usxmyrl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior