Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Went to look at a TRD OffRoad/Trail for the misses, she was tired of driving my F-250 and wanted something easier to drive/park and get in/out of. Our older dogs must be picked up to get into either of our trucks and at nearly 100lbs a piece that task gets old especially when they fight it. I told the salesman I would likely put the TRD Pro grill on it to make it look like a Pro for her (since we couldn't find a new one for sale within 300 miles that wasn't Cavalry Blue or $5-10K over sticker) and he casually mentions that they have a Pro model. Apparently the guy who ordered it some four months earlier couldn't get his financing together when it arrived and they were just sitting on it in the back lot without showing/advertising it in their inventory. We took her for a spin, agreed on a price slightly below sticker and took her home. Ultimately the misses wants a Land Cruiser, but with the redesign due to hit in the next year or two and my recent change in careers I couldn't justify biting off an $80K car note at the moment.

My other half said I couldn't lift this one, but that went in one ear and out the other, it's getting a 2.5" lift in the near future (BP-51 or King's) lol. For now I am going to get a set of Hefty Fab sliders ordered along with a LFD Offroad 7/8 rack. I am not sure how mild or wild this build will end up seeing how we have the Power Wagon build already on a roll, but it'll be a nicely optioned Pro when I am done.

Obligatory pics dealership pic. I'll post more this coming week when I get time to clean it up and snap a few.

6iRkpCg.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We have two large Dobermans and they like to go with us most places. The 4Runner is a much easier vehicle for them to load into and gives them plenty of space to hang out versus the back seat of the pickup. I picked up a Bulldogology pet mat to keep the drool, hair, and nail damage to a minimum. I also scored some new Husky Weatherbeater mats for the front and rear seats for cheap on fleabay as well.

MzR0hzL.jpg

mNrKgZE.jpg

BAf5CH2.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Did you get rid of the F250?

Sadly yes we did, it didn't make sense to keep it. With the difference I can pay off some medical bills and put the rest towards other gear for the PW and for other hobbies and interests. The nice thing is that they are very easy to come by so should I need another diesel in the future I can easily build one. The Alumiduty update due next year should include a 10 speed tranny and few other improvements.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Too bad, that was an awesome truck.

From good source, no 10 speed in the SD's for another gen.

Agreed, but it was nearly out of warranty and I am no longer towing the big boat now that it is in a slip so a diesel wasn't really necessary. That was my third Super Duty so I am sure that there will be another one day.

I'll be honest, even though this 4Runner platform is getting a little long in the tooth, I am really enjoying it from a simplicity standpoint. Everything on these trucks is solid and well sorted at this point and the aftermarket is immense. It's nice to be able to whip around town and park with ease lol.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Just curious. Why buy the pro just to ditch the stock suspension? This is seems to be a common thing to do and I don't get spending the money on suspension twice....

For my other half it was simply from an aesthetics standpoint, she loves the non-functioning hood scoop and the legacy grill. I pushed for a $5K cheaper TRD Off-Road/Trail and an extra $550 for the grill appliqué but she wouldn't budge, she wanted a Pro. The only reason I got on board is the only reason why I can support buying one, resale. They often sell a few years old for full sticker, even higher depending on regional demand and color. Lots of people start out thinking they'll never lift one only to find out later on that they want more clearance and larger tires. I see no issue with someone buying a Pro model only to ditch the factory suspension, after all, that's what happens on all vehicles we modify.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
For my other half it was simply from an aesthetics standpoint, she loves the non-functioning hood scoop and the legacy grill. I pushed for a $5K cheaper TRD Off-Road/Trail and an extra $550 for the grill appliqué but she wouldn't budge, she wanted a Pro. The only reason I got on board is the only reason why I can support buying one, resale. They often sell a few years old for full sticker, even higher depending on regional demand and color. Lots of people start out thinking they'll never lift one only to find out later on that they want more clearance and larger tires. I see no issue with someone buying a Pro model only to ditch the factory suspension, after all, that's what happens on all vehicles we modify.

Thanks. Expensive grill and scoop haha! Glad you're enjoying it. Really awesome rigs.

Dalko43

Explorer
I'll be honest, even though this 4Runner platform is getting a little long in the tooth, I am really enjoying it from a simplicity standpoint. Everything on these trucks is solid and well sorted at this point and the aftermarket is immense. It's nice to be able to whip around town and park with ease lol.

The best thing about the 4runner: its a simple refinement of an old, but proven, design. In terms of powertrain and chassis, its very similar to the 4th gen 4runner. It's one of those vehicles that you have complete faith in when you start it up in a remote area.

The worst thing about the 4runner: its a simple refinement of an old, but proven, design. To some degree, I think Toyota is just plain lazy and refuses to update platforms until they absolutely have to. At the very least, the 4runner needs a 6 gear transmission. Turbogasoline or turbodiesel engine options would be nice too. The 1GR-FE is a supremely reliable engine, but its a bit of a dog (especially when loaded) and 21 mpg is about the best you can expect from it in realistic driving (it will tank to 15-16mpg on the lower end of the spectrum).

I find myself absolutely adoring the 4runner, and yet I have no problem criticizing the areas that I think need improvement....I suppose that's indicative of how emotionally invested I am in the vehicle, and the brand to some degree.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The best thing about the 4runner: its a simple refinement of an old, but proven, design. In terms of powertrain and chassis, its very similar to the 4th gen 4runner. It's one of those vehicles that you have complete faith in when you start it up in a remote area.

The worst thing about the 4runner: its a simple refinement of an old, but proven, design. To some degree, I think Toyota is just plain lazy and refuses to update platforms until they absolutely have to. At the very least, the 4runner needs a 6 gear transmission. Turbogasoline or turbodiesel engine options would be nice too. The 1GR-FE is a supremely reliable engine, but its a bit of a dog (especially when loaded) and 21 mpg is about the best you can expect from it in realistic driving (it will tank to 15-16mpg on the lower end of the spectrum).

I find myself absolutely adoring the 4runner, and yet I have no problem criticizing the areas that I think need improvement....I suppose that's indicative of how emotionally invested I am in the vehicle, and the brand to some degree.

I don't disagree with any of what you said, because you are absolutely right. The platform is old, tired, and simply played out, yet it continues to sell in record numbers. The exact things that make it boring and predictable are the same things that make it reliable, vetted, dependable, and so highly trusted and sought after. It's a double edged sword unto itself lol.

The lack of modern technology and updates at it's price point is annoying and a tad insulting to the consumer, yet the lack of those more complex and expensive options is exactly what makes it so appealing and trustworthy and probably what helps to keep the resale so high from one year to the next. It's hard to date/make obsolete a vehicle within its line that rarely receives updates in 5-12 years. I have no beef with the motor, but I do agree that it would do wonders for the power and efficiency if they added a gear or two to the transmission.

At the end of the day I know that I can rely on this vehicle for many decades to come and in the same breath I know that we can enjoy it for a few years and turn around and sell it for practically what we paid for it. Either way, it's a solid platform and a safe bet financially. The end result is that my other half is happy and after all that she/we have been through as of late and still continue to face, I can't ask for much more than something this simple to brighten her day and put a smile on her face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles