Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

chasespeed

Explorer
Picked up my '18 Taco a month ago(a little more than that I guess?)....

Has the new engine, and 6spd.

I'm learning to live with it.

Toyota has a little way to go before adding the 6spd to the 4R.

On that note, I've been trying to get her to warm up to a TRD OR 4R.... but, getting her out of the Charger is proving to be next to impossible, and I'm not giving up my Taco....

Life the ride man. Enjoy it.

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Here's a little drive way pic during lunch break. No exterior or performance mods yet, too much life going on at the moment, but I'll get around to it eventually. I removed and sold the awful factory nerf bars/side steps, they were more in the way than of any real help/use getting in and out.
I'm most likely going to put some Hefty Fab sliders on in the future more so to protect the underside of the rocker panel from damage than anything. I'll likely have the roof rack bars powder coated black for the time being, the silver stands out like a sore thumb when literally everything else on the truck is blacked out. It'll be getting a full length rack in the future, I still have to decide which one to go with, I am not too keen on drilling holes for the majority of the better options out there.

79ayZ2q.jpg

lhy0NST.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Not much has changed in the past few weeks but I did pick up a few add ons. For starters we got a nail in the sidewall that was unrepairable so instead of tracking down a OEM Nitto replacement I went ahead and jumped up to 275's in a BFG KO2. The misses loves the more aggressive look and I appreciate the more durable tire, the weight penalty however zapped a solid 1mpg on the fuel economy, a small price to pay IMHO.

63lG4wU.jpg

Nmkjboi.jpg

I had the silver roof rack rails powder coated in a textured black to match the cross bars. I'll likely have the entire thing replaced with an aftermarket roof rack in the coming months (Prinsu/FrontRunner/LFD Offroad), but it made for an aesthetic improvement for the time being. I also ordered the OEM blackout badge overlays so that I could get rid of the little bit of chrome on the rear hatch of the truck. A majorly overpriced kit no doubt, but it is now fully blacked out and I am much happier with the look lol.

1zPPGfT.jpg

nIvY4Ub.jpg

wKYPrSL.jpg

I have a Baja Designs fog pocket kit coming next week with white driving combo Squadron R's to replace the factory fogs as well as a Cornfed/Burtman 1.5/1" lift which amounts to a 2-2.5" lift (when combined with the 1" taller Pro Bilstein's) over a standard SR5. The extra height/room wasn't needed for the 275's, but I wanted to eliminate the front rake and gaining a little more clearance will certainly help off-road as well as give it a slightly more aggressive stance. I plan to replace the factory suspension with TC UCA's and a ARB/OME BP-51's next spring/summer so this kit will suffice until then. Hopefully I can find some time in the coming weeks to get it in and have that put on.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Had the Cornfed 1.5/1" installed, love how it turned out. It took all of 42 minutes from start to finish, guys knocked it out like it was nothing. The misses likes that it doesn't scream modded 4Runner yet you can still tell that it's not stock. Tires are 275 KO2's on the stock Pro wheels. This still drives and rides nicely and it even eliminated some of the brake dive. It will do until I can swing a set of BP-51's for it in the spring.

Yw8inxS.jpg

fGs6PKh.jpg

bEThzSa.jpg

19H2VGD.jpg

7CpGQji.jpg

uGyZnPB.jpg

of9gpkD.jpg

IcTuN29.jpg

Baja Designs Squadron Sport R in Driving Combo pattern lens for the fog pockets, just waiting on the install kit to show up in order to install them.

3Kbj4Z7.jpg

Prinsu Design full rack waiting to get bolted up as well. I need to fab up some Maxtrax mounting brackets in order to run them the width of the vehicle when I get to feeling better.

iri5WJQ.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Baja Designs Squadron Sports in the fog pocket kit mounts, such a worthy upgrade that doesn't take away from the factory look yet greatly improves lighting performance.

KgTJzQX.jpg

Factory fogs

AA4e27w.jpg

Squadrons Sports in Driving Combo pattern lens

Df5qvjX.jpg

Low beams only

KUIAVgv.jpg

o4wFxSf.jpg

Low beams and Squadrons

aw00MTT.jpg

UGXyehh.jpg

t4KgMr5.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
k2JSfQD.jpg

I finally got around to putting the Prinsu full length rack on. I am still waiting on the rear 1" cross bar to come from Prinsu/CBI, apparently 2017+ models have a different fin antenna and it interferes with the rear most standard 2" crossbar. I opted to forgo drilling for the front feet and instead used rubber feet that sit in the ridge. I borrowed the heat shrink on the spacers idea from someone else but I love it.

XckoUe6.jpg

Tf5rdit.jpg

2mA7FIQ.jpg

I made some homemade Maxtrax pins and then cross drilled the pins for use with TSA luggage locks in hopes of possibly stopping the quick grab thief. I need to order the universal mount for the 4-gal Rotopax fuel can and pick up a Baja Designs S8 40" light bar for the rack. I plan to scallop the edges of the t-tracks on the crossbars for easy access with the carriage bolts in order to mount items to the roof on the go. Having to remove the crossbar from the side rail each and every time I want to add or remove mounting hardware is ridiculous and it should have come done this way from the manufacturer.

pqBPx1r.jpg

oR4gROh.jpg

LT7LNCb.jpg

fTAcIvt.jpg

I also added the Tufskinz skid plate overlay for the TRD front skid plate. What a nice product, pricey, but definitely worth it.

fOabPuJ.jpg

Brouche

I've been torn between th a Prinsu and the Gobi full length racks. Nice solution around the drilling for the front feet. Looks great

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've been torn between th a Prinsu and the Gobi full length racks. Nice solution around the drilling for the front feet. Looks great

Thanks! There are a few who have done it with this rack and the Frontrunner, I just slightly modified their ideas, so far I am happy. I too loved the Gobi as I had one on my FJC, but they are heavier, louder (more wind noise) and they have less mounting options and compatibility not to mention even more money and a much longer delivery time. IMHO the Prinsu and Frontrunner are the best options currently on the market. I would put Gobi and LFD Off-Road closely behind.

How she sits after recent mods.

k2JSfQD.jpg

Cabinetman

I am really digging your build. It is clean and well thought out.

I keep talking myself in and out of a 4Runner. I have driven full-size trucks for a long time and find myself interested in something smaller that will still get me to hunting camps and around ranches. However, I'm spoiled by the tech and power of my gen 2 Raptor. When I see builds like this I think maybe I could make it work.

On an unrelated note, I like the AI sticker in the background of one of your pictures. I'm actually expecting delivery any day now of a Lucas bore guide for my AX short action so I can go break in the rifle.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am really digging your build. It is clean and well thought out.

I keep talking myself in and out of a 4Runner. I have driven full-size trucks for a long time and find myself interested in something smaller that will still get me to hunting camps and around ranches. However, I'm spoiled by the tech and power of my gen 2 Raptor. When I see builds like this I think maybe I could make it work.

On an unrelated note, I like the AI sticker in the background of one of your pictures. I'm actually expecting delivery any day now of a Lucas bore guide for my AX short action so I can go break in the rifle.

Thanks! I am doing my best to mod it in an attempt to make it more capable while not taking too much away from its factory form and function while at the same time putting our own little touch on it so that it doesn't look like a standard Pro. Momma doesn't care too much for highly modded or tall vehicles anyway so keeping the build mild helps keep momma happy and we all know that's worth a lot more in the long run lol.

I have had a Gen 1 Raptor and three Super Duty F-250's as well as my current 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon so I can relate on the size/power/tech of full-size trucks. I enjoy driving my trucks and I doubt I could ever go without having one in my fleet, but I'll admit that for around town I much prefer driving the 4Runner. It doesn't have quite the ground clearance or power of the trucks, but it is lighter and just as capable off-road, especially in a ranch/hunt camp 4x4 scenario.

Good eye picking up on the AI sticker. I've had a few AX's and I am currently awaiting a new one in Sage Green. There are customs that might shoot slightly smaller groups and there are options that are lighter, but there's nothing as robust, durable, consistently accurate or as reliable as the AI AX. I've had full customs as well as a few from Barrett and DTA and AI is still my preferred choice. Buddies have complained about the weight, I say hit the gym. I have a bit of a gun problem and I only have an eye/taste for the better stuff, I am sure my other half wishes that I would eliminate one of my expensive hobbies lol. Here's a pic of the most accurate AI I've ever owned, chambered in 6.5CM and it would consistently shoot .28-.33moa 5-round groups at 100m. It was a pre-2014 AX, I sold it off to get into the 2014+ chassis but I miss that gun.

EVG3pOa.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Two black vehicles, and both shiny. You must really, really enjoy detailing! I had a black sedan years ago, and couldn't keep it clean looking for the life of me. Never again!

Between your PW and the T4R I count four sets of Baja Design Squadron lights. I have a single set of the Sports WC myself - awesome lighting. You must be BD's favourite customer!

Lol, I don't enjoy washing vehicles but it is something that I obsess over to some degree. I waste a lot of time washing and cleaning and waxing lol. I always say that my next vehicle will be any color but black, but I somehow always end up with another black vehicle lol. We never target the color specifically but we somehow fall into them on a good deal. There is no prettier color when it's clean, but in Texas it's a struggle to keep them that way.

I have a S8 40" light bar coming for the roof of the 4Runner, a set XL80's as well that haven't made it onto anything yet and I plan to get a few sets of flush mount S2's for rear of both vehicles. I'd like to mount some small lights on the side of the roof rack as well but I haven't tackled that project yet. I do my best to buy them right, but BD pricing makes Rigid products look like a bargain lol. There is no comparison IMHO, BD is the way to go and definitely worth the extra money.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Great truck! We love the 4Runners so much, we have two of them! I am liking your clean build thus far.
Questions for you about the Bullydogology mat. I have been looking for something like this as well and the one you have looks to fit better than most I have found.
1) How do you like it thus far? We have two full size German Shepherds and they beat up everything they touch.
2) What size/model did you purchase? On the website they just seem to come in large and x-large.

Thanks!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Great truck! We love the 4Runners so much, we have two of them! I am liking your clean build thus far.
Questions for you about the Bullydogology mat. I have been looking for something like this as well and the one you have looks to fit better than most I have found.
1) How do you like it thus far? We have two full size German Shepherds and they beat up everything they touch.
2) What size/model did you purchase? On the website they just seem to come in large and x-large.

Thanks!

Thanks, I am trying to keep it simple......for now!

I ordered this one because it appeared to be as nice as all of the more expensive options on amazon and for a lot less money. I contacted them directly and they gave me a 20% off coupon to use direct on their website as well. I ordered the Large which is a 55x82, it fits well in the 4Runner. My only complaint and it's a small one, is that I wish that the bumper cover was a tad longer. It still covers the bumper but I wish that it hung over a few inches just incase the dogs catch it with their feet.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Thanks, I am trying to keep it simple......for now!

I ordered this one because it appeared to be as nice as all of the more expensive options on amazon and for a lot less money. I contacted them directly and they gave me a 20% off coupon to use direct on their website as well. I ordered the Large which is a 55x82, it fits well in the 4Runner. My only complaint and it's a small one, is that I wish that the bumper cover was a tad longer. It still covers the bumper but I wish that it hung over a few inches just incase the dogs catch it with their feet.

Awesome! I have an ARB fridge mounted on the passenger side of the cargo area. I would plan to trim the mat to fit around the fridge and sow back up with an edge. Given the material and construction, do you think this would be possible and workable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles