Texas to Rte 66, Death Valley NP, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe, Loneliest Road in America, Glacier NP, Canada, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP

GelJdGc.jpg

9GaIjHl.jpg

6tLLzNK.jpg

tLWMpZe.jpg

Aug 10: Houston to Albuquerque
Drive through the night. Stop at popular Route66 attractions along the way.
Sleep in Albuquerque, NM

Aug 11: Albuquerque to Las Vegas
Stop at popular Route 66 attractions along the way.
Sleep in Las Vegas, NV for 2 nights.

Aug 12: Tour Las Vegas

Aug 13: Drive to Death Valley. Visit top attractions in Death Valley.
Sleep in Pahrump, NV for 2 nights

Aug 14: Spend the whole day visiting more of Death Valley.

Aug 15: Pahrump to Fresno, CA. Stop at attractions along the way.
Sleep in Fresno for 4 nights.

Aug 16: Explore Sequoia NP and King's Canyon NP.

Aug 17: Explore Yosemite NP.

Aug 18: Explore Yosemite, NP.

Aug 19: Drive to Carson City, NV. Stop at attractions along the way.
Try to visit Lake Tahoe at night.
Sleep in Carson City, NV for 2 nights.

Aug 20: Drive the full length around Lake Tahoe.

Aug 21: Drive on the Highway 50 (Loneliest Rd in America). Make lots of stops at many attractions along the way.
Sleep in Ely, NV

Aug 22: Drive to Grand Junction, CO. May make a detour to visit Moab, UT for an hour.
Sleep in Grand Junction, CO

Aug 23: Grand Junction to Colorado Springs, CO. Make a detour and drive for an hour to Ouray, CO.
Sleep in Colorado Springs, CO

Aug 24: Colorado Springs to Amarillo, TX. Visit Great Sand Dunes NP.
Sleep in Amarillo, TX

Aug 25: Amarillo to Houston, TX. Back Home!

Last edited:

pkripper

Aug 10: Houston to Albuquerque
Drive through the night. Stop at popular Route66 attractions along the way.
Sleep in Albuquerque, NM

Aug 11: Albuquerque to Las Vegas
Stop at popular Route 66 attractions along the way.
Sleep in Las Vegas, NV for 2 nights.

Aug 12: Tour Las Vegas

Aug 13: Drive to Death Valley. Visit top attractions in Death Valley.
Sleep in Pahrump, NV for 2 nights

Aug 14: Spend the whole day visiting more of Death Valley.

Aug 15: Pahrump to Fresno, CA. Stop at attractions along the way.
Sleep in Fresno for 4 nights.

Aug 16: Explore Sequoia NP and King's Canyon NP.

Aug 17: Explore Yosemite NP.

Aug 18: Explore Yosemite, NP.

Aug 19: Drive to Carson City, NV. Stop at attractions along the way.
Try to visit Lake Tahoe at night.
Sleep in Carson City, NV for 2 nights.

Aug 20: Drive the full length around Lake Tahoe.

Aug 21: Drive on the Highway 50 (Loneliest Rd in America). Make lots of stops at many attractions along the way.
Sleep in Ely, NV

Aug 22: Drive to Grand Junction, CO. May make a detour to visit Moab, UT for an hour.
Sleep in Grand Junction, CO

Aug 23: Grand Junction to Colorado Springs, CO. Make a detour and drive for an hour to Ouray, CO.
Sleep in Colorado Springs, CO

Aug 24: Colorado Springs to Amarillo, TX. Visit Great Sand Dunes NP.
Sleep in Amarillo, TX

Aug 25: Amarillo to Houston, TX. Back Home!
You will need to do Great Sand Dunes National Park before going to Colorado Springs. Highway 50 from Montrose to Gunnison has very limited access this summer due to construction, they only let people through 3 times a day. 70 is closed through Glenwood Canyon but should be back open by late August. I'm guessing your visiting someone in Colorado Springs as it is out of the way from GJ when headed to Texas. Looks like a great trip!!!

86scotty

Cynic
1. Looks awesome. I was just out there for a similar trip (the Vegas/DV/CA part).
2. The Yosemite to Reno portion of your trip will likely be detoured due to fires/smoke. 20 people are going to tell you this. You can find a way and it will be beautiful, just be open minded. The fire damage out there is stunning though. It hit me hard.
3. Earlier in the trip, look at Lovell Canyon Rd. between Vegas and Pahrump. It's damn hot in Vegas and Pahrump. This is in between on the mountain and is very nice, cool at night, lots of off grid camping there.
4. On Hwy. 50, which is awesome, stop at Great Basin NP. It's a rarely spoken of gem. Drive all the way to the top. If you have time hike up to some of the lakes from there. Simply amazing.
5. On your detour to Ouray before the Springs check the construction. i-70 is closed due to mudslide but you likely wouldn't be doing that section anyway. You will likely be doing hwy 50 which is also closed mostly for construction now. There is no quick way, there is always a way though. I would recommend heading on down to Silverton and running Engineer or Cinnamon Pass if your vehicle is capable. It will take more time but it's well worth it. Come out at Lake City and consider this route to the Springs. 149/50/285/24.
*This is getting long but I have an even better idea which will keep you away from construction and interstates. Drop down to Moab on 191, keep going south to La Sal junction, take 46/90/145 over to Telluride/Ouray area. Stop there and smell the roses, THEN hit Engineer or Cinnamon over to Lake City and continue as state above.
6. After Colorado Springs consider Medano Pass over to Great Sand Dunes from Westcliffe, CO.

You're going to be tired but happy after this trip.

*After typing all of this I realized you may be doing this in an Accord. Most of this route will still work except the Engineer/Cinnamon idea and Medano pass to Great Sand Dunes.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
You will need to do Great Sand Dunes National Park before going to Colorado Springs. Highway 50 from Montrose to Gunnison has very limited access this summer due to construction, they only let people through 3 times a day. 70 is closed through Glenwood Canyon but should be back open by late August. I'm guessing your visiting someone in Colorado Springs as it is out of the way from GJ when headed to Texas. Looks like a great trip!!!

Highway 50 is fully open right now. They stopped construction while I-70 remains closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
That's dang good news. I've been wondering about that. Sucks that the 50 project will be longer now though.

I just saw the big sign on 50 just out of Delta said “come visit the Hwy 50 area” or something like that. I’m sure the businesses up through there were hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITTOG

I love reading your trips. Seems like you may have skipped a year or two so excited to see this one. Good luck and I hope it fills you with unbelievable memories.

Got my America The Beautiful pass and my Route 66 Passport ready.
JUHZGIB.jpg

Got air and cabin filter changed.
nN5vZXM.jpg

Tires rotated
yCSdy1W.jpg

Just did the oil and filter change. Filled her up this morning and always nice to see when I hypermile in the City and get over 800 miles with consumption of 65.3mpg from this 12.8 gallon tank. I am always glad when I hypermile and get over 60mpg from this Hybrid. This is my first time owning a Hybrid and I am impressed at how good they are when you decide to hypermile.
ReI4KNg.jpg

gSrjO7a.jpg

The car is ready now for its long trip to the hottest place in America and to drive on the Loneliest Road in America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94