Texas to Montana and Canada (Banff and Jasper National Parks)

keylay

Adventurer
Nice trip for a Texan during the summer to beat the heat.
In Glacier NP, how are the health of the glaciers? Just watched a Nat Geo episode from 2010 that said they'd be gone by 2020. I could have sworn i read somewhere that they aren't dwindling as quick any more.

Also, 39*F rafting trip is COLD :)

TexasIsHome

Great trip to our backyard. We live in Canmore
Canmore was nice, were you out and about for the Canada Day parade?

epic trip, brings back memories for us seniors. Glacier National Park is a favorite spot for me.
Glacier was our favorite for hiking, but we didn't do quite as much on the Canada side.

Nice trip for a Texan during the summer to beat the heat.
In Glacier NP, how are the health of the glaciers? Just watched a Nat Geo episode from 2010 that said they'd be gone by 2020. I could have sworn i read somewhere that they aren't dwindling as quick any more.

Also, 39*F rafting trip is COLD :)

The weather was nice and cool the whole time, until we got down to Utah and then back home. It's gotten up to 100 this week...I'm no expert, but they appeared to be doing ok.

Cdn_Medic

Great Trip report guys ! Also the Canadian Border Service Agency now knows you don't like poutine so you'll never be allowed back !! ?? JK its hyped up alot but I'm kind of in the same boat I could take it or leave it not something I'd seek out but good on ya for trying it though.

Any spots you'd recommend as must sees in Colorado/ Utah? My wife and I are doing a trip this Aug so we'd love some insight !

Glad you enjoyed Canada BC and Alberta definitely have some of the nicest views in the country.

Safe travels Chris

TexasIsHome

Great Trip report guys ! Also the Canadian Border Service Agency now knows you don't like poutine so you'll never be allowed back !! ?? JK its hyped up alot but I'm kind of in the same boat I could take it or leave it not something I'd seek out but good on ya for trying it though.

Any spots you'd recommend as must sees in Colorado/ Utah? My wife and I are doing a trip this Aug so we'd love some insight !

Glad you enjoyed Canada BC and Alberta definitely have some of the nicest views in the country.

Safe travels Chris

Poutine wasn't terrible, I just probably wouldn't order it again...I thought it was crazy that a restaurant said it was illegal to serve burgers any way other than well done.

I'm not very familiar with Utah, other than Moab, the last time I was in Moab I was 12. As far as Colorado, I love the Ouray/Telluride/Silverton, San Juan National Forest area. I generally take the Guide to Colorado Backwoods & 4-Wheel Drive Trails and the Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails if you're interested in off-roading. My wife and I got engaged at Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon, CO. It as a nice scenic hike to the top. I only recently got into camping/traveling after graduating high school and getting married, so my experience is pretty limited.

oldskewlsk8ter

Nice pics and trip report! We’re leaving east TX Friday headed to Glacier, Banff and Jasper. Did you have any trouble finding campsites in CA? From what I’ve read dispersed camping is frowned upon.

sg1

Adventurer
In Provincial or National Parks you can only camp on official campgrounds. On Crown Land (similar to BLM) dispersed camping is legal. There are lots of Forestry Service sites and other primitive campsites. Use Park finder or similar apps. Right now Banff, Jasper and Yoho NP are pretty full. We locals avoid it. Outside the NPs you have the same nature and less people. During the week there is no problem to find a good site.

oldskewlsk8ter

In Provincial or National Parks you can only camp on official campgrounds. On Crown Land (similar to BLM) dispersed camping is legal.......Right now Banff, Jasper and Yoho NP are pretty full. We locals avoid it.

Thanks. And yeah, unfortunately the only time I can take off for any type of extended trip is during the summer when the crowds are the worst. We always make it work though.

cgstclair

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing all the photos and commentary.

Wife and I spent a week in Banff NP last summer and have vowed to get back!!

TexasIsHome

Nice pics and trip report! We’re leaving east TX Friday headed to Glacier, Banff and Jasper. Did you have any trouble finding campsites in CA? From what I’ve read dispersed camping is frowned upon.

We were checking a few different apps, and I looked around online a bit before for coordinates, so we never really had an issue. Campsites in the NPs fill up pretty quickly though, and sun doesn't set until after 10:30pm.

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing all the photos and commentary.

Wife and I spent a week in Banff NP last summer and have vowed to get back!!

Thanks! As pretty as it was, I'm not sure if we'll go back any time soon. The lakes were very crowded and we try to go to different places every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles