Texas overlanding anyone?

please contact me if anyone in "fly over" region is wanting to start planning a trip

Attachments

• 20161009_26a.JPG
    20161009_26a.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Dodge1.jpg
    Dodge1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 204
  • dodge3.jpg
    dodge3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 202

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nice truck, I don't think I've ever seen one in person in that color. What are the details on your lift/wheels/tires?

We are down south of Houston on the coast, we are always looking for places to go and trips to plan. We will be hitting PINS in two weeks with a group out of Dallas and we already have Big Bend on the books for March 20-24th. Drop me a PM and let me know where you are located and what you had in mind.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Tex68w I'll be heading to Big Bend in March as well but not sure the dates yet. I have a friend in Houston that wants me to be a tour guide for him and his 2 daughters (8 and 12) while they're on Spring Break. Just waiting to hear from him but I'll likely head over early to get some primitive campsites reserved.

Scoutpappa

Big Bend in the summer??? We did it two years ago during the Christmas break. Netted temps anywhere from the high 90's to the low 30's with a little rain thrown in. The trails though...

mp_tx

Observer
Big Bend in the summer??? We did it two years ago during the Christmas break. Netted temps anywhere from the high 90's to the low 30's with a little rain thrown in. The trails though...

Texas spring break is in March. Not the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutpappa

But...We may be up for it. Best park we have ever been to. Had two days of off road before the kids declared mutiny. Probably the most beautiful, desolate place I have ever experienced.

mp_tx

Observer
Close enough in Houston.

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/weather.htm
  1. Cached
  2. Similar
Nov 1, 2018 - Automated weather station readings throughout the Big Bend area. ... The table below is based on average temperatures and ... Try to avoid mid-march (spring break) unless you have reservations for accommodations.

Link 1 shows average March temps as 75 day, 46 night. They make the spring break disclaimer not because of heat, but due to over crowded accommodations. Probably not an issue for true overlanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutpappa

You have to remember there are only so many campsites. We ran into that on our trip. Since we live in TX it's a little hard to deal with. You have to show up and reserve each site. You have to do them in order so, if something happens and you lose time on the trail it can be difficult. We dropped a camper at the Rio Grand campsite and did a few of the trails in their entirety. 30 miles equated to 8 hours on the trail for each. You are way out so beating the truck is not an option. What is nice is the camp facilities for groceries and gas in the 4 places they have. We did a decent amount of research for best times (including weather) so I'm basing my comments on what we came up with. I'm saying that if you can...go, it's gorgeous...but plan. The weather is temperamental at best and the sites are few and far between.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
We've been there 3 times just not over a "holiday" type week. The the primary reason I'll be going over early to get the sites planned out.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Spring break and Christmas, two of the busiest time of the year for BBNP, not sure wow much carries over to the State park.

Mooneywa

Did Big Bend in February... Valentine's weekend I believe. Camped in Chisos Basin and it was 20s at night and 70s in the day. Started the hike in shorts and a Patagonia Nano Puff and ended in a long sleeve performance t-shirt. The hike also started with a 2000' elevation increase, so that kept me warm even though it was probably in the 40s.

On the way out of the park there was a snowstorm and a thunderstorm that previous night. Layers and flexibility are key to enjoying the park... and not going in the summer.

David Trest

I might be joining you come next year when I finally buy a truck. Starting in my home state would be best, no expensive and long-distance tows or repairs to handle in that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles