TetonX Hybrid

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Just not enough solar for a long enough time to get to the 30% threshold for the charge controller to shut down the power. I just needed to run my generator for a couple of hours to bring it back to 100%

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just not enough solar for a long enough time to get to the 30% threshold for the charge controller to shut down the power. I just needed to run my generator for a couple of hours to bring it back to 100%
That's a problem at times ---- the shade makes a site appealing but also greatly reduces your charging capability.
I got lucky with how much sun time I got all week. My batteries never got below 12.2 volts.
But that elk had me a little nervous when he started licking my solar panels...

Vondex

Polish_20200727_213035848.jpgJust finished a 10 day trip from Omaha to the Tetons, Yelliwstone, Glacicer and then part of the First National Adenture Trail (FNAT) to Rushmore and the Bad Lands then home. We used the TetonX as our Cuckwagon of the trip. We had two other couples with us. This was our first major trip with the camper and we only have glowing thinds to say about it performance. And we really put it through some rough terrain. And yes that is the Teton in the Tetons

MechanizedRoon

View attachment 601471Just finished a 10 day trip from Omaha to the Tetons, Yelliwstone, Glacicer and then part of the First National Adenture Trail (FNAT) to Rushmore and the Bad Lands then home. We used the TetonX as our Cuckwagon of the trip. We had two other couples with us. This was our first major trip with the camper and we only have glowing thinds to say about it performance. And we really put it through some rough terrain. And yes that is the Teton in the Tetons
Good to hear. My build date is almost here and I've been wondering how these handle off road. How'd it do over rough terrain, any issues with it bouncing around? This is my biggest compliant about the trailer I have now, you have to go painfully slow on forest roads or it bounces like crazy.

Vondex

I have to say it handeled really well. We had a full port-a-jon riding inside the camper (in a plaastic tub with rubber feet) and it did not move at all when going down a heavily rutted road coming down the mountian from our cam site. To be honest i was being very careful as you can imagine. One of the othets in our group made sevetal comments on how well it did when they wefe following. I have no issues on taking on more demanding trails. What are you going to be pulling it with?

MechanizedRoon

I have to say it handeled really well. We had a full port-a-jon riding inside the camper (in a plaastic tub with rubber feet) and it did not move at all when going down a heavily rutted road coming down the mountian from our cam site. To be honest i was being very careful as you can imagine. One of the othets in our group made sevetal comments on how well it did when they wefe following. I have no issues on taking on more demanding trails. What are you going to be pulling it with?
I've got a 2018 4runner, lifted, 33's, and 4.56's. Full port-a-jon... did you guys pack a lot of Mexican food or something? ?

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
They are great trailers! I am camping in mine as we speak in western NC. Granted I’m at a campground with power but I’m here for a kayaking class so this is my hotel on wheels.

Vondex

I've got a 2018 4runner, lifted, 33's, and 4.56's. Full port-a-jon... did you guys pack a lot of Mexican food or something? ?
Ok were you watching me last night, as i read this we wete sitting in a mexican food resturant. ?

As for your tow vehicle you should not have any issues, the person we purchased ours from was running the same type of setup, the only i cannot speak to would be the gearing but i great with what you have.

I think you will be really happy with and how it performs.

Ok were you watching me last night, as i read this we wete sitting in a mexican food resturant. ?

As for your tow vehicle you should not have any issues, the person we purchased ours from was running the same type of setup, the only i cannot speak to would be the gearing but i great with what you have.

I think you will be really happy with and how it performs.
If you are ever in New England I would love to see it have been interested in these for a while

MechanizedRoon

They are great trailers! I am camping in mine as we speak in western NC. Granted I’m at a campground with power but I’m here for a kayaking class so this is my hotel on wheels.
I don’t doubt at all that they’re great trailers, I’m just curious about how well they do off road and on rough forest roads. I’ve never towed anything with Timbren suspension before, the trailer I have now has a torsion axle... let’s just say I’m not happy with the ride. Lindsay says my build will start next month and I just want to be sure this is the right move. The wife and I are going to take look a one today, luckily we have someone local that’s willing to show us theirs.

Last edited:

Wendell-R

We had the "hamper" left open and set up to enable indoor bike storage. It's worked out really well although if you want air conditioning, it won't be an option. The bikes are held down with Rocky Mounts Driveshaft through axle mounts and a track that's intended to be put in a truck bed that's been cut into two sections to offset bars to allow two bikes to nest nicely.

It lets us keep the bikes locked inside if we hike on the trip or if we stay at a hotel for a night and lowers the height of the whole rig to avoid overhead branch clearance issues.

Just got back from a 10 day trip with a mountain bike and a gravel bike although sometimes, we bring 2 mountain bikes. Here are some pics of the setup.

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

(Need better cord management for all the things that need charging)!

DSCF0241.jpgDSCF0243.jpgDSCF0242.jpg

pdf451

First of all, thanks everyone for all the information shared so far. We too are on the wait list for the hybrid...

While we are a ways down the list... I am trying to optimize our build, while maintaining cost awareness.

Do any current or future owners have recommendations or advice on how to improve the hybrid build that they are willing to share? Which options or any "secret" options that are "must have" necessities to order?

I know Lindsay and Kyle are constantly improving the design... but this group has the collective wisdom of frequent usage.

Are there any customizations recommended after pick up?

Briefly, we have 2 kids and a dog. Aren't heavily into extreme overlanding, but are seeking that remote campsite for a week or so off grid at a time.

So looking for things that help with flow for a family. Especially storage ideas inside and out? Efficiency improvements? Electrical upgrades? Kitchen upgrades? Would one lipo battery and two solar panels be enough for a week off grid?

I appreciate any advice provided.

Thanks!

Wendell-R

Regarding the battery...

Just got back yesterday from Moab. We have 3 LiPo batteries and 200 watts of solar. Based on our usage, we could definitely last through 2 days of completely cloudy weather and could probably last through 3 days. With sunny days, 1 battery will be totally fine - it's just the risk of continuous completely cloudy days (as Sunday through tomorrow, apparently, will be in Moab) that you have to worry about.

The night before we got to Moab, we were in Colorado and the temps dipped to 21º - we were down about 50 amp hours in the morning from running the furnace all night. Using the furnace draws both electrical power to run the fan as well as propane. What we learned:

1. Lower the top at night as you go to sleep - there's plenty of head room to sit up and lay in bed with the top down and it's much, much more heat efficient with the top down.
2. Set the thermostat at 60º instead of 70º - there are no numbers on the thermostat, so you'll have to experiment to see where it comes on. We have a indoor/outdoor thermometer that we use to tell what's going on (it can capture the minimum temp over a period).
3. The night in Colorado, I'd guess that we used almost half of a 20 lb tank pf propane - the furnace seemed to be on 40% of the time. I haven't refilled the tank, so I don't know how much we used in Moab although the temps never got much below 40º there.

Forgetting the outside (rock) lights on can use 10 amp-hours overnight if you aren't careful.

The fridge will generally use most of your battery power - haven't been in enough 80º days yet to have a feel for that. Keeping the interior "hatch" to the fridge compartment cracked will probably keep the heat from building up in the fridge compartment though.

More on storage shortly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94