Testing Pull-Pal Alternative: Smittybilt W.A.S.P. (Winch Anchor Support Platform)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I'm curious about removing thanchor after the vehicle has been extracted.
How difficult is it?
How deep has this thing dug itself into the ground?

Its not that bad... like Lance said the Pull Pall was about 18-20" deep, and the WASP was about 30" deep. A backwards pull and the come right out.

Wow! How did I miss this thread? I wish I could have tagged along for the testing but I just had to do what I had to do...

With that said, great work on the review! Very simply stated, verified, and some good pics to go along with it. It is always nice to see individuals looking out for the community and sharing their experiences. Thanks!
Maybe next time... this week I am playing with fire and water... the winds have been a great help this week so far! Want to come on over and play with fire?

flyingwil

Wow, the WASP dug in 30" and still didn't get the vehicle extracted?
:Wow1:

Seemed like it was more of a plowing action than an anchoring action. In the process of plowing it would build up a pile in front, as seen in the pictures.

Your right looking at the pictures its not 30", but it is just over my knees.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Since this topic has plenty of good info about ground anchors, I have to now ask:

Can a ground anchor be used safely in the snow?

We can up a hillclimb on saturday with only one winching point and it would have been nice to have a straight climb instead of winching off sideways. I was thinking at that point about whether or not a ground anchor would dig and hold while winching up.

flyingwil

Since this topic has plenty of good info about ground anchors, I have to now ask:

Can a ground anchor be used safely in the snow?

We can up a hillclimb on saturday with only one winching point and it would have been nice to have a straight climb instead of winching off sideways. I was thinking at that point about whether or not a ground anchor would dig and hold while winching up.

We used a pullpal during our Overland Training class in December in the snow, it worked surprisingly well; however, self setting would have been a bit hard with out wireless winch controls or two people to get the anchor to grab.

DSC00982.JPG

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
So I gather from Wil's comment that to use the Pull Pal by yourself, one would have to have a very long or wireless remote. Hence, one can conclude it is not such a great thing for solo trips but seems to fit only situations where a solid object (tree, rock, other rig) is not around or if one has a 50' or wireless winch remote. Or do not drive solo, NOT!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used my Pull Pal by myself a number of times with the regular Warn wired winch controller.
Just because it is "easier" wireless doesn't mean it is impossible "wired":victory:

What you have to do is put more time & care into "setting" the anchor before you apply tension. Then watch it as the pull is applied to make sure it sets.

Creativity is the name of the game....I have propped my shovel handle, my cane, a rock or whatever next to the anchor so it wouldn't tip while I walked back to the winch controller.

For me it beats digging a hole and dropping my spare tire in.

chuck45

Observer
So I gather from Wil's comment that to use the Pull Pal by yourself, one would have to have a very long or wireless remote. Hence, one can conclude it is not such a great thing for solo trips but seems to fit only situations where a solid object (tree, rock, other rig) is not around or if one has a 50' or wireless winch remote. Or do not drive solo, NOT!

No, the times I've used it there was no need to have anybody in the vicinity of the PullPal. It will dig itself in. I imagine there are times a bit of help guiding it during its initial dig in might help but I don't see it as necessary.

flyingwil

When the ground is frozen, its harder for the ground anchors to dig in. Starting a hole for the anchor would be best, and it might require some guidance as it sets. Not to say it can not be done with one person, just that it is a lot easier with two people or with a wireless winch control.

In our product test of the WASP vs. Pull-Pal, Lance set the Pull-Pal on his own, and I did the WASP on my own.

genie4x4

I had a prt - portable rescue tree (ARB winch anchor) which is what the WASP is copied from I suspect. The trick with it was to let it burrow a furrow 2-3 ft long then take it back and let it dig in again at the beginning of the furrow, this seem to build up enough ground for it to anchor.

Might be a different story with a bigger vehicle but a damn good anchor and easy to carry and store on your bull bar. Will be getting another when I build up my next vehicle.

http://www.anchorright.com.au/products/ground-anchor-prt

Only resold by ARB not an ARB product

genie4x4

I had a prt - portable rescue tree (ARB winch anchor) which is what the WASP is copied from I suspect. The trick with it was to let it burrow a furrow 2-3 ft long then take it back and let it dig in again at the beginning of the furrow, this seem to build up enough ground for it to anchor.

Might be a different story with a bigger vehicle but a damn good anchor and easy to carry and store on your bull bar. Will be getting another when I build up my next vehicle.

http://www.anchorright.com.au/products/ground-anchor-prt

Only resold by ARB not an ARB product

BTW the only real difference between PRT and WASP is that the PRT has a lip on the rear to help build the dirt up on so it doesnt just keep digging. Easy to remove even 3 feet down, if it isnt just pull it out with the vehicle.

flyingwil

Wally over on TTORA's forum found this... I think it is the copy or the maker of the W.A.S.P.
WallyP226 said:
I found this link interesting:

http://www.cnwinch.com/ground_anchor.htm

Wally

On the flip side of the coin, Sierra Expeditions is now a Pull-Pal distributor, and we should have their products available on our website shortly as we conduct testing on their other products. We obviously have already tested the Pull-Pal.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Glad to hear you are direct with Jan, I told her you guys were top notch and folks would trust their dealings with Sierra.

computeruser

Explorer
Interesting review!!

I sure would be interested to see how something like that would work in the dark, moist midwest soil instead of the sand you guys were testing it in. With the profound difference in soil composition, that little WASP might actually work as intended. Heck, I know guys around here who have seen good results using an old axle shaft pounded into the ground as an anchor, which I suspect would not be the case in the southwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94