Tesla Pick up reveal tonight at 8pm. Post your thoughts here...

Todd n Natalie

Observer
I think a lot of people would take one, I would rather have one of those that the Tesla thing... or anything else currently available in the US market.

They will never get thru the EPA and crash testing though so it is moot.
You should be able to import them now, no? 70 series trucks that is...

F350joe

Adventurer
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode with Frank Gehry.

I almost sold Frank Gehry a boat and had his old one listed. Nice guy, he literally crumpled up a piece of paper and said that’s how he designed the Disney symphony hall. We were in his office made of corrugated cardboard furniture. The cardboard and the crumpled paper looked better than the cyber truck.

Recommended books for Overlanding

National Geographic Road Atlas 2021: Adventure Edition [U...
by tional Geographic Maps
From $23.44
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
The Total Approach of Getting Unstuck Off Road: 4WD Self-...
by Robert Wohlers
From $59.95
The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-A...
by Eric Rutkow
From $13.39

Todd n Natalie

Observer
Okay, but the implication was that it must be good since a lot of people ordered one.
True. Lots of people must think they are good enough to spend they're money on.

Toyota sells a ton of Camry's and Honda a lot of Civics and they are good cars.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Just to meet early demand of the new Cyber Truck we've developed the new ATC beta "E-roll" to address those common problems you may find yourself in while "E"-exploring. Please lmk if you have any suggestions......cheers.

IMG_4916.JPG

It is fascinating to see large companies getting involved in the overland world!

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
True. Lots of people must think they are good enough to spend they're money on.
That's not what is implied. It implies the quality is good. And something that is not selling must therefore be poor quality. In the case of McD, it implies it is has great nutritional value. In the real world, it simply implies that something is better quality the more people buy it. That is why the McD example ought to be a good example where that isn't the case. In other words: There's usually an inverse proportional relationship between quality and quantity with most things.

But I see I can't explain it to someone who thinks that just because most people shop at the cheapest place or buy something because their neighbour has it, and are unable to recognise actual quality.
It's the same with people who thinks that because something is expensive it must therefore be good, where the reality is that although quality costs more, that doesn't mean that everything that expensive is good quality. There is a huge difference between the two.

Todd n Natalie

Observer
That's not what is implied. It implies the quality is good. In the case of McD, it implies it is has great nutritional value. In the real world, it simply implies that something is better quality the more people buy it. That is why the McD example ought to be a good example where that isn't the case. In other words: There's usually an inverse proportional relationship between quality and quantity with most things.

But I see I can't explain it to someone who thinks that just because most people shop at the cheapest place or buy something because their neighbour has it, and are unable to recognise actual quality.
It's the same with people who thinks that because something is expensive it must therefore be good, where the reality is that although quality costs more, that doesn't mean that everything that expensive is good quality. There is a huge difference between the two.
For sure. You need to be able to inspect an item to verify quality. Price isn't necessarily a factor.

I never meant to imply McD's is high quality or even good for you. I just like the taste of their fries, lol

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
For sure. You need to be able to inspect an item to verify quality. Price isn't necessarily a factor.

I never meant to imply McD's is high quality or even good for you. I just like the taste of their fries, lol
I do too. I use McD fries when touring (on a bicycle) to get my fix of salt.

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
Indeed, most Americans want a big SUV with a small bed for the occasional furniture of flower pot. Sometimes to two a 3-6klbs of boat or trailer. Enough room to carry kids in the back, and lots of comfort features.

Actually, the boat+ trailer is ~5500lbs and the travel trailer is ~7,000. I can comfortably fit my family in the "SUV" cab and easily maintain speed on the HW whilst towing either. Tiny 5.5 bed hauls everything that I have put in it annnnnd has a larger volume than the 6' beds that were in my 2002 Tundra or 1997 F150.

I hate to be the one to inform the Expo Portal community of this news.... But not everyone needs a 1 ton, eight foot bed, diesel powered truck...lol. Not everyone owns a farm or ranch and not everyone uses their truck for work. Not everyone needs to load pallets from the side of the bed. Not everyone needs to tow 15k, up a mountain, at 75 mph. Not everyone needs a solid axle 4x4.

Even owing 400 acres of citrus I still have no use for anything over a 1/2 ton truck with a 5.5 bed. ;-)

docwatson

Adventurer
Every kindergartner in America should be filing a lawsuit to show how Tesla stole their design.

Specs are impressive but that's like when my mom wanted me to date girls "with a great personality." Looks matter mom!

Can we talk about the "armored" windows though? Did they not test them before hand? I would say "rehearse" but I don't know that Elon knows what that means.

dreadlocks

Can we talk about the "armored" windows though? Did they not test them before hand? I would say "rehearse" but I don't know that Elon knows what that means.
Yeah I think they they did, thats why they broke.. stuff like that can only take a few hits... its the same reason why I can drop a glass pipe onto concrete once really brutally and it not break, then a few weeks later it'll roll off something and fall half an inch onto wood and turn into a million pieces.. it didnt break in testing, but it changed the structure testing it so it broke at demo.

shade

I think a lot of people would take one, I would rather have one of those that the Tesla thing... or anything else currently available in the US market.

They will never get thru the EPA and crash testing though so it is moot.
You really believe they haven't considered crash testing in the design?

Recommended books for Overlanding

The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following ...
by Paulo Coelho
From $10.47
We Will Be Free: Overlanding In Africa and Around South A...
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
Overlanding the Americas: La Lucha
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20

docwatson

Adventurer
Yeah I think they they did, thats why they broke.. stuff like that can only take a few hits... its the same reason why I can drop a glass pipe onto concrete once really brutally and it not break, then a few weeks later it'll roll off something and fall half an inch onto wood and turn into a million pieces.. it didnt break in testing, but it changed the structure testing it so it broke at demo.
I get that. It seems like when the CEO is on stage introducing a vehicle isn't the time for them to figure that out though.