Tesla Pick up reveal tonight at 8pm. Post your thoughts here...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Indeed, most Americans want a big SUV with a small bed for the occasional furniture of flower pot. Sometimes to two a 3-6klbs of boat or trailer. Enough room to carry kids in the back, and lots of comfort features. It also needs to look tough. Like the appearance of ground clearance with body lifts, aggressive big grills. and 20" wheels with 33+ tires. A tiny bed with big wheel well intrusions, and high deck isn't a consideration.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Or seen one before....
From the looks of it, it seems he haven't seen a car even. Or are the least aware of crumble zones and why they are important, or why sharp protuding edges at the front aren't even legal most places in the world for a very good reason.

My GF thought it looked like a Delorean.

He recently posted a video from ncap where they measured side-impact. He proclaimed it was safer than a Volvo XC60 (or 90?) because it deformed less, not realising it would then be the body of the occupants who would absorb the impact.
Now he goes at this new car with a sledge hammer to show how strong it is, seemingly doubling down on his race back to the death traps of the 1940-1960s.

He is outright insane. He has no insight whatsoever into anything at all. If he hadn't got lucky with paypal or whatever he would be in middle management somewhere living out his power dreams to quell his sociopathy.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Tesla are certainly throwing down the gauntlet in terms of specs and pricing.

The base model is $20,000 less than Rivian's base model.

The high end Tesla (with a 500+ mile range and 0-60 in 2.9s) is the same price as the base Rivian.
The High end Tesla has more than 100 miles more range than the high end Rivian.

It has about 14 inches of suspension travel (according to Motor Trend) and around 8 inches of adjustable height. Utterly flat underbelly, software controlled lockers etc. etc.
35x12.5s from the factory.
It might actually be the most capable production off-road vehicle ever made.

Obviously the design is utter love or hate.

Elon on Twitter this morning is saying the camping option will be for sale, and it will have a solar panel that adds 15miles of range a day, maybe more.
They *might* do a foldable solar thing that could add 40 miles of range a day.

The Electric ATV will be an option with Cybertruck.

One thing is absolutely certain, we're not bored!

-Dan

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I agree, the tech and suspension specs are the exciting part. The design is not for me. But given how much design flexibility the electric drivetrain allows for the body, I can see a gen 2 being something more mild.

As much as people like to hate on Tesla, they appear to have a good idea how to get S##T made.

I am really looking forward to the first video of one being used as a "boat" at a deep crossing. No engine to hydrolock, sealed battery compartment for flotation....

dreadlocks

I think its shape has alot to do w/the material choices, working thick stainless steel into fancy curved body parts is not an easy ask.. The bed sides and the triangle shape is a cantilever design for the unibody to carry the load... dont know how much the'll tweak its shape before production, alot of these design elements have actual purpose and function.

Specs certainly are impressive, I think it'll be far more capable than most think..

I completely understand the hate and crap talking on it, its well deserved.. but since they announced it they been getting ~10k reservations an hour so hate on it all you want, but people are gonna buy this..

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I think its shape has alot to do w/the material choices, working thick stainless steel into fancy curved body parts is not an easy ask.. The bed sides and the triangle shape is a cantilever design for the unibody to carry the load... dont know how much the'll tweak its shape before production, alot of these design elements have actual purpose and function.

Specs certainly are impressive, I think it'll be far more capable than most think..

I completely understand the hate and crap talking on it, its well deserved.. but since they announced it they been getting ~10k reservations an hour so hate on it all you want, but people are gonna buy this..
By that same token, McD is good food.

85_Ranger4x4

I have always thought those trucks look cool and sound good on paper. But for the American market they are not very practical.
I think a lot of people would take one, I would rather have one of those that the Tesla thing... or anything else currently available in the US market.

They will never get thru the EPA and crash testing though so it is moot.

True. But usually "selling a lot" means "lowest common denominator" to me.
Oh yeah, McD's fries are cheap crappy fries. But, they also sell a lot cause they're damn delicious. Plus you get a weeks worth of sodium intake in one sitting. So, what's not to like?