Tesla Pick up reveal tonight at 8pm. Post your thoughts here...

F350joe

Adventurer
Two more articles out today, to stir up your passionate sense of angst about the CyberTruck. But the topics of this long, boring post probably aren’t going to be of any real interest to most of you, I’d recommend just skipping it😎

1.Tesla Cybertruck will likely get medium-duty truck classification, like Ford Super Duty and others.
Which relates to the second article below, because this heavy duty rating may help to additionally increase the vehicle insurance rates you’ll have to pay if you buy one of these “Honey Badger of Trucks” rigs.

Of course, if you are rich enough to be afford a $69k truck, what the heck do you care about how much it’s going to cost you to insure it?

“While the Ford F-150 has been the claimed target for the Tesla Cybertruck, it looks like the government may classify it like even larger and more capable pickups. As first reported by Automotive News, the electric car company sent a letter to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) suggesting that the state not give Class 2b-3 trucks an exception to required electric vehicle sales until 2027, that instead it should have the requirements in 2024. That class is the medium-duty pickup class that consists of vehicles such as the Ford F-Series Super Duty, Chevy Silverado HD and Ram 2500. The letter goes on to note that the Cybertruck will likely fall in that category.The reason is the Cybertruck will probably be quite heavy. Vehicle classes are based on gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR).” (per that article)

2. What will insurance costs be?
But speaking of Insurance, according to MotorTrend, the unpainted, unbreakable heavy duty stainless steel panels its body is made of might be a wash, cost wise. While those may be harder to damage (lower insurance costs), they may be more expensive to replace (higher insurance costs)

So, how might insurance for the Tesla Cybertruck compare to regular pickup trucks? according to the agent interviewed in this article, "I can only theorize at this time, but my sense is that it would cost more to insure the Tesla Cybertruck than a conventional pickup truck," Gusner said. Data points to Tesla vehicles being more expensive to insure than other vehicles.“

Another part of the equation is costs of parts...since CyberTruck parts won't be as readily available, repairs could be more costly than those for a conventional truck. Tesla claims it can provide lower insurance rates than other carriers because it has a unique understanding of its vehicles, tech, safety, and repair costs. According to Tesla's website, drivers can save up to 20 percent, and in some cases, as much as 30 percent. Tesla Insurance takes into account Tesla's active safety and driver assistance technologies in its pricing. (per MotorTrend story)

But in reality....."Most car insurance companies have not given out discounts for Tesla vehicles or other vehicles with multiple safety features—such as lane departure warning, automatic braking, collision assistance—as the insurers say they are still watching the data for proof that the features are working and cutting down on crashes and/or the severity of auto accidents that do occur," the quoted insurance agent said.

Story Link:

Perhaps the most interesting comments pertained to how the insurance costs could increase for the increased liability and danger presented to pedestrians and bicyclists. “Another factor affecting insurance rates is how safe a vehicle is for other parties involved in a crash.... and the insurance agent interviewed commented that “the steel body looks as if it could cause a great deal of damage to other vehicles and those on bikes and pedestrians, so (that) would be of concern to insurers.”

So here you go, just some more cannon fodder for the people who are being driven crazy by this proposed new monster truck!
It took me a couple tries to get insurance for my f350 with a steel flatbed with a ranchhand upfront. They knew I was safe but worried about the damage I would do to others. It wasn’t cheap. It is something to consider with the cyber truck. Wheeling tends to break stuff and sounds like the cars are tough to get parts for as it is now. Both issues should be real concerns for prospective buyers,

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
One honest question here too: what about roof rack? It does not seem like you would be able to put anything up there with this angle...

Recommended books for Overlanding

Road Fever (Vintage Departures)
by Tim Cahill
From $6.99
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

gungriffin

Insurance will be no big deal because Elon understands that Warren Buffets insurance company holdings are greedy. As a result of the price gouging that is occuring on people seeking insurance on Teslas, Elon has pledged to start offering insurance for Teslas at a substantially reduced cost.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Insurance will be no big deal because Elon understands that Warren Buffets insurance company holdings are greedy. As a result of the price gouging that is occuring on people seeking insurance on Teslas, Elon has pledged to start offering insurance for Teslas at a substantially reduced cost.

Reports from owners of the S, 3 and X that tesla's insurance offering is now substantially cheaper than anyone else. It's only in California right now, but someone was told recently it will roll out across the US in the first half of 2020.

-Dan

gungriffin

Reports from owners of the S, 3 and X that tesla's insurance offering is now substantially cheaper than anyone else. It's only in California right now, but someone was told recently it will roll out across the US in the first half of 2020.

-Dan
My understanding is that auto insurance is not a high margin business. It is easy to lure people in with low first year premiums. It is very easy to take in premiums, but it can be hard to pay them out. I am not sure who is right, but time tends to reveal all.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My understanding is that auto insurance is not a high margin business. It is easy to lure people in with low first year premiums. It is very easy to take in premiums, but it can be hard to pay them out. I am not sure who is right, but time tends to reveal all.
The Tesla insurance is provided and underwritten by a much larger dedicated insurance company.

-Dan

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $10.99
Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotlan...
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $8.99
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
by Laurence Gonzales
From $9.99

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I think the 2 guys in the back are not exactly up to scale.

View attachment 557892
LOL; what is that at the front? An attempt to make it aerodynamic? The person who did that has no sense of aerodynamics at all. Or scale.