Tesla Pick up reveal tonight at 8pm. Post your thoughts here...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is no way that body design is going into production. Looks like a quick and dirty concept render.

The aerodynamics of that body design is never going to pass muster on an EV.

This is kinda an unusual design process though. Unlike most other trucks, where you start with the drivetrain, systems, etc mostly from scratch (not car or SUV based). Tesla's AWD drivetrain used on the X is already mostly ready for truck duty. Expand the battery size, change the wheelbase, and adjust the suspension. This means development costs are going to be lower, and they have a bit more flexibility with cab design, and body shape.

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
I know which one would survive best through here....
View attachment 552277 View attachment 552278
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Honestly, I wouldn't assume that the Tesla can't take a beating off road. It has far fewer parts that can fail and doesn't have many of the problems that a conventional vehicle can suffer from.

Now, the gas powered version wins hands down when it comes to range off road... Kinda hard to recharge a battery in the middle of nowhere...haha.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
In a weird way, I kinda' like the body design. Maybe it's just reminding me of a Matchbox toy?

Looks like a MadMax Isuzu.

I wonder if it will be self-driving? :)

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am not a fan of the design as it sits, though the bones could be workable with some softening of the ridiculous angularity. People like the Labmos, even though they look like origami... To be fair I think most american pickups look pretty terrible, especially with the sill mini-beds favored by the crew cab models.

ricardo

Observer
IF I can not pack three dirt bikes or a few 4x8 sheets plywood (With the gate closed) is not a pickup truck if you ask me, regardless of the power plant..

We did have a p98 (hand me down from my ex hyper rich brother) that was a Bitching car to ride but end up been more of a Ticket maker for the Poncherellos, plus the stupid tires and rims keep getting ruined with the smallest potholes (san francisco is not so bad but is not perfect)

Recommended books for Overlanding

National Geographic Road Atlas 2021: Adventure Edition [U...
by tional Geographic Maps
From $22.46
The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-A...
by Eric Rutkow
From $13.39
First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover
by Tim Slessor
From $13.4
Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from ...
by Aimé Tschiffely
From $10.99

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
That is a horrendous design. It looks like a redneck vehicle - one made by someone who doesn't know much about metal working and had very little tools to work with. Even the flat surfaces is a no-no. They will quickly begin to buckle as they are completely flat.

The wheel well extensions that seems to be an afterthought and simply three pieces of metal stuck together is bad, but what's even worse are those sharp corners at the front that even protudes, making sure it will cut open any human that is hit by that corner.
Sheesh, you would think they would know a thing or two about building cars, regulations, and common sense by now. But, no. it's Elon Musk.

E917B1CF-9BE3-40D8-965E-96CE9BE20836.jpeg

85_Ranger4x4

Has no one noticed that it's all but impossible to access the bed, from the side of the truck.
Have you not seen most current production trucks? That is the new fad...

That way if you actually need to get into the back of your truck they can upsell you gimmicky steps and/or tailgates.

Last edited: