Tesla Pick up reveal tonight at 8pm. Post your thoughts here...

F350joe

Adventurer
Last edited:

F350joe

Adventurer
There is a guy hitting it with a sledge hammer so there is that. Looks like a lego Delorean. Air suspension and looks, not feeling. Tailgate ramp, price, 500mi range, are pretty cool. Elon embarrassed when the windows that were not suppose to break, broke, priceless.

DB1FDA47-687C-4743-AFBA-938BA1F04CC5.jpeg

Last edited:

F350joe

Adventurer
Oh, oh!....you better watch it....they’re a couple of members here who continually whine about it whenever I start threads with posts to interesting, useful news articles 🥴

But actually, this should be a good thread discussion, so thx.

As you’ve shown, the totally incredible, none-better, wow I absolutely cannot believe it, Tesla electric super truck is getting lots of media attention this week. But really, perhaps the best big question raised today by one of those articles is:

“Electric pickups are coming. The only question is, will Americans buy them?”

So lets get that chat rolling.....

1. would you buy one ?
2. and if you are even thinking of maybe doing that in the not too distant future, what would it take to make you a believer....to make you write that big check?

Tesla is bragging this week that it’s unbelievably super battery powered truck will completely haul azz speed wise, have humongous great range before needing a recharge, and best yet...it’s gonna out haul the big Fords by a huge weight margin. And to get all that wonderful magic , you just need to pay the price for an almost top end F250.

hmmmmm , well that sounds pretty good, so far.

(dare I?, well yes...here you go...)
If the numbers they just showed are true it will check a lot of boxes for buyers. Pretty radical design, I think that will hold a lot of buyers back. How good can air suspension be off-road? Also, it looked like ground clearance stayed the same and just the body rose. I just spent the last couple days tearing out the air suspension in my Gx470 and it rides much better. The adjustable height and auto leveling is cool, it sucked otherwise. But they do tap into the onboard air so you can run air tools. 110/220v plugs is cool, Ford will be doing the same in their hybrid f150. Starting at 40k and up to 70k is reasonable. If I was in the market I would wait to see what ford does with the f150 or maybe even Rivan.

F350joe

Adventurer
And now the other guys are starting to wake up to this potential competition threat...as GM has also recently gotten into the media frenzy by teasing folks with a picture of their old Hummer H2 pickup and saying that by 2021 it will have an entry into the plug in truck market too!

(Oh shizzle, here we go again)
General Motors confirms electric pickup truck for 2021
Looks like it’s game on for electric trucks. Better aftermarket support for an electrified traditional style pick up too.

shade

An EV truck could work for me, and I'd consider buying. I can't say which one, or if it'd be one of the mentioned options. The details will be very important to get right when balancing price, range, and capabilities.

dreadlocks

Its ugly as hell in photos, but at the same time I had F117 and Delorian diecasts when I was like 10yro and the kid in me thinks its kinda cool despite its uglyness..

I like Air Suspension, always tows perfectly level, lowering it makes my SUV feel dramatically more sporty, raising it to max does make it a bit stiff, but I dont have dynamic dampening like this.. so I ride on 17's and just deflate my tires more frequently, I greatly enjoy having ample clearance without driving it day to day all jacked up, having to climb in and fall out, and needing a 13in drop hitch.. and its nice deflating the rears all the way and dramatically reducing the gate height when I'm loading a ton of floor tile into the back manually, or just getting the old dog to jump in and out of the back so I dont have to lift him.

Its clear aero was top priority with no exposed bed, closed off wheels.. not having air suspension is not really an option for this thing.. he can only give you those ranges because at 80mph you dont need 16in of clearance.

Air Suspension is not the most ideal choice for a dedicated wheeler, but for a multipurpose vehicle (people hauling/towing/offroading/enjoying lonely twisty paved roads) you wont find much better IMO..

I would totally drive an electric truck. My concern is currently the infrastructure to support an electric vehicle. I generally prefer to be in the middle of nowhere when camping, fishing whatever. Can you charge a an electric car off a small portable generator?

shade

I would totally drive an electric truck. My concern is currently the infrastructure to support an electric vehicle. I generally prefer to be in the middle of nowhere when camping, fishing whatever. Can you charge a an electric car off a small portable generator?
Sure, but the smaller (lower output) the generator, the longer it'll take.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I remember back in 8th grade... We had this kid in school who bragged about everything. One day he was bragging about his watch. "This watch is totally, completely INdestructible! I could throw it against this wall as hard as I possibly could and it would not even get scratched!"

So of course we said: "Great! Give it a go!"

Naturally, springs, gears and glass went flying everywhere...

plainjaneFJC

Goofball
What garbage. They have a big reveal and this is the design they come up with? I know how this went down, when someone was drawing the red bronco on a etch a sketch, about the time they shotgunned the 5th beer they looked down on the ground at the crushed beer can and had an epiphany, behold the tesla truck right before their very eyes.......

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
What garbage. They have a big reveal and this is the design they come up with? I know how this went down, when someone was drawing the red bronco on a etch a sketch, about the time they shotgunned the 5th beer they looked down on the ground at the crushed beer can and had an epiphany, behold the tesla truck right before their very eyes.......
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode with Frank Gehry.