Terrapod RTT

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Yes that is one of the reasons I chose a Terrapod. The Chinese made tents are sketchy and oh my I was surprised how many brands are made in the same factory. The AU and SA tents are awesome but heavy and call me crazy but why not buy US made by hard working US (CA) when you can.

I live in Utah and bought my Terrapod XL from Josh at Juniper who is in Denver.

Cool dude as he talked me out of trying to mod it to include trap door so I could access from my trailer. I mean if you have to get out of trailer to open it anyway why risk a hole in your trailer roof. Watch this space as I will update when I have installed on my Trail Marker trailer.

Just picked up my Terrapod at Juniper Overland (Western Dealer) in Denver. Doing some urban camping in Denver. So far I am totally impressed. I don't know how they made it so stout yet so light and low profile. Love the graphite hardware on rack. Tent material and zippers seem like very high quality! Can't wait to install on my Trail Marker trailer. The white color will blend in and still lower off of roof then my max fan.

Attachments

• 20220919_191803.jpg
    20220919_191803.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 20220919_191742.jpg
    20220919_191742.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20220919_191516.jpg
    20220919_191516.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

JackW

Explorer
I was camping in my Terrapod Solo this past weekend In Tellico Plains, TN - very comfortable.
We were running a couple of sections of the TAT over the weekend and stopped over night at the Cherohola Mountain Trails Campground.

terrapod solo.jpg

I finally got my Terrapod installed on my 2023 Trail Marker. So pleased with the custom mounting system Trail Marker designed. Chad with Terrapod has been awesome helping us.

Tent is 120 pounds with only 6.5" of height including rack and cross bars.

There is on extra step setting up over other clam shell RTT. The struts lock in the front of the clam. It's a simple quick procedure but makes the tent much more solid then anything on the market!

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_195351.jpg
    IMG_20230509_195351.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 19

alia176

Explorer
I love their Solo unit, nice and narrow. I also love their front aero nose, such a smart thing to do in order to cut down on noise and drag. Granted, these things are sitting on top of bricks but still!

Curious, can you leave your pillows and bedding inside and close it up? How thick is the foam mattress?

I love their Solo unit, nice and narrow. I also love their front aero nose, such a smart thing to do in order to cut down on noise and drag. Granted, these things are sitting on top of bricks but still!

Curious, can you leave your pillows and bedding inside and close it up? How thick is the foam mattress?
Do to the 5 " (6.75 if you include rack and cross bars) height you have to use a Exped type air mattress. Very comfortable and once deflated you can store inside with sleeping bag and ladder. Pillow would have to be air filled and deflated to fit.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I'm more and more interested in light weight RTT options. My Bush Company AX27 and the 270 XT Max awning are over 250 lbs and I can really feel it up there. So the light weight is nice. I wish that the Terrapod website had a little more information on the tent specs. I wasn't able to find it at a quick glance.

My other question is the fabric and it's "tightness". That was one thing I loved about my James Baroud is that in the wind it was rock solid and didn't flap around. Does this do the same or is the fabric so light it flaps around?

alia176

Explorer
I'm more and more interested in light weight RTT options. My Bush Company AX27 and the 270 XT Max awning are over 250 lbs and I can really feel it up there. So the light weight is nice. I wish that the Terrapod website had a little more information on the tent specs. I wasn't able to find it at a quick glance.

My other question is the fabric and it's "tightness". That was one thing I loved about my James Baroud is that in the wind it was rock solid and didn't flap around. Does this do the same or is the fabric so light it flaps around?

I have a similar style of tent, Variant by Autohome and it flaps and so will this one, if I were to venture a guess. The pic below shows the slack in the fabric, and the lifting struts are probably maxed out while the side fabric are probably tight.

You're right about the weight up though, it's no joke. Between the 270XT (65#) + Columbus Variant (130#, including bedding) + DIY under RTT storage and the contents (60# guess) = 255 total weight above the roof. This is very noticeable in certain instances in the 80, even with heavy duty F+R sway bars.

1686250511890.png

concretejungle

Adventurer
I have a similar style of tent, Variant by Autohome and it flaps and so will this one, if I were to venture a guess. The pic below shows the slack in the fabric, and the lifting struts are probably maxed out while the side fabric are probably tight.

You're right about the weight up though, it's no joke. Between the 270XT (65#) + Columbus Variant (130#, including bedding) + DIY under RTT storage and the contents (60# guess) = 255 total weight above the roof. This is very noticeable in certain instances in the 80, even with heavy duty F+R sway bars.

View attachment 782129
Yes! I would never do the hole in the rock trail with my current RTT set-up. I would be too nervous.

alia176

Explorer
Yes! I would never do the hole in the rock trail with my current RTT set-up. I would be too nervous.

Unfortunately, I'll be doing that exact trail with my setup and quite possibly poop my pants!!!! Thankfully I built my sliders with rub rails that are great for guys to stand on and act as ballasts.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Unfortunately, I'll be doing that exact trail with my setup and quite possibly poop my pants!!!! Thankfully I built my sliders with rub rails that are great for guys to stand on and act as ballasts.
There is that one off camber step climb towards the middle/end of the trail (right before you crest the plateau where you see the bend in the river) that I'm always nervous about. I've done it twice with a James baroud up top. But now..... I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior