TerraLiner:12 m Globally Mobile Beach House/Class-A Crossover w 6x6 Hybrid Drivetrain

egn

Adventurer
Whether weight distribution is relevant or not depends really on the individual vehicle.

For my KAT 1 6x6 it was really relevant, because of the following factors:

KAT6x6_Weight_Distribution.jpg

When you look at this weight distribution you see that there is very low weight reserve at the front axle. The center of gravity of the load has to be between the rear axles to get maximum GVW without overloading the front axle.

Off course, this is with platform. Without platform the axle weights are something like 5.700 kg at the front axle and about 4000 kg on both rear axles together.

If you want to have a specific space layout you have to think very careful regarding placement of heavy items, like water tanks, fuel tanks, battery, ... If you have a light and short camper box you end up with a very uneven weight distribution with to much weight at the front axle causing non-optimal off-road behaviour when going through soft terrain like sand.

In order get a fairly good weight distribution on the axles at full load I simulated weight distribution with a Excel spreadsheet. With the final cabin size I also thought about replacing the KAT 1 against a KAT 1A1 with longer wheelbase to reduce the overhang. But with same layout the weight distribution even would have been worse. The only option the would have improved the situation would have been a "Chinese 6" aka 8x8 with cut rear axle. But finally I decided against this option mainly because of costs. Beside this such a configuration has also less available storage space at the sides for fuel tanks and boxes.

For an integrated Terraliner you don't have this weight distribution issue, because there is no heavy steel box and heavy drive train placed on top the front axle. As in my opinion the other differences between conventional and "Chinese" 6x6 are don't really that important, it is just a matter of taste. An even more fancy configuration would be an even distribution of the 3 axles like with some personal carriers like German Fuchs.

egn

Adventurer
My friend Dieter has retired from Truck Trail and Rallye driving. As he has no interest in internet forums, he will not write here.

You may find some videos and images in the internet with his truck:

2:35, 4:00

4:40

3:10

0:40, 2:09, 2:59, 4:34

0:38, 1:44, 2:08

MT-Rallye

TTCD

Images from the conversion.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Just a quickie - I only have a minute. I have not caught up on the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned...

Imagine towing a 747...on ice.

I've actually done that. I've also showed that commercial aviation fuel tanker trucks often have twin steering axles.

Even on hot tarmac with excellent traction - just because you turn the steering wheel, that doesn't guarantee the truck is actually going to turn. In those situations the extra steered axle in the front is to make sure the load doesn't keep pushing the truck straight even through the front wheels are turned.

Gotta run, have fun. :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Almost forgot - I don't think TerraLiner needs twin steered axles. A conventional one front, two rear setup would be just fine.

thjakits

Adventurer
.....whether the Terraliner really NEEDS a Chinese-6 or not is actually not a pure 4x4 (....or better 6x6) question any more....

It seems the Terraliner is not just a theoretical Tesis-project anymore, but there is an actual chance that it will be built! ??

Now OBVIOUSLY the Chinese-6 is more complex than a rear tandem configuration - however EVERYONE and his cousin already has the regular "Box on a truck tandem-frame" in their line-up.

Is there any Chinese-6 on the Explorer-market ??

So - maybe the extra build-complexity, not only would bring better abilities in the rough [.... real or perceived], but certainly it would have a sales-aspect NO ONE else has at this moment - obviously this could backfire, but if the Terraliner is properly developed it'd rather become a sales-asset than not....

- [...again - even if KAMAZ is not interested in selling a commercial platform to RV-developers/builders - I am certain they could at least be "exploited" in the advertising of the Terraliner - they certainly won't complain about free advertising - copying is the sweetest form of flattery!]

- [...looking again at the frame sequence of the factory tour video - the Typhoon chassis is about as perfect as it gets as starting point to develop the Terraliner on top!] Weight limits are right there, IS is there, you either can keep the drive train back to the trans (and ONE big e-motor) or just bolt independent smaller e-motors/generators to each of the differentials. Basically you have a drive train/suspension subframe, ready to be bolted/"fully integrated" to the rest of the box! ....just have them stretch the thing 2meters!]

thjakits:coffee:

PS: I wonder to what extend you really can compare the Kamaz with the TATRA - besides the axle-position configuration there is not much to compare...
Does TATRA even still have a Chinese-6??
TATRA has swing axles, which will RADICALLY change camber when drooping or compressing, Kamaz has a parallelogram-style [double wishbone?] IS - NO change of camber when the suspension articulates through its range.....
[Apples to Apples...]

ANYONE out there, that could shed some light on the pro/con of the TATRA swing axles vs. IS (wishbone...)??

EDIT: Can't find any NEW Chinese-6 on the TATRA website. Unless you go 8x8 or higher (10x10 or 12x12) you won't get 2 steering axles in the front!

Last edited:

egn

Adventurer
To end the discussion about conventional and Chinese-6 I propose to use this vehicle as compromise: :ylsmoke:

Zil E167

Last edited:

thjakits

Adventurer
JESUS, ENG!!

It only took you 144 pages to show us this one!!

Perfect! :drool:

Now Bio can forget about any and all worries about the "moving part" for Terraliner and can fully concentrate on making it into the perfect condo!
[Hell - this thing is big enough to attach your permanent balcony anywhere on the rig!]

Power source? [The original two probably still were gasoline engines with a mpg-rating lower than a freight train....]

Anything you want!! Enough space for a small nuke, if you care for!

No more worries about parking space - ....just anywhere! Let the others deal with HOW to get AROUND you!

Care for a little camping? Play it save and pitch your tent UNDER the Rolling Bunker!!

Side slopes? - no worries, we don't roll over, we sliiiiide sideways....

When you see other Russian gear going about to drown or submarine style - this thing doesn't even get the windshield wet!!

The one hitch I see though is - ...IF you ever puncture a tire - How the hell are you gonna fix or change it?!!

Also - better bring a remote pump and sump for refueling at a gas station - you won't fit in any.....

When it comes to "out of this world" machinery, no one beats the Russians!

....compared to that ZIL, they are getting a little lame lately though, ......with that new Typhoon thing ....:p

Cheers,

thjakits :coffee:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

safas

Observer
(note: I'm the same person as aarfa, but operating a different computer)
Further thoughts:
1. It would be good to have most or all windows in the same format. Keeping a single spare would cover all window loss situations.
2. And in general, keeping part-compatibility to the maximum extent between the truck, the trailer and the toad makes spare-management easier.

biotect

Designer
Bio,

...unless you are already PAST PACKAGING - you might have a look at this guy's build:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...traveles-Europe-and-Turkey-International-7500

.....on page 1 he is already talking about "underfloor, ROOMY bedroomS!" - he really is stacking SPACE!!

Cheers,

thjakits:coffee:

Hi thjakits, dwh, safas, egn,

Yes, very familiar with Shachagra. If you go back to post #460, you'll see that I wrote a bit about it there -- see http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page46 . Doug Cuthbert's design solution was very particular to his operational requirement: a motorhome that could transport his family of five in comfort. This reveals something important about RVs: even the very biggest ones are not designed for families of 4 or 5 to travel for months together full-time. Even the biggest Class A motorhomes are designed mostly for couples, with perhaps one grown adult kid occasionally visiting.

If one's kids are still small, they can share a fold-down or fold-out bed. But older kids need separate bedrooms, and no standard RVs have 4 discreet bedrooms, to accommodate a family of 5. So Cuthbert had to borrow a naval idea to get his kids their separate bedrooms, and the "motorhome" that resulted is mega-sized, with not much ground clearance:

And see https://www.youtube.com/user/shachagra , https://www.youtube.com/user/shachagra/videos , and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpjndyHo_VnsY9D--X63g9h7d6Swi0lPh .

Shachagra is not an expedition motorhome at all, but rather, was designed to travel the good paved roads in Europe and some Asian countries. In short, Shachagra is completely different in intent and format from the TerraLiner.

The only aspect of Shachagra that is somewhat relevant, is the Japanese-style bathing tub. This too was motivated by the large size of Cuthbert's family, and the need to conserve water. The theory was that he would convince all his kids to take super-quick "navy showers" beforehand, and then they could soak in the warm water of the hot-tub as long as they liked. In theory his family would then use less water. They would use less water than if instead everyone took a series of "normal" showers that typically consume 32 - 40 liters each. But Cuthbert's oldest daughter sort of mutinied. She's a runner, and when she finished a run and was soaked with sweat, she wanted a proper shower.

Honestly, I still have not completely made up my mind about how the TerraLiner's bathtub will work, and I have three or four different ideas still in play. I will probably present all of them as "options". At first I didn't like Cuthbert's Japanese-Furo idea, because one can't combine it with a shower in exactly the same location, as per the standard "shower/tub" that most of our homes now have. That would defeat the whole purpose of a "Furo". The shower area has to be one thing, and the hot-tub another, as per Shachagra. So one ends up using even more space than was used, for instance, by the combined bath-tub/shower area of Mañana -- see post #206 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page21 , and post #212 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page22 :

bathroom1.jpg

In Mañana the hot-tub is actually a Western-style jacuzzi, filled up completely and then drained with each use. Whereas the central idea behind the Japanese style "Furo" in Shachagra, is that the water stays put and gets filtered, much like a swimming pool. And one enters a "Furo" only after one has cleaned oneself with a navy shower. A "Furo" is only for soaking, not cleaning.

Now recall that even though Mañana is a fully capable "bad road" expedition motorhome, Mañana is on the large end of things, over 10 m, so it has space for a bathtub. Furthemore Mr. Thompson's wife insisted on the jacuzzi/bathtub.

More on this important aspect of motorhome design -- what egn calls the "WAF" or "Wife Acceptance Factor" -- in a later post, when I address bathtubs again in greater detail. For now suffice it to say that it's a bit too easy for a bunch of guys exchanging ideas on a web forum such as ExPo to forget that large, expensive motorhomes are typically bought by well-established, long-married, and wealthy couples. As such, American Class-A or German "Liner" motorhomes will sell to couples only if the wife's needs are met every bit as much as the husband's..... It's easy to forget this fundamental point on a male-dominated forum such as this. However, as a designer I never forget it, and I learnt how to become very "gender sensitive" in my design choices way back as an undergrad in my first year. It's basic design 101. If one designs only for men, one fails the course, period. One will not be a successful design student, and one will not become a successful designer.

In any case, many months ago I began working through different ideas for a combination "walk-in-tub + shower", sort of like what Mr. Thompson had in Mañana, only more compact, vertical, and integrated as a single design enclosure. Here's the initial idea that inspired me, and for a number of months I worked on a version that is more circular, transparent, even more vertical, etc.

walk-in-bath-tub-2951.jpg dimensions-2951-bathtub.jpg

But having a bathtub is all about the experience, not just sitting in a more vertical kind of tub and getting wet. And for many people, the "bathtub experience" is all about reclining horizontally. Hence all the more recent design experiments I went through, thinking about the most mechanically efficient and space-economical way to create a "retractable" bathtub, as per the medical tubs illustrated earlier in the thread.

However, in just the last last few weeks it has struck me that Doug Cuthbert may have had the right idea after all, even for a TerraLiner that will be used only by a retired couple. An expedition motorhome like the TerraLiner, a motorhome whose design specification includes boondocking for at least a month without resupply, probably does need a solution like Shachagra . Other kinds of motorhome, used for just short 1 or 2 week vacations, in which the vehicle is typically hooked up to services at an RV park, may still benefit from some of my "retractable" bathtub experiments. But not the TerraLiner.

The particular design problematic for the TerraLiner is this: a bath typically consumes 80 liters, and so if one does the math, one quickly realizes that one won't be able to have many baths unless the vehicle is hooked up to shore power, water, etc. at an RV park. Just five baths, and one has consumed a whopping 400 liters. Mr. Thompson wrote to me that he and his wife used Mañana's bathtub only when parked at serviced campsites. But otherwise, for most of the time during their roughly 10 years spent traveling around Australia with Mañana, they did not use the bathtub that much. So the space occupied by the bathtub really became just a super-fancy shower area. But it still had to be there, because his wife had insisted on it.....:)

Now compare Mañana's bathtub to the "permanent" supply of water that always sits readily available for a good, hot soak in Shachagra. Shachagra's hot-tub is not small, at least by the standards of bathtubs: it holds 70 gallons, or approximately 265 liters. Whereas again, the average bath consumes only 80 liters. So Shachagra's bathtub really is a hot-tub, the kind where your whole body floats around in a massive, deep volume of water. That sounds very appealing, much more appealing than a walk-in sit-down tub.

Water consumption could be reduced even more by combining such a "Furo" with dwh's idea for a "steam shower", to take the place of a shower, . One would sit in the steam shower first, sweating out the dirt; then take a very quick shower to clean off, consuming less than 10 liters, and perhaps as few as 5 liters; and then settle in for a good long soak in the 265-liter "Furo". With a system like that, one could "take a bath" (of a kind) every day for a month, in the middle of the Sahara or the Tibetan plateau, and never have to worry about running out of water. A couple might be consuming just 10 - 20 liters maximum per day for its showers, or 600 liters per month. The toilet will also be a vacuum-flush incinerating Ecojohn, as already discussed in post #451 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page46 . So that just leaves cooking and cleaning, i.e. the dishwasher and washing machine.

In theory, it seems possible that a couple might get away with consuming less than 1000 liters a month. And much less than that, if they were to "shower" as described above only every second day, instead of every day. And yet they would enjoy the luxury of a hot-tub always available in the middle of nowhere.

Recall that 1000 liters is the freshwater tank-size of the largest vehicle made recently by UniCat, an 8x8 -- see http://www.unicat.net/pdf/MXXL24AH-MAN8x8-sh-en.pdf and http://www.unicat.com/en/info/MXXL24AH-MAN8x8-sh.php :

Or the Doleoni 6x6 MAN-KAT carries 900 liters in 3 tanks, and is more comparable to the TerraLiner in size, measuring about 10.5 m long, -- see http://www.doleoni.com/wp/en/man-kat-1-a1/ ,http://www.doleoni.com/wp/en/#prettyPhoto[3425-3 Man, TECHNICAL DESIGN]/0/ , and http://www.expedition-trucks.com/brokers/man-kat-6x6-expedition-truck . While egn's Blue Thunder seems to carry a total of 620 liters of freshwater -- see http://www.enfatec.de/index.php?id=54.

The operational objective, it seems to me, is for the Terraliner to be able to boondock for at least a month without needing to resupply with anything. Various water-conservation measures will help, as well as recycling washing-machine "grey water" to flush the toilet. But the mathematics of shower-use are the most daunting by far. A "short" minimal shower is still thought to require 32 liters. Multiply that by two, and a couple will go through more than 600 liters in 10 days, if they shower every day. Whereas Cuthbert may have hit upon a solution that would allow an expedition vehicle to boondock in real style, with users able to soak for long hours in a huge "Furo" every day, and yet as a couple consume less than 20 liters per day for their bathing needs. That' somes pretty formidable math, and has me returning to Shachagra with new eyes.

Put it this way. Doug Cuthbert's idea of locating his kids' bedrooms underfloor, accessible from above by hatches as per navy vessels, is certainly interesting. But it's a solution to a problem that most customers for expensive expedition motorhome do not need solved. Whereas Cuthbert's Japanese "Furo" idea seems like a terrific solution to the problem of long-term water usage, when boondocking for a month or longer in the middle of nowhere.

Now back to Chinese Sixes, where my own view is that the debate is not even remotely resolved, despite egn's most recent posting of a Russian cold-war 6x6 equipped with evenly spaced tires.....:sombrero:... Will explain more anon; just need a few more days to collect all the material required to make the argument.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

wayno

Biotect,

I think that a better solution to your water usage concern is recycling. Assuming the Terraliner has water purification onboard to take water from any source, just use it to recycle your gray water tank. I believe they mention this on the Bliss Mobil website for their expedition vehicles as well.

Even with sufficient filtration that sounds a little dirty though, so take it up a notch. What you really need is Slingshot! Slingshot is a vapor compression distillation unit designed by Dean Kamen and his company, DeKa Research. Their goal is to bring clean drinking water from any source to every village in the developing world. The story of the development of the Slingshot is really interesting and was made into an entertaining documentary last year.

Www.slingshotdoc.com

Essentially their prototype was massive and power hungry and expensive, but they have since partnered up with the Coca-cola company to help distribute and mass produce the devices. Kamen's long term goal for the device is something about the size of a dorm fridge which uses less than 1kW of power and can distill water from any source to medical grade purity for hundreds of liters per day, at a cost of only $1k - $2k. I think it may be a few years before they get to that state, but the promise of the technology is amazing. My guess is that it will be a few more years before they reach that point, but the Terraliner is designed using technology available in the short term near future (3-5years)?

With a slingshot on board, there wouldn't need to be any gray tank bigger than a few gallons. Then in real time as water is used from the clean tank during a shower, washing dishes, etc it would drain through and be distilled back to fill the clean tank back up. Similarly, as water comes on board from any outside source it would get distilled in real time as filling from that stream or well source.

I think it would allow you to extend the useful life of that 1000l water tank into several weeks of multiple people liberally showering or even using your giant tub. You should check it out, and I plan on putting one in my rig that I am currently designing as well if they come close to meeting those lofty design goals.

Thanks,
Wayne

egn

Adventurer
Regarding water usage we are down to about 15 l/person/shower.

IMHO, the important thing is to get wet fast with a head that really delivers water, stop water when using soap, and then again have enough water the soap is removed fast.

Also an important thing is to have the supply temperature controlled and a short supply line from the boiler to avoid unnecessary spilling.

What most people miss is that a lot of water es going down the toilet. Conventional marine toilets use several litre per use, which may be more water use as for showering. We opted for a vacuum toilet which takes less than 0.5 l for normal use.

Using waste water from shower directly for toilet looks great at first, but the disadvantage is that stored waste water with soap takes up a very bad smell within a few days.

There are systems using rain and grey water and reverse osmosis to provide water.

biotect

Designer
Biotect,

I think that a better solution to your water usage concern is recycling. Assuming the Terraliner has water purification onboard to take water from any source, just use it to recycle your gray water tank. I believe they mention this on the Bliss Mobil website for their expedition vehicles as well.

Even with sufficient filtration that sounds a little dirty though, so take it up a notch. What you really need is Slingshot! Slingshot is a vapor compression distillation unit designed by Dean Kamen and his company, DeKa Research. Their goal is to bring clean drinking water from any source to every village in the developing world. The story of the development of the Slingshot is really interesting and was made into an entertaining documentary last year.

Www.slingshotdoc.com

Hi Wayno,

Many thanks for that tip!!!

I've already asked a number of times in the thread if anyone knows about a portable, compact, commercial grade water recycling and purification system.... Yours is the first truly clear answer that I've received! I could do all the research myself (as I did with various toilet solutions, for instance), but that always takes such a long time. Even just a few opening "leads" can save hours or days of wallowing around on the Internet until one gets on the "right track" . My parents have a "reverse osmosis" system installed on their estate located in the middle of the countryside, that pulls water from an artesian well. But that system is huge, heavy, very expensive, and very energy intensive.

As you suggest, the main issue is recycling grey water from showers, and perhaps so too, the washing machine. Just off the top of my head, water used in the kitchen seems to me more "dangerous". If one is cleaning chicken, for instance, one does not want salmonella to re-enter the loop of one's drinking water and shower supply, no matter how "perfect" one's water recycling and filtration system.....:eek: ...So I've imagined the TerraLiner's pipes that run from the kitchen sink and dishwasher, and the pipe that runs from the toilet, as necessarily "dead end" pipes, pipes that go the blackwater tank and the "EcoJohn" incinerator respectively.

But happily, flushing a vacuum-toilet (of the kind that egn recommends; see the post above), and cooking in the kitchen, do not seem to be the biggest water consuming activities, comparatively speaking. It's the showers and the washing machine that absorb the lion's bulk, and yet that produce the "least dirty" effluent. So if the water from these could be effectively recycled back to potability, that would be terrific!

The other thing that I've asked about, but have yet to receive a reasonably good reply to, is the question of water-making.

Watermakers are now common on large and even medium-sized powered and sailing yachts, and I remember reading somewhere that UniCat installed a watermaker on one of its rigs, so that users could pipe in and purify water from just about any source. They could camp out for a night near a lake, lay down a tube to said lake, and in the morning wake up to find their drinking water tanks filled back up. Because I am a "yachtie", this struck me as eminently sensible. Sure, the water coming from a lake probably needs to go through multiple different types of filtration process, to completely eliminate animal and human waste and the associated pathogens one will find in surface water throughout the world. As well as various kinds of agricultural chemicals that are now common everywhere. But it seems at least in principle possible that a compact, ultra-efficient, fast "expedition motorhome watermaking system" should exist.

Or, if does not yet exist, it should be possible to specify the ideal system, and have it custom-made. Many companies that manufacture Watermakers explicitly advertise on their websites that they are willing to put together "custom solutions".

Here are some short articles that explain how watermarking works, and that provide useful lists of manufacturers at the end -- see http://www.cruisingworld.com/how/watermakers-well-never-dry , http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Choosing-a-Watermaker , http://www.myboatsgear.com/watermakers-for-boats , http://www.seaclearwatermakers.com/yacht-watermaker-myths.php , and http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/watermaker-1223.html .

The first is a short-list of manufacturers found at the end of one of the articles:

Aqua Marine: (360) 376-3091, http://www.aquamarineinc.net
FCI Watermakers: (714) 850-0123, http://fciwatermakers.com
Horizon Reverse Osmosis (HRO): (310) 631-6300, http://www.hrosystems.com
Matrix: (954) 524-5120, http://www.aqua-chem.com
Quality Waterworks: (336) 924-8966, http://www.qwwinc.com
Sea Recovery: (310) 637-3400, http://www.searecovery.com/marine/
SK Watermakers: (772) 569-3000, http://skwatermakers.net ,
Spectra Watermakers: (415) 526-2780, http://www.spectrawatermakers.com
Village Marine Tec: (310) 516-9911, http://www.villagemarine.com
Watermakers Inc.: (954) 467-8920, http://www.watermakers.com

The second is a list that I put together combining information from various sources:

Alfa Laval: http://www.alfalaval.com/?menu=products , http://www.alfalaval.com/products/p...Single-stage-fresh-water-generator/AQUA-Blue/ , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/alfa-laval-mid-europe-30729.html

AcquaMarine:
http://www.aquamarineinc.net , http://www.aquamarineinc.net/mainframe.html

Aqua-Chem:
http://www.aqua-chem.com , http://aqua-chem.com/products/freshwater-generator , http://aqua-chem.com/products/land-based-desalination , http://aqua-chem.com/products/swro-emerald-series , http://aqua-chem.com/products/swro-silver-series

Acquatech:
http://www.aquatechsa.co.za/home-and-office-purifiers/ , http://www.aquatechsa.co.za/industrial-purifiers/

Aquatec:
http://www.aquatec-watermaker.de/home_E.html , http://www.aquatec-watermaker.de/aquatec_watermaker_12volt_E.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/aquatec-watermaker-57039.html

AcquaGIv:
http://www.aquagiv-watermakers.com/en/watermakers/blue-serie/#.VXar3UtxBsg , http://www.aquagiv-watermakers.com/en/watermakers/silver-serie/#.VXa_sEtxBsg , http://www.aquagiv-watermakers.com/en/watermakers/platin-serie/#.VXa_nktxBsg , http://www.aquagiv-watermakers.com/en/watermakers/pro-serie-watermakers/ , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/aquagiv-watermakers-31991.html , http://files.aquagiv-watermakers.com/200000914-2e6bf2f69c/aquagiv-prospekt2013_E.pdf , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/aquagiv-watermakers-31991.html

Ampac:
http://www.ampac1.com/industries/ocean-and-marine , http://www.ampac1.com/products/sea-water-desalination , http://www.ampac1.com/industries

Promac:
http://www.promac.nl/pages/gb/home/ , http://www.promac.nl/pages/gb/water_treatment/promac_fresh_water_makers/ , http://www.promac.nl/pages/gb/water_treatment/reverse_osmosis_units/ , http://www.promac.nl/pages/gb/water_treatment/drinking_water_after_treatment/ , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/promac-bv-36651.html

Dessalator:
http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/dc-freedom-watermakers/, http://www.dessalator.fr/en/home/ , http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/ac-cruise-watermakers/ , http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/pro-ac-watermakers-d90-d200/ , http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/pro-ac-watermakers-d300/ , http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/watermakers-with-high-outputs/ , http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/brochures/ , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dessalator-22221.html

DOE:
http://www.doe.pl , http://www.doe.pl/water.html#page19 , http://www.doe.pl/water.html#page1 , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/doe-sp-z-o-o-36404.html

Dometic:
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo-21804.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo/product-21804-460552.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo/product-21804-435605.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo/product-21804-435601.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo/product-21804-460549.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo/product-21804-460553.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic-origo/product-21804-435605.html

DongHwa Entec:
http://www.dh.co.kr/English/business/product.asp?cate=003001008 , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/donghwa-entec-30935.html

ENWA:
http://www.enwa.com/maritime-offshore/offshore-ship-applications/potable-technical-water , http://www.enwa.com/maritime-offsho...ations/potable-technical-water/water-maker-ro , http://www.enwa.com/maritime-offsho.../potable-technical-water/freshwater-generator , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/enwa-sandnes-32280.html

ECHOtec:
http://www.echotecwatermakers.com , http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/small_generator_inverter_powered_watermakers.htm , http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/seawater_desalination_systems_superyachts.htm , http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/seawater_desalination_systems_commercial_vessels.htm , http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/beach_house_desalination_systems.htm , http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/industrial_commercial_reverse_osmosis_systems_RO24.htm , http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/industrial_commercial_reverse_osmosis_systems_RO44.htm

FCI Watermakers:
http://fciwatermakers.com , http://fciwatermakers.com/products.html , http://fciwatermakers.com/products/max-q.html , http://fciwatermakers.com/products/neptune.html , http://fciwatermakers.com/products/custom.html

GEA:
http://www.gea.com/global/en/index.jsp , http://www.gea.com/global/en/products/sea-water-distiller.jsp , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/gea-westfalia-separator-systems-31809.html

Horizon Reverse Osmosis:
http://www.hrosystems.com , http://www.hrosystems.com/models.php , http://www.hrosystems.com/sfv-contained/versatile-contained.php , http://www.hrosystems.com/sfv-modular/versatile-modular.php , http://www.hrosystems.com/mini-mod/seafari-minimod.php

HP Watermakers:
http://www.hpwatermakers.co.uk/HPUC.htm , http://www.hpwatermakers.co.uk/HPELITE.htm

Katadyn:
http://www.katadyn.com , http://www.katadyn.com/en/water-knowledge/ , http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-products/ , http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-wasserfilter/ , http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-micropur/ , http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-entsalzer/ , http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-p...powersurvivors/katadyn-powersurvivor-40e12-v/ , http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ps40.html , http://www.katadyn.com/en/special-solutions/ , http://www.katadynmilitary.com , http://www.katadynmilitary.com/en/military-products/ /katadynshopconnect/military-katadyn/

Mahle:
http://www.mahle-industry.com/en/product_segments/filtration/separation/water_treatment_systems/ , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/mahle-industriefiltration-32554.html

Maxim Watermakers:
http://www.maximevaporators.com/heat-recovery-evaporators/HJ-Series/Model-HJ3C , http://www.maximevaporators.com/heat-recovery-evaporators , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/maxim-evaporators-america-34679.html

PALL:
http://www.pall.com/main/aerospace-defense-marine/product.page?id=52358 , http://www.pall.com/pdfs/Aerospace-Defense-Marine/AEMIMSEN_Marine_IMS_Brochure.pdf , http://www.pall.com/main/water-treatment/mobile-water.page? , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/pall-31455.html

Parker-Racor/Village Marine:
the main "Parker" opening portal and video, http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.223a4a3cce02eb6315731910237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=5d1950f329e62410VgnVCM100000200c1dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN and http://video.parker.com/parker_videos/Filtration/Watermaker/index.html ; the "Village Marine" website, http://www.villagemarine.com ; various "Parker" and/or "Racor" and/or "Village Marine" catalogs, http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7807vmt.m1.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/7873_Rev_-_VMT_Capabilities_Brochure.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7807vmt.m1.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Water Purification/Village Marine/Village_Marine_Catalog.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...orVMT_VMT_Product_Overview_BRO_7807_Rev-E.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images...ine-Marine_Purification_Systems_(Catalog).pdf , http://www.prosep.co.uk/pdf/marine/village_marine_overview.pdf , http://www.parkerstore-phuket.com/downloads/VMT_watermaker_catalogue-new.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/7480H_Catalog_VMT_Watermakers_April_2010.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7937Navy_Brochure-final.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/VMT0036_(Land-Based_Brochure).pdf , http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...archAttr=searchResult&languages=EN&stpoint=DL , and http://www.greenmarine.com/?page_id=109 ; some websites and brochures for various models of watermakers, http://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor...gpd-semi-modular-110-60-13-v-hz-amp--12791752 , http://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--sq-200-watermaker-200-gpd-framed-12-vdc-17-v-amp--12791729 , http://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor...gpd-semi-modular-220-60-12-v-hz-amp--12791810 , https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor Europe/Passage Maker Article Village Marine Nov2011.pdf ,http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7829LWM_SQ.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...VMT_Stowaway_Series_Watermakers_BUL_7861C.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...VMT_Stowaway_Series_Watermakers_BUL_7861C.pdf , http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...TERMAKERS+(400-800+GPD)+(1.5-3.0M3/DAY)&Wtky= , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7935_(LT_Watermakers)3.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...Files/RacorVMT_Pure_Water_Series_BUL_7783.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...DF Files/RacorVMT_Comm_PW_Series_BUL_7831.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Wa...orVMT_Ultra_Filter_RUF-25-30_BUL_VMT0028 .pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7862media_filtration_sys.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/VMT0006_(LB-20K_Portable_Container_Mounted_Watermaker).pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/7854_Rev_-_Disaster_Relief_EUWP.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...RacorVMT_Disaster_Relief_Systems_BRO_7851.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor Europe/fdrb136uk.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor Europe/fdrb175uk4ppcommmarine 0409.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi... Files/WP_SeaRecovery_psr-brochure_052013.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Filtration_-_Filtration_Capabilities_-_7864.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor Europe/FDRB544UK Distribution Solution Brochure May 2013.pdf and http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...rchAttr=searchResult&languages=EN&stpoint=DL# ; various case-study brochures, http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7892(Stowaway_Series_Wild_Dolphin_Project)MAP.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/7920_Haiti_MAP.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images...aker_for_Parker_Medical_Systems_Division).pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi.../RacorVMT_Antarctic_Dream-BMS_MAP_VMT0009.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/7854_Rev_-_Disaster_Relief_EUWP.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...acorVMT_Christensen_Yacht_PWS_MAP_VMT0048.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Village Marine/Case Studies/RacorVMT_Christensen_Yacht_MAP_7945.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/VMT0034(American_Custom_Yachts-PW_Series)MAP.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...rican_Custom_Yachts-PW_Series_MAP_VMT0034.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...merican_Safari_Cruises_PW_Series_MAP_7907.pdf , http://www.parker.com/literature/Vi...acorVMT_Petit_St._Vincent_Resort_MAP_7919.pdf , http://www.villagemarine.com/images/VMT0030_(NCL_Resort-PW_Series_Watermakers)MAP.pdf , http://www.parker.com/portal/site/M...ure&vgnextcat=Case+Studies&querypotential=abc , http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...archAttr=searchResult&languages=DE&stpoint=DL ; and http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/parker-hannifin-21487.html

Pusanova:
http://pursanova.com , http://pursanova.com/uploads/brochure/RO.pdf , http://pursanova.com/index.php/applications/details/7

Quality Water Works:
http://www.qwwinc.com , http://www.qwwinc.com/id6.html

Cruise RO watermaker:
http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/Home_Page.html , http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/WaterMakers.html , http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/40_GPH_Water_Maker_2.html , http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/Custom_Water_Makers_2.html , http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com , http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/Water_Maker_Videos.php , http://www.windtraveler.net/2013/04/cruise-ro-watermaker-first-run.html

RainDance Water Systems:
http://www.raindancewatersystems.com , http://www.raindancewatersystems.com/rosystems.html , http://www.raindancewatersystems.com/rosystems.html

SO-Safe:
http://www.so-safetechnologies.com/domestic-reverse-osmosis-system.htm , http://www.so-safetechnologies.com/commercial-reverse-osmosis-system.htm

SeaGull:
http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/ , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/cat/home-domestic , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/cat/rv-boating , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/cat/commercial , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/cat/portable , http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/Seagull-IV/

SeaRecovery: http://www.searecovery.com/marine/ , http://www.searecovery.com/marine/aqm_2/index.html , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/sea-recovery-22184.html

Schenker: http://www.schenker.it/en/index.php , http://www.schenker.it/en/watermaker-smart30-basic.php , http://www.schenker.it/en/watermakers-modular.php , http://www.schenker.it/en/watermakers-ready.php , http://www.schenker.it/en/photogallery.php , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/schenker-23417.html

SK watermakers: http://skwatermakers.net, http://skwatermakers.net/products/modular-hc-series/ , http://skwatermakers.net/products/self-contained-series/ , http://skwatermakers.net/products/db-panel-series/ http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/sk-watermakers-27118.html

Spectra Watermakers: http://www.spectrawatermakers.com , http://www.spectrawatermakers.com/products/landbased/ , http://www.spectrawatermakers.com/products/marine/ , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/spectra-22056.html

Wartsila: http://www.wartsila.com , http://www.wartsila.com/products/ma...-serck-como-single-stage-desalination-systems , http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/wartsila-corporation-24872.html#product-item_352606

If you begin investigating these links, you'll quickly see that there exists an enormous range of water-making and water-filitration products, some at the very small end, others at the industrial end. Companies also vary hugely in terms of size, product offerings, and their level of competence or expertise. Parker/Racor/Village Marine (now the same company), seems to cover the fullest spectrum of product possibilities, and it seems to have the "deepest" pool of capital and knowledge. But perhaps you know of a better and even more comprehensive company, whose shear size and knowledge-base would guarantee that if one hired them to come up with an optimal customized solution, one really would be getting the very best, most advanced, and most compact system available?

For instance, even after the water is made, as egn suggested in his post above, there's the question of keeping it pure and free from bacteria in the tanks -- see http://www.myboatsgear.com/water-purification-onboard , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/cat/rv-boating , http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/cat/commercial . And even reverse osmosis does not reliably remove all viruses and chemicals. All water-purificaiton processes have their limits, as nicely outlined in the following "Seagull" video (Seagull is popular amongst some yachties):

So for really useable water, it's possible that a process as complicated as that proposed in this Seagull video may prove necessary.....:coffee:

Let me then put my question this way: if you personally were to construct the ideal system that could draw in and "make-water" from outside sources, including seawater; as well as purify recycled water from the shower and washing machine, what would your system be?

And here's the punch-line question: Could Dean Kamen's Slingshot really "do it all?"

[video=youtube;4j2d0Hb_GsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2d0Hb_GsE [/video]
[video=youtube;PMBB97raUGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMBB97raUGY [/video]

Here are some articles about Slingshot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingshot_(water_vapor_distillation_system) , http://www.popsci.com/article/scien...ns-invention-could-bring-clean-water-millions , http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-tech/remediation/slingshot-water-purifier.htm , http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-tech/remediation/slingshot-water-purifier1.htm , http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-tech/remediation/slingshot-water-purifier2.htm , http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2013/08/features/engine-of-progress , http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/1...clean-water-shortage-with-slingshot-purifier/ , and http://www.slingshotdoc.com .

As you can see, Wayno, when I encounter a great lead, I really run with it!! I am not lazy, and when my intuition tells me that something might be really worth investigating, I seize the bull by the horns.

So if you would be willing to quickly summarize why you think Slingshot will replace all previous Watermaking and Water-purifying technologies; and why Slingshot will solve all the various problems that continue to plague the different kinds of systems already on the market, I would be most grateful indeed. Yes, it would be terrific if Slingshot proves to be the "magic bullet" that solves all problems, and that could function as a combined water-maker and water recycler/purifier for the TerraLiner, as you suggested in your post:

With a slingshot on board, there wouldn't need to be any gray tank bigger than a few gallons. Then in real time as water is used from the clean tank during a shower, washing dishes, etc it would drain through and be distilled back to fill the clean tank back up. Similarly, as water comes on board from any outside source it would get distilled in real time as filling from that stream or well source.

I think it would allow you to extend the useful life of that 1000l water tank into several weeks of multiple people liberally showering or even using your giant tub. You should check it out, and I plan on putting one in my rig that I am currently designing as well if they come close to meeting those lofty design goals.

But to speed things up, and so that followers of this thread don't have to read all the articles or watch all the videos just posted, a quick summary from you would be terrific, a summary explaining why and how Slingshot is better than reverse osmosis, conventional distillation, boiling, carbon filtering, UV radiation filtering, ultra-fine micro-straining, broad spectrum molecular capture, electrostatic removal, or any other process or combination of processes.... Such a quick summary would be most helpful indeed. You wrote that the Slingshot uses "vapor compression distillation" -- what exactly does that mean? How is that different from ordinary distillation? And, of course, you also mentioned that at present, the Slingshot is "massive and power-hungry, and expensive....."

So in just a few paragraphs, what is Slingshot technology, and why is it so different and superior to everything that has come before? How will it consistently screen out chlorine, bacteria, viruses, dangerous heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals, in a way that other processes do not seem able to, at least not reliably and consistently just on their own?

Last but not least, see the following terrific video about the health benefits of drinking alkaline as opposed to acidic water:

I'm a bit miffed, however, that the video did not test San Pellegrino, by far my favorite "aqua frizzante", and for my money the best-tasting mineral water on the planet by far, beating Evian and Perrier by a long mile -- see https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pellegrino :

file_66.jpg pet_no_1500.jpg

:friday:

All best wishes, and again, many thanks,

Biotect

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94