terminals & crimper recommendation sought

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I have had this crimper for about 6 years. Adjustable release for repeatable crimps. The dies are for insulated terminals, and should do 18 to 10 AWG.

I might have to get mine out a play with it again. I could never get a tight crimp out of it.
Even followed your link and got the "You purchased this one time...." note

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I might have to get mine out a play with it again. I could never get a tight crimp out of it.
Even followed your link and got the "You purchased this one time...." note

On some of the cheaper terminals (thinner insulation or metal) I need to move down to the next lower size when crimping. There is no one size fits all unfortunately, as terminal makers have no single standard.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
After years of dealing with crappy crimpers and always wondering if they were done right, I went out and bought this one

I like the ratcheting feature because it somewhat ensures a consistent crimp, and multiple dies handles everything I need to do. This one handles up to 10 ga, for larger sizes I have a hydraulic one but that only gets used for battery and winch cables. The type of terminals you use are important too, stick to name brand terminals and you won't have a problem. Cheaper ones are too thin and don't hold as well.

shade

On some of the cheaper terminals (thinner insulation or metal) I need to move down to the next lower size when crimping. There is no one size fits all unfortunately, as terminal makers have no single standard.
I'm sticking with FTZ for all, big & small. I have one of their large crimpers, and their smaller terminals work well with the Maine Sail crimper.
I'm giving my old assortment to McRib.

I was installing cabinets in a new MRI suite and watched a GE technician bump his head on the impressive terminal box that he'd set on the edge of the MRI table. After the giant fountain of expensive terminals ended, he sat motionless for a few seconds, sighed, and said, "I won't be eating lunch today." He was still sorting as we left.

shade

I think he was more of a freak than a tweaker. Seemed mello enough, just trying to expand those kids' minds.
I don't know about that. He's definitely tweakin' at the end. The lips are the giveaway. Huffing red paint.

And what's with those hips & thighs? Ronald, we're glad you cleaned up.

Alloy

Installing terminals doesn't always involve 1 wire - 1 terminal. Many times I'll have 2-#18 into #14 terminal or 2-#14 into #10 terminal.

I have a couple ratcheting crimpers but I grab the Klien insul / non inusl crimpers 95% of the time and carry them when traveling. Had them for years.

1580421311822.png

Couple sets of these for wire stripping. I'll use the next size up so the copper is not damaged i.e. 12ga hole for 14ga wire

1580420950994.png

1580420994652.png

A set of flush cutters that will trim zaps straps off flush so no one gets cut by the sharp end of a zap stap.
1580421173616.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94