**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

Jelorian

Adventurer
Not the easiest to see but this is the Autana Ruggedized mounted to a JKRU to open off the back. The entire back wall of the annex zips open to allow access to the back of the vehicle. I will say that the Autana is a perfect fit for the JK, like it was made for it. As has been mentioned, the Gran Sabana has been renamed to the Autana XL.

For the Tahoe/Suburban I think the XL would be best to accommodate the width of the liftgate or ambulance doors.

Hi Adam,

Based on the info from your website teh Autana XL closed dimensions are 72"W x 48"L x 12"H.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "best to accommodate the width of the liftgate or ambulance doors."

I thought that because of the sheer size of the Autana XL that it would have to open up on the side of my vehicle (03 Suburban Z71) and not over the rear like you have in your pictures with the JKRU.

Also, with the known issues of the water pooling on the rainfly and the DIY solution of creating a brace, why is this not something that was addressed/upgraded in newer models?

Thanks for your insight.

Jel

Box Rocket

Hi Adam,

Based on the info from your website teh Autana XL closed dimensions are 72"W x 48"L x 12"H.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "best to accommodate the width of the liftgate or ambulance doors."

I thought that because of the sheer size of the Autana XL that it would have to open up on the side of my vehicle (03 Suburban Z71) and not over the rear like you have in your pictures with the JKRU.

Also, with the known issues of the water pooling on the rainfly and the DIY solution of creating a brace, why is this not something that was addressed/upgraded in newer models?

Thanks for your insight.

Jel

I was referencing the width in the case the tent was mounted to open off the rear of the vehicle. Yes the XL would be big mounted that direction but I've seen it done. If you're planning to have the tent open off the side, then you can disregard the comment.

TwistedGray

Observer
Okay so I know that I saw this somewhere, but options for additional padding? Right now we are running two obscure sized Costco pads that work great. However, they are not really at all the appropriate size, the don't fold into the tent, and because of that they take up the entire backseat of the Subaru when stowed away.

This is one of the two...they obviously don't lay like this. One third is folded and they're both rotated 90 degrees. Needless to say they work great, but just don't fit well.
20160831_161606.jpg

Binth

I have not found a great solution yet either, it is hard to find anything that matches the dimensions of the current pad, I was considering ordering a new cover and working with a vendor to custom create a new pad that would fit in the cover if I sent it to them. My problem is finding the right density foam for a side sleeper that takes off the pressure points on the hip etc. Does not help that I am a "plus size model" as well...

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I just simply slide a self inflatable Therma-rest under the mattress for longer excursions. Folds right up in my Ruggedized Autana. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Box Rocket

I just simply slide a self inflatable Therma-rest under the mattress for longer excursions. Folds right up in my Ruggedized Autana. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
As a side sleeper myself, this is an effective approach. I don't "need" to do it much since I sleep quite comfortably with just the standard mattress, but I've used my Thermarest a couple times and it was nice. Two of them fit reasonably well under the mattress. What I like best is that I can just deflate them and fold up the tent like normal without taking up any space or making the travel cover fit more tightly.

Box Rocket

And that's enough addition cushion? It certainly doesn't look like it...
I take it you've never used a Thermarest? Comfort is very subjective so what works for one may not work for another. If I'm backpacking, I use just the Thermarest by itself and sleep comfortably so for me this is plenty of extra cushion in the tent if I need it.

TwistedGray

Observer
I take it you've never used a Thermarest? Comfort is very subjective so what works for one may not work for another. If I'm backpacking, I use just the Thermarest by itself and sleep comfortably so for me this is plenty of extra cushion in the tent if I need it.

No, but I do have one from brother-in-law that I might pull out (similar to the linked one earlier). Yes, comfort is very subjective and generally speaking we're more of a plushy sleeper. I'm thinking of tossing a down filled topper in the tent and just using that; although, the fill can easily move around. Alternatively, I might see about getting some piece of foam that I can cut to the appropriate shape and then just deal with the sewing of fabric to make it less "ghetto" looking. ...but if there is something off the shelf that is equally as thick as the costco mattresses we'd be down to just buy that.

Box Rocket

No, but I do have one from brother-in-law that I might pull out (similar to the linked one earlier). Yes, comfort is very subjective and generally speaking we're more of a plushy sleeper. I'm thinking of tossing a down filled topper in the tent and just using that; although, the fill can easily move around. Alternatively, I might see about getting some piece of foam that I can cut to the appropriate shape and then just deal with the sewing of fabric to make it less "ghetto" looking. ...but if there is something off the shelf that is equally as thick as the costco mattresses we'd be down to just buy that.
I know several people have used a 1" or even a 2" memory foam pad on top of the mattress. With any of the options you have to be aware of getting the tent to close properly (enough) so that the travel cover will still fit and zip without too much strain on the zipper, assuming that you plan to leave your additional cushion inside the tent. Otherwise it might be something that needs to be removed before closing the tent.

TwistedGray

Observer
I know several people have used a 1" or even a 2" memory foam pad on top of the mattress. With any of the options you have to be aware of getting the tent to close properly (enough) so that the travel cover will still fit and zip without too much strain on the zipper, assuming that you plan to leave your additional cushion inside the tent. Otherwise it might be something that needs to be removed before closing the tent.

Absolutely, whatever we use will likely end up traveling inside the vehicle (exception: pillows and blankets have proven fine).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior