**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

WillBeck

Adventurer
Sorry for my absence, I've been camping/fishing in the Minnesota Boundary Waters this week with no access to phone or Internet. ��
TheFuture, yes your shortened rails will work fine.
Will, I'll check in Monday where they are with the sheets but I'd expect sometime before the end of June.

Thank you sir. Was hoping to have them before my Bishop to Bodie trip next week, but I can live without them.

DanSharp

Dan, the Gran Sabana should work fine for you. What model Tacoma do you have? More specifically is it a long bed or a short bed? If it's a short bed, the GS will still work but will hang over the tailgate a bit, it's a 4x6' footprint closed.
As for working with the Front Runer rack, that's a great rack but it has a small lip around the perimeter that will prevent any of the fold out style tents from opening all the way unless you have a set of the Front Runner tent "fit kit" brackets. They are essentially a small spacer that will raise the tent up enough to clear the lip on the rack. If I'm not mistake , Front Runner offers two heights for the brackets, a short and a tall. Up to you which you choose.
Let me know if you have any other questions and remember that I can get you 10% off on your tent order.

I have the short bed and as soon as I get it put together(bed rack system) and attached to the bed, I will be in contact to order.

Thank you for the prompt response. Cant wait to get out into the field with this.

-Dan

Last edited:

TheFutur

Adventurer
Sorry for my absence, I've been camping/fishing in the Minnesota Boundary Waters this week with no access to phone or Internet. ��
TheFuture, yes your shortened rails will work fine.
Will, I'll check in Monday where they are with the sheets but I'd expect sometime before the end of June.

Thanks for the conformation! Hope your trip was a good one!

DanSharp

I have the short bed and as soon as I get it put together(bed rack system) and attached to the bed, I will be in contact to order.

Thank you for the prompt response. Cant wait to get out into the field with this.

-Dan

Box Rocket,

I see that there is a local Tepui Tent dealer here in Phoenix. Can I still order through you and work with the local dealer to help install in the bed of my truck? I am having to install this solo and am looking for all options to get this in place.

Please advise and thank you,

Dan Sharp

Box Rocket

Box Rocket,

I see that there is a local Tepui Tent dealer here in Phoenix. Can I still order through you and work with the local dealer to help install in the bed of my truck? I am having to install this solo and am looking for all options to get this in place.

Please advise and thank you,

Dan Sharp
I don't have any connection to your local dealer unfortunately, so I'm happy to send you a tent that you could take to them for the install. However, they may be resistant to that if you didn't purchase the tent from them. FWIW, the install is pretty simple. If you don't have a buddy that can help you lift it, and you're doing it solo, it's not too bad going onto a truck bed. I use this method to get it onto the roof of my cruiser solo. Stand the tent on end behind the open tailgate of your truck. Put something against the tailgate to protect it and lift the tent so that it is now standing up on end on the tailgate (probably leaning against your rack at this point). Then just tip it onto your rack and tighten the bolts. I used this method many times on my Tacoma and as I said, still use it with my cruiser. It helps if you have a small flat dolly to help move the tent around on the ground. I have a cheap rolling 50gal trashcan base that I put the tent on and move it wherever I need it to get it to the truck, or to move it around the garage.

stingray1300

Explorer
I don't have any connection to your local dealer unfortunately, so I'm happy to send you a tent that you could take to them for the install. However, they may be resistant to that if you didn't purchase the tent from them. FWIW, the install is pretty simple. If you don't have a buddy that can help you lift it, and you're doing it solo, it's not too bad going onto a truck bed. I use this method to get it onto the roof of my cruiser solo. Stand the tent on end behind the open tailgate of your truck. Put something against the tailgate to protect it and lift the tent so that it is now standing up on end on the tailgate (probably leaning against your rack at this point). Then just tip it onto your rack and tighten the bolts. I used this method many times on my Tacoma and as I said, still use it with my cruiser. It helps if you have a small flat dolly to help move the tent around on the ground. I have a cheap rolling 50gal trashcan base that I put the tent on and move it wherever I need it to get it to the truck, or to move it around the garage.

I made what I call a "skateboard" for my tent. 1 1/8" plywood and some spare casters. Stand the tent on its side and it rolls anywhere. I used to lift the tent the same way you do Adam, and it was easy enough. I did use a piece of hardboard (Masonite) to make the 'skid' to the top of the truck as easy as possible. But then I found myself bored one day and found some materials. And you probably don't know what you get when you mix boredom, an Ironworker and a welding machine, do you... :sombrero:

tentcrane2.jpg tentcrane3.jpg

TRUBRIT

I used Adams method. I also changed the mounting method. I installed an APEX pack rack and the rails did not really support on all three hoops. This is what I used.
20160610_123156_resized.jpg20160610_124528_resized.jpg20160609_155848_resized.jpg
16 bolts instead of 8. Now the Tent is supported all around.

Henry_G

Observer
Considering a RTT. Would a 3 person tent for 2 people end up being too much weight for a Leer canopy? I purchased it used so I'm not 100% sure on the model or how much weight it can handle.

Box Rocket

Considering a RTT. Would a 3 person tent for 2 people end up being too much weight for a Leer canopy? I purchased it used so I'm not 100% sure on the model or how much weight it can handle.

That is a very common size tent that is used on a number of applications, including on top of canopies. Not all canopies are the same but most of the quality brands (including Leer) will handle the tents just fine when a good rack or set of load bars are used.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Henry_G, My friend Walt ran a Kukenam on his 2015 Tacoma with a Leer cap for him and his girlfriend. Plenty of room for them (they're not big by sny means) and the cap held up just fine.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Now for something completely different:

Tan Ayer on a Jetta City 2008. (BTW, this is a model only found in Canada... I think Mexico has their version too.)

uc

Ok... I understand it's not an "expedition vehicle". But for anybody curious to know if it works on a small car... Well... It does and this is the perfect thread to post it.

Next picture will be in the wild I promise. We're going camping Friday!

I got it from North Shore Off-Road. For a city guy living in a condo with only 1 underground parking space, it will be the perfect base camp for going hiking in the Adirondacks. That's for the next couple of years until we upgrade to a real expedition vehicle.

The product looks really well made! The reviews from this thread were correct! I'll put a detailed review once I've used it.

Thanks for looking and thanks to BoxRocket and North Shore Off-Road for their help.

JeeperJake

Observer
Tepui foxwing?

We're excited about the Tepui version of the "foxwing" awning. Our prototype showed a lot of promise but there were a few minor tweaks we wanted to make to improve the design before it was released. The great thing is that this will be a top quality awning at a dramatically lower price than the other similar awnings. You'll see an announcement made once it's finalized and ready for release.

Throwing back to this old post. Hopefully Tepui can shed some light. When can we expect a tepui foxwing to be out? Wanting a foxwing so bad and might need to buy a competitors.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
My rugged Kukenam was delivered yesterday and I was able to get up to the mountains last night for my first night with it. It took me a while to get it all set up but I expected that as I learn the process. I thought it was comfortable and enjoyed my nights rest in it. One question I had was about the crease or tongue/groove in the middle when its set up. I climbed in and it didn't seem like the two sides were seated great even though they were level. I remember reading about that here somewhere a while back but can't find it now.

Any tips on how to get the two sides seated together or what to check? I'm heading out again Wednesday through Saturday and am excited to continue using it but would like to get this sorted out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior