tent trailer spring over conversion

tacksman

Observer
Hello,
Has anyone ever done a spring over axle on a tent trailer?
I would like the added ground clearance,
It's a 1986 Coleman Sun Valley.
The trailer fully loaded is maybe 3500lbs.
The trailer has no brakes.
Any opinions or ideas are greatly appreciated.:beer:

Brian

VE2WHZ

Adventurer
are your keep the same tire size ???

if put more big juste chekc on your fender ...

go with the SOA ...

and put 2 shock is very nice ...with shock ...

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Lots of people on here have done a spring over axle (SOA)... However I would suggest purchasing a new axle with brakes. Anything over 3000lbs requires brakes legally in a lot of states, and it's really worth it if you ask me. The additional stopping distance with just 3500lbs pushing you will surprise you, especially in an emergency situation.

Like the poster said above, just make sure you'll have the clearances for the bigger tires on your wheel wells and adding a set of shocks will also help greatly.

-

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I don't see a problem with a SOA; I put a SOA on my trailer 8 years ago with no issues what so ever. 3,500 lbs without brakes however is SCARY :Wow1: I once pulled an old wood-chipper without brakes that probably was above 3,500 lbs for about 10 miles and it scared the you-know-what out of me.

tacksman

Observer
Thanks for the help. Brakes are a good idea.
3500lb might be on the high side for trailer weight.
I was looking at http://abctrailerparts.com/ for the parts needed.
I'm going to go with the 3500lb axle with new springs.
i'll post pictures when i get started.

njtaco

Explorer
Good idea, replacing the springs with the axle. Just a reminder...make sure the springs you order are the same width (width of the steel spring, not just distance apart) as the old ones so they fit the shackles and mounts already on the trailer. Either that or plan to replace them to match the new springs.

+1 on shocks, much easier to do now while the trailer is apart.

Don't forget to order bump stops to fit your new dimensions too.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Thanks for the help. Brakes are a good idea.
3500lb might be on the high side for trailer weight.
I was looking at http://abctrailerparts.com/ for the parts needed.
I'm going to go with the 3500lb axle with new springs.
i'll post pictures when i get started.
One thing I would suggest is trying to find a local place that build trailers and sells parts. I went to Kro-Built here in Reno. They saved me a lot of trial and error.

REasley

Adventurer
Lots of people on here have done a spring over axle (SOA)... However I would suggest purchasing a new axle with brakes. Anything over 3000lbs requires brakes legally in a lot of states, and it's really worth it if you ask me. The additional stopping distance with just 3500lbs pushing you will surprise you, especially in an emergency situation.

-

Should you choose to do so, you can add brakes without replacing the axle. If you current axle does not already have the brake flanges in place, they can be added to your axle. The flanges are about $3.00 each. Then just buy the brake backing plates and drums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94