Tent Recommendations

expdtnoffroad

Supporting Sponsor
My Vote: Kirkhams Springbar. Fantastic showroom in SLC where you can walk through every model. I am saving coins for the Vagabond 7. Made in USA and it will be around for decades unlike the disposable tents bought at the local mart. My .02. Rant over.

You gotta love the Springbar. :camping: Also an excellent tent.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Any more input on the Coleman Instant Tent 6 ? Looks to be the one for my needs, but would like some real world input on how it sets up, takes down and just holds up to the weather.

Thanks,
Matt

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After using the new tent for 3 nights down in SE I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing I don't care for is that I wish that the floor of the tent was a thicker material and the amount of mesh lets in a little too much dust still despite being full covered with the rainfly.

thenomad

I have the Sierra Designs Wuhu annex 4+2. Very spacious and rugged. My wife, myself, son and bullmastiff went on a road trip over 10k miles across the U.S. from Maine to California, Oregon and back. We stayed at numerous campgrounds, national and state parks. We spent a week up in the redwoods and it rained almost every day, no leaks. Its been a great tent. The 2+ side we set up a table and stove when it was raining. Setups up pretty quick. Just a thought

I thought the Wu Hu 4 was a nice design but it's huge (16' long) and that kind of space isn't always available.
tietonrally2008026.jpg

rsbmg

Observer
I think its important to note for those people coming in here to help them decide on a tent to point out, no matter how much money you spend or what type of tent you get, all tents suck. Ok in nice weather but throw wind and rain at them and it just blows. And so does the flippac, it is afterall a tent. So RTT Ground tent flippac, they all suck in inclimate weather. But certainly better than sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag! Just don't read about how great a tent is and think you are going to get a comfortable nights sleep in 30 mile an hour winds and pouring rain, it aint happening unless you have some medical problems or a bad drug/alcohol problem.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Just don't read about how great a tent is and think you are going to get a comfortable nights sleep in 30 mile an hour winds and pouring rain, it aint happening unless you have some medical problems or a bad drug/alcohol problem.

What, didn't you learn to sleep inside a kettle drum like I did in the Navy?

expdtnoffroad

Supporting Sponsor
I think the only way that you wouldn't be bothered as much by 30 mph wind is if you were set up in something with hard sides like the AT Teardrop. It's all matter of preference though. I rather like tent camping. Intelligent camp placement has much to do with how much tent camping sucks. Just about any seasoned mountaineer will tell you that. There are comfort factors with tents and inclement weather that should not be overlooked as a comfort factor. Proper guy point design can really affect the livability of a tent in strong winds. I have been in shoddy 3 season tents in 4 season conditions and had everything frosted up by morning. This is a big comfort factor as no one likes to start the morning with a sub zero frost bath. The right tent for the right conditions / use should not be overlooked. Ventilation and breath-ability design (ie quality single wall construction or double wall construction) can really become a worth while expense if you intend to do more than occasional car camping. Just like picking a vehicle there's a butt for every seat. Consider your intended use and then plan and budget from there.

rsbmg

Observer
I tent camp but I also am under no dilusions that someone makes a tent that will be like sleeping in a log cabin. As you said there are things you can do to improve the livability but in bad conditions you just lay there wishing you could be inside something with hard sides. Of course when the weather is nice tent camping can be pretty enjoyable.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I tent camp but I also am under no dilusions that someone makes a tent that will be like sleeping in a log cabin. As you said there are things you can do to improve the livability but in bad conditions you just lay there wishing you could be inside something with hard sides. Of course when the weather is nice tent camping can be pretty enjoyable.

thats not necessarily true. While I use a 4 season tent for much of my family camping. I also use an Alaknak 2 from cabelas for all of my hunting trips. wind, rain, snow, does not matter it just works and yes I get a heck of a nights sleep on the deluxe cot with the 4 inch memory foam. Granted unless your holed up someplace for a week or better it is just to heavy. I feel the same about the canvas wall tents or sheep herders tent but the alaknak can be set up by 1 person.

As I have said many times before I hate hubb style tents such as many of the speed tents. The coleman tent is one of the worst by far
Sierra Designs WuHu is tight!!!

rsbmg

Observer
I think perhaps the disconnect on opinions regarding tents is simply that people have different experiences with what wind and rain are. Stick that alakanak out here in the so cal deserts during a wind storm and lets check it out. Better yet set it up during a wind storm and at night, let me get the video camera out. My point is simply that there are limitations to everything and a tents limitations are substantially lower than a hard side. Its just the way it is.

dirtysouth

Adventurer

Hopefully anyone looking at buying a tent should already know that it won't compare to sleeping inside a "log cabin". I've had good nights and bad nights in tents, but then again, I've also had good nights and bad nights in hotels.

Knowing what the weather is going to do before setting out, or paying attention to the changing weather conditions if you're already out, will prevent a lot of discomfort while tent camping. Of course, there is always the possibility that a freak storm blows up. :sombrero:

Viggen

Just here...
I have a Big Agnus Big House 4 with the vestibule and it is awesome. Great quality, nice storage and skylight, and good room inside. Ive never had a bad nights sleep in it. Even on the windiest of days/ nights.

Vapor_Trails

I didn't see anyone mention Springbar or Kodiak Canvas. Unless I'm backpacking or motorcycle camping (neither of which I do much of anymore) I don't think I'd ever go back to synthetic tents.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with my Kodiak 10x10 Deluxe.

But, for a smaller more packable tent like OP is looking for I'd go with the Springbar Outfitter 3.
3001cr-sm.jpg

RyanPont

Adventurer
This weekend, I just picked up a Marmot Limestone 6 person tent. REI had it on sale, and the two REI people I talked too had nothing but positive remarks for it. Even over the the REI brand tents I was interested in. Anyone have any experience with this tent, or marmot brand in general. Good or Bad Id like to hear it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94